U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:46 AM

41 posts, read 45,941 times

Advertisements

Hello Omaha!!

What does one call a resident of Omaha? ANyhow--tht is not my "real" question. Omaha is one of my canidates for relocation. One of my main questions is Is living without a car a possibility in Omaha? Having lived in big cities most of my life I am very comfortable with public transport and walking and hope to take up biking. Ideally--I would like to live in a neighborhood where I could walk to a lot of the basics (for me thats supermarket, gym coffee shop, drugstorebus stop) I am a young feeling/acting middle aged female and would prefer a somewhat quiet neighborhood . Any feedback is so appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 11:58 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,285,010 times
There's an area near 65th and center that has a lot of what you want close by. This is the old Aksarben race track location. There is a movie theater, grocery store, apartments, and several other businesses with in walking distance. The only mass transit is the bus lines or you could use the cab service, there are several in Omaha. The other location could be the old market area in downtown Omaha if you like urban environments.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:10 PM

7,172 posts, read 4,088,362 times
Also check out Midtown Crossing - the development includes a grocery store, as well as many other shops. But you should be aware that while living without a car in Omaha is doable, it's tough. The town is pretty car-centric.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:22 AM

13,903 posts, read 19,076,418 times
I know people who do it and they're perfectly happy with it. You just have to make sure you live within the urban core.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 AM

76 posts, read 108,813 times
Unless you have enough money to afford a nice new condo or remodle in the "urban" areas, your going to have to live in an older cheaper house next to the nice foot traffic areas. Honestly you probably do need a car as our city is so spread out and not very foot traffic friednly for the most part. We have huge gentrification issues so we end up with alot of new expensives condos or builsings and one block away is old cheap housing. (see: midtown, downtown, new CWS stadium)

Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 AM

906 posts, read 1,533,157 times
The weather is the main deterrent to being car-free. If you have a set schedule, you'll likely end up outside in some awful weather, wishing you had the protection of a car. Before cars were invented, Omaha wasn't much of a city at all. I'd say get a cheap older car as a plan B to riding the bus or walking. You'll find you use it more than you intended.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks All for your feedback!!

Old 06-28-2014, 08:19 PM

4,663 posts, read 6,087,570 times
I wouldn't live in Omaha without a car.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:30 AM

35 posts, read 50,589 times
You have to ask yourself, what kind of person are you? Do you like buying stuff in bulk thus requiring a car Bc frankly unlike in NYC the shops around the corner here will not suffice...I know one person told me on here he could do everything with a bike...but I'm not gonna bike back and forth from the supermarket with my goods...so in the one yr I've been here, and coming from NYC the public transpiration sucks and requires planning with google maps...forget using a transfer on a whim...you will probably wait 30-45 mins without planning properly...and when you do the bus either comes too late or early and ur screwed! You should have a smartphone and live closest to good bus lines like the 2,11,15,3 etc...I ,ive in Midtown walking distance to a few supermarkets thank god...but that doesn't help you when you're hungry at 10 pm at night and no busses are available readily and you aren't going to walk at night...haha soooooo....

Weather...if I didn't get rides everyday during our literally negative 11 degree winter I would have been horribly miserable...and I didn't get rides everyday...I just got a permit and will need a license if I plan to stay here...

Old 06-29-2014, 01:45 PM

I would also be coming from an Urban area with extensive public transit..but I have also lived in less transit friendly places. I am comfortable busing walking and biking (hopefully biking) but it would be an adjustment..but that would be one minus to the many plusses It sounds like it it is "dobale" but not ideal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or