Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 31,666 times

Advertisements

I took a job up here from San Diego to work on the base...man what a change.
Your life really slows down here, allows you to enjoy life much more. I was raised in the Midwest so maybe thats why i like it, but my wife being from California understands why we moved here....cheap housing, great place to raise kids. Yea the weather is rough, but it sure is nice to have actual seasons again! My suggestion is to look for something on the west side of Omaha cause everything new is being built there and i think you get more for your money. And if you plan on working at Offutt...stay in Bellevue, they have the best school system in the area and being close to the base during bad weather is ideal. Stay away from Papillion, La Vista and especially Ralston (people are a little strange and redneckish) the drive to the base is extremely slow and backed up from these areas. Plattsmouth is Redneck ville too but its mostly interstate to the base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro1 View Post
IAnd if you plan on working at Offutt...stay in Bellevue, they have the best school system in the area and being close to the base during bad weather is ideal. Stay away from Papillion, La Vista and especially Ralston (people are a little strange and redneckish) the
Huh?

That's the first time I've ever heard Papillion/Ralston/LaVista refered to as redneck in comparison to Bellevue.

Also I don't think Bellevue's schools stand out over Ralston or Papillion/LaVista - all are pretty much on par with each other.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM

475 posts, read 2,234,722 times
Agreed. I've lived here all of my life... I have many friends/acquaintances from both Bellevue and La Vista/Papillion... I've never been able to discern or draw such sweeping generalizations of one versus the other... any more so than I could... well... about small town versus 'big city' people.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM

Default Big O

I was only refering to Ralton, Papillion and LaVista are pretty much the same.
But i had to group them together for traffic reasons.
And as far as schools is concerned, i have always heard that Bellevue has always been known for their top notch school system, i don't have stats for you but, again, just what i heard. Not to say i believe any of it.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 AM

I'm sorry, but you cannot take a community of 6,000 people... comprising all income types, blue collar and white collar, conservative and liberal (of course mostly conservative throughout the metro/state)... and label them in the way you are.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 AM

I am just one person, placing an opinion on a opinionated site.
All i can say is go to a Ralston sporting event and watch every parent in every age group and you will see what i am talking about. No...i am sure not everyone is that way in Ralston but after a while you begin to think.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Yeah, its my opinion that that characterization of Ralston, Papillion, and LaVista are off the mark. Papillion is ranked as a top 10 place to live in the U.S. I have nothing against Bellevue, but there is no difference between the 4 areas.

And as far as schools go I've always heard that Millard schools were the best metro schools in the area (that has to make you grin stargazer...)

Old 01-30-2008, 07:29 PM

Yeah, I deserve that.

Although I can't recall if I mentioned it... but I actually think District 66 has the 'best' schools in the metro (and why wouldn't I... I'm a graduate ). Unfortunately, I can't afford the same home there... as I can in Millard.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:21 PM

Millard...well, I do think their schools are nice but, i don't think money buys good education, or maybe it does.
Papillion and the random ranked placed to live based on....you guessed it....opinion.
try again.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM

Didn't that murderer graduate from Papillion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha