Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,586 times

Advertisements

I will be going to MCC in a couple of months, and found a house for rent not too far from there. I've seen a LOT of people who are deathly afraid of North Omaha, probably because of ethnic diversity or the gang-on-gang crimes that pad the crime stats for the area.

Yeah, I know West O is a lot more "safer" because it's more suburban, and doesn't look as gritty as a city setting would look like.

I grew up in Brooklyn (New York, not Iowa lol) and lived in a great Irish neighborhood, which was surrounded by a few neighborhoods that I wouldn't LIVE in, but had no fears of walking through at any time of day. Even walking on blocks between project housing to get to a store, as long as you mind your own and don't bring it, they'll mind their own and you won't get it.

I'm looking for anyone who lives in north Omaha NOW, not 20 years ago, or went there once or twice. As long as you mind your own business and don't cause a problem, and are respectful, will I STILL need to plan my own funeral if I walk to classes once in a while? Yah I'm laying on a little thick, but honestly, I think some of the comments in the threads I've read are a little over the top. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:47 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,294 times
Although I don't live in true North Omaha (I live on the edge and over the years I can see it changing into part of North Omaha from a cultural standpoint) I have consistantly ridden the bus and walked to the Fort Omaha campus. I was a little hesitant the first time, seeing how there's people who hype the area to be a place you'd be crazy to expose yourself to.

But I started walking down 30th street to the North Omaha Transit Center because it allows me to catch an earlier bus. I started off kind of sketchy, but now that I've done it so many times without incident I'm really not worried. I do still take special note of my surroundings when I walk that stretch because the truth of the matter is you're more likely to encounter problems in the area. It's just not as extreme as some people would have you believe. I haven't walked the streets after dark, so I couldn't comment on that.

There are some people who live in North Omaha on here so they should be able to chime in for you. I hope I've helped.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDaniels View Post
I will be going to MCC in a couple of months, and found a house for rent not too far from there. I've seen a LOT of people who are deathly afraid of North Omaha, probably because of ethnic diversity or the gang-on-gang crimes that pad the crime stats for the area.

Yeah, I know West O is a lot more "safer" because it's more suburban, and doesn't look as gritty as a city setting would look like.

I grew up in Brooklyn (New York, not Iowa lol) and lived in a great Irish neighborhood, which was surrounded by a few neighborhoods that I wouldn't LIVE in, but had no fears of walking through at any time of day. Even walking on blocks between project housing to get to a store, as long as you mind your own and don't bring it, they'll mind their own and you won't get it.

I'm looking for anyone who lives in north Omaha NOW, not 20 years ago, or went there once or twice. As long as you mind your own business and don't cause a problem, and are respectful, will I STILL need to plan my own funeral if I walk to classes once in a while? Yah I'm laying on a little thick, but honestly, I think some of the comments in the threads I've read are a little over the top. Thanks!
I live in North Omaha NOW. Have for years.

There are a few areas that are not safe to be in, but you wouldn't be tempted to rent an apartment there anyway - unless you're stupid.

The overwhelming majority of problems in North Omaha are gang wannabes who are running around shooting at each other at all hours of the night. Sometimes they go after each other in the middle of the day. But this is NOT random crime.

The area right around the Fort Street Campus of MCC is getting better. If you're not a paranoid white farm boy, or suburbanite, you'll do just fine.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
While I didn't live in "true" North Omaha, I was in an area (41st and Ames) that is the general public refers to as North Omaha. The area was a decent middle class area when my parents first moved there and for the early years of my life, but it had gone down hill around the time we moved to Council Bluffs (1996).

If you've been through the rough areas of Brooklyn, you won't have anything to worry about it North Omaha.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
While I didn't live in "true" North Omaha, I was in an area (41st and Ames) that is the general public refers to as North Omaha. The area was a decent middle class area when my parents first moved there and for the early years of my life, but it had gone down hill around the time we moved to Council Bluffs (1996).

If you've been through the rough areas of Brooklyn, you won't have anything to worry about it North Omaha.
I agree. Brooklyn is probably way worse than North Omaha.

I grew up not far from there (30th and Martin ave), but I would feel OK walking by myself for the most part in north omaha. I actually went to miller park elementary through 3rd grade actually. My grandfather that I dont speak to still lives in that area, as well as my 2 aunts. They've been there for 30+ years with no issue, they're only a few blocks away from MCC. There'd be a few sketchy areas I probably wouldnt, but miller park is one area i'd be OK in. But, for a family I wouldnt necessarily recommend it.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 8,105 times
Brooklyn is probably way worse than North Omaha. Omaha's version of ghetto and crime is nothing compared to most other states.

However, my HONEST experience:

I lived in North Omaha twice for short periods of time. The first time, I accidentally lived in between a gang and a drama-obsessed young mom of 5. It was awful, and quite intimidating to try to leave my house after dark... Which, in the winter time, is about 7 PM.

The second time, I lived in Northampton Apartments for 6 months. In that 6 months, my car was broken into and I was hooted and hollered at by large, intimidating men sitting on stoops every time I walked from my door to my car. Even during the day. The neighbor girl tried to break in while I was in the apartment. My boyfriend went to MCC at the time, and at one point it was locked down because a shooter was on campus, and he wasn't allowed to leave. I didn't live alone either of these times, and I still didn't feel comfortable.

We did move to West Omaha for about a year, and it was expensive and very neighborhood-y. Not very city like.

Living in Benson or Dundee or midtown is more city like with less crime and sketch. Even living in South O is better, in my opinion.

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2013, 10:27 PM

152 posts, read 244,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDaniels View Post

I'm in the Bemis Park area, but very familiar with the Fort Street Campus of MCC. That is a "block by block" area of town. There are some gorgeous areas, and then there are a few streets I wouldn't even want to drive through in the middle of the day.

Perhaps you could give us a specific address that you're looking at?

Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,417 times
My advice to you is stay out of North O. Buy a car and drive and out as needed.

Omaha is a 20 minute drive thru town, you can get anywhere in a few minutes of driving. You can get a nice place away from the thug life and not worry about it.......... consentrate on your studies.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
Richard Sherman said using the word thug is the accepted way of calling someone the n word.

Richard Sherman equates being called a ‘thug’ to a racial slur | For The Win

Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Noun1.thug - an aggressive and violent young criminal

Seems legit to me. Who cares what a football guy has to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha