U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 PM

662 posts, read 1,379,410 times

Advertisements

It very well could. When an area is upgraded to 3G/EVDO, that's where the bandwidth is applied. Usually, alltel keeps 1x data service usable up for roamers on Sprint or Verizon, but in Omaha where Sprint and Verizon also sell service, it's very possible that alltel decided the 1x data was not worth maintaining because of it affecting a very small number of people. In this case, 1x is only used by most alltel customers, without an EVDO phone, usually for small things such as axcess applications, downloading ringtones etc. that would require minimal bandwidth. I'm not entirely sure what changes were because I don't work for them and have no way of gaining internal info about the area though. As much as I know people hate calling in, it might be worth calling into tech support (not customer service) and reporting the issue to see what info they'll give you. They might even find a wrong setting on your account. Tech support usually has a very short wait time unlike Customer Service.

If you're about to upgrade to a 3G device and want to see if that'll correct your alltel data service, imo that should correct any problems. Are you wanting to connect your laptop to the internet or just use it on your phone with a pda/smartphone? All pda/Smartphones are EVDO capable and and most newer regular phones are also EVDO capable. Make sure to check the technical specs though because some are not such as the V3a Razr.

If you do want to try another provider, I checked all the high-speed data maps on their websites. Verizon and Sprint are the only other providers that offer EVDO in Omaha and the prices are a little higher though. Through all of NE though, Verizon's high-speed is limited to the Omaha area, and Sprint's is limited to Omaha and Lincoln. At&t is EDGE only at about 100-120 kbps and offers no 3G yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:25 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,796,810 times
Hmmm....I'm betting that is the issue. The fact that it all of a sudden just started happening and is geographically predictable would seem to suggest its a result of a change in there bandwidth.

I'll be using it for a PDA/Smartphone. Maybe that will solve the problem.

It sounds to me that at the current time Alltel is still my best bet. Maybe I just need a hardware upgrade.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 AM

5 posts, read 12,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Mez,

I've generally heard good things about Verizon. Also, I used to go out to north central Nebraska and Verizon seemed to have about the same service as Alltel. Someon had told me that Verizon piggy backed off the Alltel network in western Nebraska. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not...just what someone told me. Is that at all accurate?
Matt,
That is correct. With the exception of Lincoln and Omaha areas along State road 6, Verizon operates on Alltel's network. Once, you leave those cities, you lose the data network for Verizon. Try this link and see if it helps you at all. http://vzwmap.verizonwireless.com/viewer (broken link)

Old 01-05-2008, 11:11 PM

189 posts, read 24,378 times
Matt,
...I have had a Verizon wireless card for my own laptop over a year. Data Service in metro areas like Omaha and Lincoln is good, but rural areas no service/slow service.
...When my company closed our branch here and we began telecommute they set me up with a Data plan through their cell provider, Alltel to access internet on the co. laptop. It has worked very well, at speeds almost 2X Verizons, and it has worked all over Nebraska, even rural areas(alabeit a little slower, to be expected though)
...This 'add-on' data plan adds about $20 to the cell phone plan, seems well worth it, for internet access any time. The cord supplied with the kit plugs into laptop USB and that cord has a duplex plug built in to keep the phone charger hooked up up.
...I'm no 'techie' but did an online speed test with the wireless card and cell modem:
wireless card 349.7 Kbits, Cell modem(alltel) 486.5 Kbits
Beats dial-up anyways.
Verizon Online SpeedTest

Old 01-24-2008, 05:24 PM

81 posts, read 134,579 times
I've used Alltel and AT&T. Alltel has more coverage overall, but AT&T is rapidly growing. In the Lincoln/Omaha area it almost seems like AT&T now has overall stronger signals and better sound quality. Outside of the metro areas, Alltel has better rural coverage -- though they aren't the near-exclusive that they were even a couple years ago.

Last year I spent a week in Walthill (Thurston County). Alltel was limited to one bar with sporadic voice coverage and even more sporadic (and slow) data. AT&T's new coverage map indicates they have moderate voice and data coverage there.

My family is staying on Alltel, and I am not trying to convince them to switch to AT&T, but I am happy with the switch I made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha