Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 08:19 AM

116 posts, read 280,822 times

Advertisements

Was this worth it? Did this "save the University money" like he envisioned? University of Nebraska-Omaha decision to cut football, wrestling angers some - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 02:50 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,180,024 times
The are moving to D-1 and building a new arena. Seem to be doing fine financially now. They couldn't keep subsidizing the football program with academic money.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:00 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,149,040 times
I was really disappointed when I moved to Omaha only to find out that they no longer had a team. Really looks like this was probably driven by Nebraska's fear of a UNO D1 program drawing off players. It doesn't sound like they were running at that big of a loss (ie an instate rivalry game each year would have put them in the black as well as be a boon for the local economy), and I have trouble seeing soccer or golf as money making sports.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,305,240 times
I was disappointed they got rid of football too. UNO wouldn't have had the kind of all-around power that UNL does. UNO would most likely lose most recruits to Nebraska, and the game would become a yearly warm up game for Nebraska.

An Auburn vs Alabama style game for UNO and UNL was something I had always dreamt of. But it really was a pipe dream because UNO is so much , lesser known, and less powerful than UNL, I think nothing great would have come of it.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:57 PM

152 posts, read 243,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I was really disappointed when I moved to Omaha only to find out that they no longer had a team. Really looks like this was probably driven by Nebraska's fear of a UNO D1 program drawing off players. It doesn't sound like they were running at that big of a loss (ie an instate rivalry game each year would have put them in the black as well as be a boon for the local economy), and I have trouble seeing soccer or golf as money making sports.
It seems odd that, though everyone made a big deal of it initially, nobody seems to say much about the loss of UNO Football. And no, I don't think that there was any fear from Lincoln that the UNO program would start siphoning players away from the Huskers.

Whatever the reasoning, UNO seems to not only being doing fine, but doing very well. The campus is expanding rapidly, down into the old Aksarben area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha