U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2007, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 31,643 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Omaha soon, will be working near the UofN Med Center. Looking for the best public school districts with in 25 miles of the Medical Center. Also any opinions on private schools with in same area? Is traffic an issue near the med center, I drive 45 min one way to work now & would not want to extend that time.
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 07:20 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,530,607 times
Good schools... all will be within your 25 mile criteria. There are also many options to getting to the Med Center so depending on time of day you will get familiar with the traffic patterns and avoid the worst paths... Even worst case you are well within your 45 minute limit.

Papillion/LaVista (http://www.paplv.esu3.org/ - broken link),
Elkhorn,
Gretna,
Westside (aka District 66)

Last edited by Dave1215; 11-22-2007 at 07:28 PM..

Old 11-22-2007, 07:22 PM

The Catholic school system is strong at all grade levels. For younger grades there are a couple of other options (religious) as well. The only non-religous private school I am aware of is Montesorri.

Check out this website for a listing of both Public and Private. I don't know the source of this site, so can't vouch for the content, but the list looks good.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks, I just found out last Wed. that I would be moving. Just starting the reasearch process. The public schools look promising (more than one choice/area). As far as living would there be any areas to avoid? (Crime/poor schools/Flooding) I'm looking to spend no more than 130K- 170K on a house.
My only other concern is the weather, it has been awhile since I lived with ice/snow.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude3 View Post
Thanks, I just found out last Wed. that I would be moving. Just starting the reasearch process. The public schools look promising (more than one choice/area). As far as living would there be any areas to avoid? (Crime/poor schools/Flooding) I'm looking to spend no more than 130K- 170K on a house.
My only other concern is the weather, it has been awhile since I lived with ice/snow.
Avoid "North Omaha" which is really NorthEast Omaha... now with that said, the boundaries of the bad area are jagged and there are some great urban areas and beautiful homes in some of that part... but if you are East of 60th and North of Dodge please research the specific area closely.

Question is do you want Urban, Suburban, or Rural?? you will have all 3 choices based on your criteria..

130-170 should not lock you out of any of those 3 enviornments.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:41 AM

Thanks for the info, I prefer suburban and would consider rural with urban being my last resort. I plan on renting for the first 3-6 months, do you have any opinions on decent apartments with in the area of the medical center.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:40 AM

46 posts, read 213,487 times
i attended bellevue west high school in Bellevue, it was a good school

much better than the one i'm going to now in virginia beach

Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM

I did a previous post with a lot of nice apt options in the Papillion area (Suburban in nature and named the 6th Best Place in the Nation to Live).... I'll find that post and copy the information into this one later today.

Apt options around the Med Center you will find - it attracts a lot of college students so there are rentals, but I'm not familiar with those.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
I did a previous post with a lot of nice apt options in the Papillion area (Suburban in nature and named the 6th Best Place in the Nation to Live).... I'll find that post and copy the information into this one later today.
Here is the previous post I had made:

Here is some info that might jumpstart things for you…. This is focused on Papillion a suburban area. If looking for Rural or Urban then would have some different thoughts. More Rural would be the suggestions like Glenwood... more Urban would be the inner/older parts of Omaha (but be real careful of area if looking this direction - repost for opinions on good/bad areas)

Papillion Specific Info (can't go wrong)
Lots of Texans in Papillion and also lots of retired military end up in Papillion (didn't want to come to Nebraska but once here decided to retire and stay)

For Apartments:
-------------------
I do not live in an apartment and am not a renter, so this is not a recommendation. No idea of management quality or rents, but would be one that I would check out if I was moving into an apartment and wanted to keep rents down., but have you looked at:

Here are ones that appear to be kept up nicely, I have never heard of any problems with them, they are not large, most are in walking distance to a school and park, all are close to one of the nicest malls in the Metro area (ShadowLake Towne Center), close to churches, close to a regional park with a small lake and great outdoor amphitheatre, close to junior highs and high schools.

All in Papillion, NE (other local options being LaVista or Ralston)
The Aspens 402-592-9305;
Gold Coast apartments 1213 Gold Coast Rd 402-339-8773
Meridian Club 402-331-4242 (probably the nicest of all I've mentioned – at least from the outside);
Monarch Group 1120 Delmar;
Papillion Heights 402-331-3931;
Park Terrace 402-345-3400
Tara Hills Villa 402-339-3665; and
Village at Papillion 1605 Barrington Parkway.

There are some others in Papillion that appear a little less well kept so I did not list them. None of the ones listed are huge complexes - they are all tucked into residential areas and fit in nicely.

If after all of that you budget still needs something on the lower end there are 3 or 4 I could list as well.

For Homes:
---------------
Lower price range check the original part of Papillion. Older homes, little smaller, generally kept up well, close to schools, parks and churches.

You can also find moderate priced and also very high end homes. To buy, both previous owner and new construction. Many many options if buying.

Century 21 – Papillion has a longtime presence in the area. Also have some realtors that have been in the area a long time and you see a lot of their signs. Their number is 402-339-2001. I have no interest in this company or any of their realtors, but they are probably the most widely seen. There are other good ones as well. Check out the Chamber of Commerce directory or the local Omaha Board of Realtors for other names and options.

Misc
-----
City of Papillion: City of Papillion
Papillion LaVista Schools: Papillion-La Vista Public Schools (http://www.paplv.esu3.org - broken link)
Sarpy Chamber of Commerce: Sarpy County Chamber of Commerce
Shadow Lake Towne Center: Shadow Lake Towne Center - Home

Hope this helps

Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, the info has been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or