Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:51 AM

26 posts, read 137,420 times

Advertisements

There would have to have been more to it to be forced to carry SR-22. That is usually used when someone has had their license suspended or revoked, for example because of a points violation or a DUI. I've never ever heard of anything like that for only a lack of "proof" ticket.

not necessarily. I have seen people get their drivers license suspended and sometimes an SR22 is required for no insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 02:08 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
Yeah, I agree that it's possible, but on a straight up insurance lapse its highly unlikely. That's why I think there is more to it somehow. But if you caught a judge on a real bad day I suppose anything is possible.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:57 AM

13 posts, read 101,810 times
Look, I totally admit to noy carrying insurance and that is illegal and dangerous. I forgot, thats it. I could have afforded it, I just plain forgot. Its been a rough year, and I neglected to get coverage. I just do not want to do jail time for a mistake like this. I work full time, have a family and have never commited any other crime than this. I just hope that if even on a bad day, I dont have to go through all that trouble. But I will obviously except what I get. I just feel if jail time is given, that would be a bit harsh, I would lose my job and I dont know how that would effect my kids. It is a lesson learned, I could have caused an even worse problem had their been an accident. I have coverage now, and have since right after I got the ticket, I also have direct payment set up so that there will NEVER be a lapse again. I am hoping that a judge can understand this, and be lenient. I have had people tell me I might go to jail, I might get and sr-22, I might get my licsense suspended, i might get a fine, or it might even be dissmissed. I find it ridiculous for a first time offense to be facing any of that. I am looking in the lincoln paper and there are people with 3rd DUI'd, no insurnace, ficticious plates, license suspended, and they simply get a 400 dollar fine. Now that, is ridiculous.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM

MJSMOM,

Don't worry about. Some above are being overly critical of insurance violations and the case of SR-22 sounds somewhat suspicious to me. Technically its possible, but I've never heard of anyone being forced to get SR-22 for only an insurance lapse, there were always other circumstances involved.

Its like an MIP charge...technically you could go to jail for 6 months, but that never ever happens.

Don't worry...trust the reports you see in the newspaper. What was the amount I mentioned through PM?? $148 I think??

Old 11-28-2007, 12:11 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Don't worry...trust the reports you see in the newspaper. What was the amount I mentioned through PM?? $148 I think??

Which would be the $100 everyone has thrown around plus court costs??

Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default I wouldn't be all too worried about it..

Get the insurance now, if you do, you will be completely fine...

Don't worry about other people judging you, most people understand that accidents happen and to judge your integrity and character over this is very silly..

Old 11-28-2007, 08:28 PM

She got the insurance a few days after the ticket. People were coming down on her pretty hard and I'm not sure why. Allowing your insurance to lapse is a pretty easy thing to do. Those in glasses houses....

Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM

482 posts, read 2,226,242 times
mjsmom.

Relax you will not go to jail. This is a traffic ticket not a crime. Yes it is a violation of the law, but it does not fall under the criminal violations part of the State laws of Nebraska. If you have your insurance now and got it shortly after the ticket was given you will be fined at the worse and I hope that you get the ticket dismissed. If you have other violations in the past then the dismissing of the ticket will most likely not happen.

As for Matt's posting about "a Judge having a bad day", well a Judge can not really let his personal feelings for a day enter into him rendering a fair ruling based upon law to enter into his rulings. Does it happen, it might, but in all of the years, since 1979, that I have been dealing with Judges in courts across Nebrasksa, as a Nebraska Police Officer, I never seen this happen one time that was apparent. They have always been fair in their rulings based upon the facts of the case presented to them and based upon past rulings in cases just like yours based up the facts of your case.

Post here on what happened to you in court after it is done. Once again I wish you luck and hope that the ticket is dismissed.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 AM

Kos,

I am fully aware of what a judge's obligations are. My "judge having a bad day" comment was a figure of speech! Further, judges are human...they can have days where they may come down on some a little harder than usual.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 AM

26 posts, read 137,420 times
I hope you didn't think I was judging her for not having insurance. I was just stating what I have seen happen regarding not having insurance and SR22's and/or suspended licenses. I work with insurance so I see more of this than the average person.

Also, not to say this person did this, but it is amazing how many people get insurance when their vehicles need licensed, pay a month's premium, and then let it cancel for nonpayment of premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: