Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,511,546 times

Advertisements

Climb aboard Omaha's 'Metro' - Omaha.com

Metro Area Transit, Omaha's transit authority, announced Monday that it is dropping the "MAT" name and now will go by "Metro." The new logo is a blue "M".

The transit authority is asking the public "to think differently about public transportation," said Curt Simon, Metro's executive director. "This new image shows we are, too."

more... Climb aboard Omaha's 'Metro' - Omaha.com

btw:

the omaha area stops at 120th street according to Curt Simon and the folks at what used to be called MAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Home - Metro

is mat's new website.

still no route from westroads mall to elkhorn (204th and maple)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/We-wan...26214820748295

still at the Metro (aka MAT)

Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,460,409 times
Their customers are people that either don't have a car, or have moved into a specific area to utilize public transport. They aren't going to burn fuel to cruise out to Elkhorn to pick up 2 people and drive all the way back to Westroads for a couple bucks then drive those 2 people all the way back.

People didn't move south of Harrison and west of 120th because of the great public transportation. The vast majority of the people in those areas have cars. Especially south, because they don't even bus the school kids out there, either you live really close to work or school, or you have a car. Otherwise you'd live in Midtown like the rest of the bus clientel.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM

116 posts, read 280,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post
Their customers are people that either don't have a car, or have moved into a specific area to utilize public transport. They aren't going to burn fuel to cruise out to Elkhorn to pick up 2 people and drive all the way back to Westroads for a couple bucks then drive those 2 people all the way back.

People didn't move south of Harrison and west of 120th because of the great public transportation. The vast majority of the people in those areas have cars. Especially south, because they don't even bus the school kids out there, either you live really close to work or school, or you have a car. Otherwise you'd live in Midtown like the rest of the bus clientel.

I disagree, I think if it was available and efficient, I think people will use it whether they own a car or not. I live in NW Omaha, and if there was a bus route that ran from 132nd and Fort or Maple to Downtown, I would utilize it instead of driving my own car and spend twice as much on gas money.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:29 PM

624 posts, read 1,303,722 times
Aside from the Elkhorn route that Metro should implement if they want to get serious, I think the name change is a step in the right direction. The website is great and is up to par with the better transit operations out there. I found a few little things they need to fix, but I bet they'll get to it. All in all, this face change has already made my perception of Omaha public transportation better. Imagine what people new to buses will think. Maybe people will start to notice that we actually do have a bus system. I still find it hard to fathom the fact that there are people in Omaha that don't know we have public transportation. This should help.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM

624 posts, read 1,303,722 times
Oh, I forgot to mention, I saw somewhere that the were going to put Wifi at all of their transit centers. If that's going to happen, what's after that? Intelligent bus system? I could totally see Metro putting that out if they really are trying. I mean, even Lincoln already has that, so why wouldn't we? I could see stops with real time information about bus arrival times and rider alerts as well as intersection announcements on buses in the near future.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheaton View Post

excuse me, but drop the 2 people only ride at a time crap. I was on the 14 bus yesterday and there were 15 people on the bus around noon.

it is obvious you havent ridden a MAT bus in a long time. the 4/14/8 are usually full when I ride them. the 2 and 3 and 15 are heavily used also.

the buses except late at night are usually busy.

I did hear plans for MAT to have a route from westroads to 204th and maple. it was said on wowt yesterday.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM

Climb aboard Omaha's 'Metro'‎

Climb aboard Omaha's 'Metro' - Omaha.com

Omaha Bus System Gets Multimillion-Dollar Upgrade

Omaha Bus System Gets Multimillion-Dollar Upgrade - Most Popular News Story - KETV Omaha (http://www.ketv.com/mostpopular/24729116/detail.html - broken link)

Many riding the bus recently may not have noticed a difference...some were unmarked. That's because they're brand new.

Stimulus Money Funds 24 Buses

quote btw from Stimulus Money Funds 24 Buses

He said there are plans for a West Maple corridor line in the works that will include park and ride locations.

They're trying to work out possible locations.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 AM

306 posts, read 711,052 times
If it didn't take 90 minutes to get within a mile of where I work every morning, I would consider taking the bus to and from work.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
If it didn't take 90 minutes to get within a mile of where I work every morning, I would consider taking the bus to and from work.

I understand

I take the bus a lot (and despite the lie folks like pheaton peddle) they are usually got about 10 or more folks on them at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha