U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:28 AM

13 posts, read 12,039 times

Advertisements

My mom and dad grew up in Omaha in the mid 1950's and attended Technical High. My dad worked at Chicken Delight at 51st & Military. Can anyone tell me if the building is still there? What year did it close? My mom worked at J.C. Penney downtown. What part of downtown was it located? When my parents were dating they would go to Shada's Drive in for sodas and malts. Where was this located? does anything stand there now? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 10:34 AM

13,919 posts, read 19,101,999 times
The old Technical High School building still exists and though it ceased to be a school in 1984, it currently serves as the current headquarters for OPS.

Former Technical High School

Technical High School (Omaha, Nebraska) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicken Delight was a bit before my time, but one of our semi regular posters here mentioned it in another thread I posted awhile back (Garthur, post #25).

Share some memories of Omaha!

An anonymous user on Omababe's blog mentioned it after she posted her series on Forgotten Cuisine in Omaha. While she didn't list Chicken Delight, you and your parents might really enjoy the series for some other great Omaha nostalgia.

My Blog: Forgotten Cuisine ...

Either way, it appears to be long gone. I was born in 1986 and even though I lived fairly close by and went through that area often, I can't recall ever seeing this place. I used Bing Map's Bird's Eye View and found a couple buildings between 51st and 52nd on the Northwest Radial that could have been Chicken Delight, back in the day, however.

The J.C Penney's was located on South 16th Street. You can see some pictures of the store on the Durham Museum's Photo Archive.

The Durham Museum Photo Archive

There doesn't seem to be much information on Shada's online. I did, however, find the obituary of the co-owner.

Kenneth P. Shada Obituary: View Kenneth Shada's Obituary by Omaha World-Herald

I'll keep looking and see if I can find where it was located.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:04 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,288,107 times
We drove past the old Chicken Delight building last year. It was still there and I believe its a tattoo parlor now. Bud Zabel owned it and his daughter Sandy is a friend of my wife. BTW I didn't find this out until I met my wife 15 years later.

I remember going there almost every Sunday and some times during the week and getting chicken, and mashed potatoes and gravy. It was very good food. I probably ran into my future wife there and didn't know it at the time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Garthur; 06-08-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Thank you all so much for your information. I'm planning a trip to Omaha in October to find the locations where my parents-to-be lived, worked and hung out when teenagers. Any information I can get helps in planning it all out. Thanks!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Just one more question for you all. My dad would go to Sunset Speedway to watch racing in the '50s. Where was the track located? Is it still there?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:10 PM

Sunset Speedway was in far northwest Omaha. It closed in October 2000.

Sunset Speedway (closed)

http://omahacityblog.blogspot.com/20...edway.html?m=1

http://www.midwestracingarchives.com...place.html?m=1

Old 06-10-2014, 10:30 AM

Thanks again. Your info has been invaluable!

Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowers View Post
Thanks again. Your info has been invaluable!
No problem! Feel free to ask any other questions you might have and we'll be happy to help. Also, we hope you stick around here so we can give you recommendations of places to see when you come to visit Omaha.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Sure will. There are many locations I want to visit while there so im trying to set up some route, or itinerary, that will enable me to visit as many of them as possible while im there. My maternal grandparents lived at 8150 Blondo. Their house was tore down, along with three or four others, when they widened Blondo in the late '70s or early '80s but I would still like to visit the location to reminisce. My paternal grandparents lived in Town & Country mobile home park at 3701 McKinley. I am still hoping someone will be able to tell me where Shada's drive in was located. Do you know how long Chicken Delight was in business? I remember my dad and I stopped by there to visit in about 1969 or '70 and my dad talked to Bud Zabel for quite a while. Do you know when Bud passed away? I note that you live in Tampa. I had a great uncle, James (Jim) Porter McCoy, who lived there for many years on Valencia Blvd though I cannot recall the actual address number. He passed away in 2007 I believe.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM

553 posts, read 478,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowers View Post
Just one more question for you all. My dad would go to Sunset Speedway to watch racing in the '50s. Where was the track located? Is it still there?
Sunset speedway was part of the big amusement park I beleive it was called Playland Park, and located on the west side of the park. The Huge Roller coaster was located along the road that entered Council Bluffs Iowa. When the interstate came in it was hard to get to the playland park and so it eventually closed down but they kept Sunset speedway for a few years and eventually when car racing dwindled it finally close. Now the whole place is a regular park to have walks and picnics in. It was made into a park because it was part of the history of Omaha and Council Bluffs.

I have great memories of this place as that is where we went a lot as a child. I am the wife of this blogger so if you need more things I can tell you about most things there. I went to Technical High School 1964 to 1967 as most of my cousins and family did.. My sister was the last official class to graduate from there in 1968 and was to close then but I did' know it continued. The auditorium was remodeled and is still there because this was part of Omaha's history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or