Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 PM

197 posts, read 279,989 times

Advertisements

Are supermarkets allowed to sell alcohol? If so, all kinds or just one or two? Does alcohol have to be in a separate room from the rest of the store? Do liquor stores have to be closed Sundays by law? Are store staff especially pushy about checking ages/IDs of customers? I ask all this because I am traveling to Omaha for business in the next month and just want to not look like an idiot when buying a six pack or bottle of anything. I know this is probably a better question for the Nebraska state section of this site, but some states give more authority over liquor to city governments, such as Maryland which I spend a lot of time in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,907 times
Store staff and restaurant waitresses will needlessly check your ID. You could be buying a bottle of wine with your groceries, be in your mid-30's, a regular shopper there, and walking home, and they will require an ID. Otherwise Nebraska is very lax about alcohol. You probably won't see a single police officer the entire time you're in the state.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,398 times
Real lax. No booze before noon on Sunday is pretty much it. The ID thing can be hit or miss, don't be surprised if your asked.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monicapies View Post
Are supermarkets allowed to sell alcohol? If so, all kinds or just one or two? Does alcohol have to be in a separate room from the rest of the store? Do liquor stores have to be closed Sundays by law? Are store staff especially pushy about checking ages/IDs of customers? I ask all this because I am traveling to Omaha for business in the next month and just want to not look like an idiot when buying a six pack or bottle of anything. I know this is probably a better question for the Nebraska state section of this site, but some states give more authority over liquor to city governments, such as Maryland which I spend a lot of time in.
Most supermarkets sell both liquor and wine/beer, some stores have it separated but it is not a requirement. IDs really depend on the cashier and how old you look but i dont see why you wouldnt bring your ID with you if you're traveling anyway. The only restriction is no alcohol sunday morning for whatever reason.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM

306 posts, read 714,185 times
If you're under 40, prepare to have your ID checked. Depending on the store policy plus the threat of internal and law enforcement sting operations, the cashier is most likely trying not to get in trouble or ticketed.

Actually in Omaha you can buy beer and wine before Noon, but most stores probably won't allow it. Basically if you want to drink before noon on Sunday, get your stuff the day beforehand.

ARTICLE I. IN GENERAL

Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Yea, police here can't perform basic law enforcement functions, but they're all about the sting operations where 40 year olds are buying a bottle of wine. Welcome to Nebraska.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM

12 posts, read 21,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Yea, police here can't perform basic law enforcement functions, but they're all about the sting operations where 40 year olds are buying a bottle of wine. Welcome to Nebraska.
You don't have the slightest damn idea what we do. We didn't become one of the most professional and respected police departments in the United States by acting being incompetent.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaSWAT_Guy View Post
You don't have the slightest damn idea what we do. We didn't become one of the most professional and respected police departments in the United States by acting being incompetent.
How would you know what I know? Also, your version of "professional and respected" must be different than mine.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:23 PM

12 posts, read 21,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
How would you know what I know? Also, your version of "professional and respected" must be different than mine.
In my professional experience, when someone makes a statement as clearly incorrect as you did it becomes a red flag to someone who doesn't know what they think they do. Who knows what your idea of professional and respected is, but I spent 20 years as a member of the Omaha PD and worked side by side with some of the most professional police officers in the country. I was also lucky enough to spend some of my later years in a position that allowed me to interact with police officers from all over the country and heard from them how well respected our department was. That's my frame of reference. Think yours can compete?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaSWAT_Guy View Post
I spent 20 years as a member of the Omaha PD and worked side by side with some of the most professional police officers in the country. I was also lucky enough to spend some of my later years in a position that allowed me to interact with police officers from all over the country and heard from them how well respected our department was. That's my frame of reference. Think yours can compete?
Well, of course you would think highly of any organization you are involved with that closely and for that long. I think highly of my dog, who I was lucky enough to grow up side by side with. It doesn't make my dog professional nor respected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: