Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 PM

39 posts, read 163,436 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband and I just moved to Omaha because of a job change and I was wondering if there is any advise you'd give us for enjoying the area and making new friends? We are in our early 50's, no kids. Thanks for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 02:25 PM

217 posts, read 207,407 times
It really depends on what you like to do. What part of Omaha did you move too? What are your hobbies/interests?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,592 times
Welcome! Visit Regency Shopping, there is a Paradise bakery there that locals hang at and have coffee in the morning. There are a few events you must do every year, like College World Series and such. And you must visit Runza too!

I grew up here and moved back after being in Colorado for 23 years! I do not regret it at all. Although this cold weather needs to go away!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:16 AM

906 posts, read 1,807,015 times
Stay on top of your health - either the YMCA, a gym like Lifetime Fitness, or some kind of indoor athletic league. Get a bicycle or find a running path or pool. The fierce weather tends to make people prisoners in their own house, and unless you stay active you'll become obese fast.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:10 PM

29 posts, read 83,889 times
Heya - where are ya from in STL? I really miss White Castle and Ted Drewe's. I don't even think there's a Steak 'n Shake here.

If y'all are drinkers, there are a lot of bars around here. It's pretty easy to go out and meet new people that way. I've made a lot of buddies over random pool tables.
Do you ride motorcycles? Bicycles? Have any hobbies like walking trails, tennis, whatever? All good ways to meet people.
Also, there are no MLB teams around here, so it seems like a fairly even mix of Cards fans, Cubs fans, and a few Royals fans, so it's usually pretty easy to strike up a conversation as far as that goes.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:34 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,189,381 times
Enjoy yourself! There are lots of events going on, places to go see and some nice scenery in the area. Our weather is varied, with warm summers and a winter that has very cold to mild stretches.

Here's a breakdown of our averages:
80-86 average highs - June, July, August
70-79 average highs - May, September
60-69 average highs - April, October
50-59 average highs - March, November
40-49 average highs- February (40, to be more on point)
33-39 average highs - January, December

29 inches of rain
26 inches of snow
as much sunshine as many southern locations

Old 04-03-2015, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,975 times
It depends on what you like to do, i am an over 50 transplant to Omaha myself. Coming from Washington, DC, I had culture shock at first, but if you are into live music, you will love it here. I just started going out to the same kind of music events and noticed that I was seeing many of the same people, I like to frequent Jazz and Blues events (check out the Omaha Blues Society and Love's Jazz) and there are free outdoor concerts all summer long.

People in Omaha are very friendly and easy to strike up a conversation with.

It's a little harder to find the older crowd and they don't go out drinking and partying, but you can definitely find us at live music events. And don't forget to check out MeetUp.com, there are tons of different interest groups in Omaha. And there are a few 50+ meet-up groups.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 PM

77 posts, read 131,955 times
If you're Downtown and the weather is agreeable, make sure to check out the Heartland of America Park and walk around the lake while taking in the Missouri River! When the sun is out, it's easily the most beautiful place Downtown and there's actually quite a bit of wildlife. I feed the geese bread right out of my hand on average about once a week, and many of these "city birds" have no fear and are very comfortable with human interaction.

Yes the lake is small and man-made, but it's all we've got Downtown and so I certainly make the most of it. As an aside, there's great jogging there too.

Welcome!

Old 04-09-2015, 12:43 PM

906 posts, read 1,807,015 times
The distance on that path around the lake is about 1 mile, so that makes it easy to count your miles when jogging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: