Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 PM

29 posts, read 34,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Your reading comprehension is abysmal. That quote isn't even in the same galaxy as what you think it said.

I'd also question your knowledge of North High. By your own admission you didn't go there and are only 23 (to be fair, I'm only 27). What could you possibly know outside of the test scores that you even admitted did not give a full picture? I left Omaha before I got to North, but I had close relatives and friends attend, along with older friends who sent their children there. Almost without exception, they praise the school.

You didn't offend me at all, so no worries there. That said, you once again miss the mark. I'm not trying to trick anybody regarding my finances. In fact, I couldn't give a rip whether they think I have less money than I have or more. I do what I want, and it's not dictated by other people's opinions. I plan to buy in Miller Park because I like the area. I'll buy a fixer upper because I enjoy working on my own home. I picked my current school because of the opportunity it gave me. If I wanted to live in a McMansion to portray an outward appearance of prestige to people I don't even like, then I would move to West Omaha.

But like I said earlier, as long as you're happy, that is all that matters.

I probably shouldn't stir up this can of worms any more than it already is - however I can weigh in here. I GREW UP in North Omaha. With income levels / housing prices comes dialect. What do you want to hear coming out of the mouths of your children -
A. 'here go your 16 cent' or

B. 'and your change is 16 cents'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 02:24 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelkitty View Post
Honestly I wouldn't live around 72nd and Blondo either. That area has become so run down in the last few years. Crossroads used to be a safe place to shop but you wouldn't see me there these days! Stores have come and gone more than once and I heard they are trying to do a reno again but with the area, I doubt if it will help. Your best bet really would be Benson (possibly LaVista or Papillion but each have questionable areas as well), if you can't afford to live in Millard - and yes the OPS system is not nearly as good as the Millard schools.
There is nothing unsafe about Crossroads, it's just a dying off mall with few stores left. The new renovation (which actually entails tearing down the whole thing save for Target, the parking garage and maybe Sears) is going to be nearly as impressive as Midtown Crossing was, and likely just as big of a catalyst for the area.

Quote:
I probably shouldn't stir up this can of worms any more than it already is - however I can weigh in here. I GREW UP in North Omaha. With income levels / housing prices comes dialect. What do you want to hear coming out of the mouths of your children -
A. 'here go your 16 cent' or

B. 'and your change is 16 cents'?
Put your white robe and pointy cap away, sweetheart.

I grew up in north Omaha too and I don't have any sort of Ebonic dialect, nor do any but one or two of the people I grew up with that I stay in contact with. And while I've said before I refuse to have children, I'm sure that if I did, a little parenting would prevent such behavior, just like my parents did with me.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:38 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
Parenting in North O is a relic of the past, a victim of functional obsolescence, replaced by the warm affection of gang leaders. Don't be hatin' yo.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Parenting in North O is a relic of the past, a victim of functional obsolescence, replaced by the warm affection of gang leaders. Don't be hatin' yo.
Why don't you tell us again how the Gaza strip is safer than North Omaha?

As Gaza death toll mounts, American politicians rally behind Israel - CBS News

Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
There is nothing unsafe about Crossroads, it's just a dying off mall with few stores left. The new renovation (which actually entails tearing down the whole thing save for Target, the parking garage and maybe Sears) is going to be nearly as impressive as Midtown Crossing was, and likely just as big of a catalyst for the area.

Put your white robe and pointy cap away, sweetheart.

I grew up in north Omaha too and I don't have any sort of Ebonic dialect, nor do any but one or two of the people I grew up with that I stay in contact with. And while I've said before I refuse to have children, I'm sure that if I did, a little parenting would prevent such behavior, just like my parents did with me.
Dialect has nothing to do with race. Children talk like their peers, period. Watching home movies of my older children who spent some of their years in N.O. and comparing to videos of my younger ones who grew up elsewhere was proof enough for me.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Dialect has nothing to do with race.
Actually, it does, and it was exceedingly clear what you were implying.

Quote:
Children talk like their peers, period. Watching home movies of my older children who spent some of their years in N.O. and comparing to videos of my younger ones who grew up elsewhere was proof enough for me.
Then you either failed as parent or didn't care. Either way, that's your problem.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:02 PM

Dialect has nothing to do with race.

Quote:
Actually, it does, and it was exceedingly clear what you were implying.

Then you either failed as parent or didn't care. Either way, that's your problem.
So sorry you are having a bad day. I really wish that you have a better day tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:05 PM

OP, sorry this conversation started spiraling - I apologize that some people look for ways to direct the attention to themselves. There really are helpful people who grew up there and know the areas very well, feel free to post again and we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
So sorry you are having a bad day. I really wish that you have a better day tomorrow.
Nice attempt at deflection, but I'm actually having a pretty good day.

Quote:
OP, sorry this conversation started spiraling - I apologize that some people look for ways to direct the attention to themselves. There really are helpful people who grew up there and know the areas very well, feel free to post again and we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.
You should pay better attention. The OP already thanked us (including me specifically) in posts #26 and #28. Obviously, he was pretty happy with the assistance we gave him.

And I've been here helping people since I joined this forum in late 2008. In that time, I've seen countless people like yourself come along. They'll show up, make a flurry of posts running down Omaha and eventually run off after they've been thoroughly discredited. If I hadn't seen the same thing on other subforums, I'd swear it was the same person(s) looking for entertainment.

My point is, I'll be here long after you've disappeared.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM

20 posts, read 29,624 times
I made it to Omaha! My family will come up in two weeks. I really do enjoy this town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha