U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 01:20 PM

624 posts, read 1,102,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
The vast majority of clothing stores for one.
In time I think that will change. Streetcars and transit in general are a chicken vs egg argument. Howerer, it is undeniable the affect that fixed transit has on shopping and services once it is built.

I'm personally in the boat that any rapid transit should stay within the I-680 loop at least for the forseeable future. like harshbarj said, it all has to do with density. Outskirts would be better served by regular buses and demand and use will determine what areas get it and what don't. We're just not ready to provide service to those areas. Improve public transportation in the areas that use it the most first and the rest will follow if it is warranted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:29 PM

125 posts, read 120,076 times
I'd be thrilled to have BRT out to Westroads. I live nearby and would take the bus more with faster connections into the eastern part of the city. In good traffic a regular bus doesn't offer enough incentives to not drive, but if quick service is there it would be great to not deal with parking

Old 09-12-2014, 04:24 PM

Realistically we're looking at a travel time from Westroads to downtown of 30 minutes vs 40 minutes that Route 2 currently takes.

Right now it appears there won't be any dedicated lanes west of Midtown, but there will be traffic light preference (the bus will always have the green light). The BRT will save time vs regular bus by traffic light preference, fewer stops, and shorter boarding times (by way of using pre-boarding payment). Car travel will still beat out BRT for the time being.

I could see in the future having dedicated lanes on dodge from 44th to 96th. Something like a bus-specific lane eastbound in the morning with two lanes of car traffic in each direction, then a westbound bus-specific lane in the afternoon. That would only take one lane out per rush period.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,812,366 times
Pretty cool that US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx will be in Omaha on Monday to announce funding for the BRT.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:42 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,692,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
The vast majority of clothing stores for one.
Well, considering this route serves the hopefully soon to be redeveloped Crossroads, along with Westroads, that's not too much of an issue now.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:07 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
people in general don't need to go past 72nd street. What's out there that's not available in greater quantities and qualities east of 72nd?
Clothing stores, all the malls, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sporting Good stores, Costco, NFM, Goodwill stores. Basically everything people want.

There are fundamental reasons why stores that know what they're doing locate west of 72nd. Unless you change the fundamentals of Omaha, they will continue to be there. A single line of public transportation won't change those fundamentals.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
A single line of public transportation won't change those fundamentals.
You have to start somewhere though, right?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:27 AM

906 posts, read 1,533,961 times
Omaha is like a kid's playground where there is a very stinky girl. Nobody wants to be around the stinky girl, and her parents and teachers are afraid to tell her to wash herself. So the kids on the playground spread out and avoid her. The teachers want her to integrate with her peers who are spreading out away from her, so they give the stinky girl a bicycle. But the other kids still avoid her. They spread out even further, and they start to complain the smell is getting all over the playground. Rather than improving her mobility, it would be far more useful for somebody to tell the stinky girl to wash herself.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM

816 posts, read 1,415,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Clothing stores, all the malls, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sporting Good stores, Costco, NFM, Goodwill stores. Basically everything people want.

There are fundamental reasons why stores that know what they're doing locate west of 72nd. Unless you change the fundamentals of Omaha, they will continue to be there. A single line of public transportation won't change those fundamentals.
Yes, if you pick everything that's west of 72nd then everything is west of 72nd. I very rarely travel much past 40th and have no problems with my day to day shopping. There are alternatives for everything you listed there east of 72nd.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:26 PM

13,919 posts, read 19,094,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Yes, if you pick everything that's west of 72nd then everything is west of 72nd. I very rarely travel much past 40th and have no problems with my day to day shopping. There are alternatives for everything you listed there east of 72nd.
I agree with you here, though I would just like to point out that the days of 72nd Street being the urban/suburban divider are basically over, especially along the main corridors. 72nd Street, for instance, is still pretty urban out to about 90th Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or