Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 07:09 PM

44 posts, read 65,739 times

Advertisements

Ok so maybe I'm slow but I can't understand these home taxes. We moved from SC a month ago. There we built our home and it was $189,000. The taxes there are 4%. That being said our taxes every year were around $1100 a year and our mortgage with taxes were $1026 a month. Ok so here I'm told the taxes are crazy high. However, when talking to a gentleman today at a home builder he said the taxes were below 3%. However, he also said that taxes a year were about $5-$9 thousand. I'm not understanding how that is? Can anyone please explain to me the taxes here in the most dumbed down way possible? Lol. I'm by no means stupid but I just don't understand. Wouldn't that make mortgage outrageous? My husband works in Iowa but we like the area here. Thank you so much for any help. Not sure we can afford to buy here if taxes are so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 PM

906 posts, read 1,806,876 times
Yes, your property taxes are likely to be $5-9 thousand, and yes it's outrageous, especially when compared to South Carolina.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 PM

336 posts, read 572,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearof2 View Post
Ok so maybe I'm slow but I can't understand these home taxes. We moved from SC a month ago. There we built our home and it was $189,000. The taxes there are 4%. That being said our taxes every year were around $1100 a year and our mortgage with taxes were $1026 a month. Ok so here I'm told the taxes are crazy high. However, when talking to a gentleman today at a home builder he said the taxes were below 3%. However, he also said that taxes a year were about $5-$9 thousand. I'm not understanding how that is? Can anyone please explain to me the taxes here in the most dumbed down way possible? Lol. I'm by no means stupid but I just don't understand. Wouldn't that make mortgage outrageous? My husband works in Iowa but we like the area here. Thank you so much for any help. Not sure we can afford to buy here if taxes are so much.
Yep. that's right. That's why I moved across the river to Iowa!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
Yep. that's right. That's why I moved across the river to Iowa!
We may have to do the same in order to be able to buy. Which sucks cause I like the area here a lot. I will have to look more over the water. All I've seen so far is construction and businesses.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:13 PM

324 posts, read 960,026 times
Three quick questions for the OP.

Did the $1,100 you paid in SC encompass all your RE taxes, ie. did it include school taxes? I remember talking to my father a few years back. He lived in Upstate NY and had a house about the same size as ours in Omaha. I said I paid $4k/year in RE taxes. He said that was high. He only paid $3k/yr. Then he asked what my school taxes were. I said it was included. My RE tax burden was $4k/yr. He said That's different. He pays $3k/yr in RE taxes, another $1k/yr in sewer taxes and $6k/yr in school taxes.

What size/price house are you looking at in Omaha? How does it compare to the one in SC?

How was the school system in your town in SC? Omaha has a very strong system (despite what the acerbic contrarian posters will now come on and tell you)

Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM

I believe our school taxes are part of the propery tax. That's what my Real estate agent said. We can't figure up how much we can afford for a house until I understand the taxes better. Don't want to be house poor! Lol. We are looking for a 4 bedroom. We had new construction last time. Schools in SC aren't great. However the district we were in was amazing. I hope that answered your questions.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:46 PM

177 posts, read 457,355 times
If taxes in SC were anything like GA, your 4% was probably based on the assessed value of the land itself instead of the house plus the land. My GA house appraised near $180,000, but the taxes were based on the land assessment, which ran around $60,000. In Omaha the property tax assessment is based on the full value of the property...house and land. The areas of town that I've researched have rates between 1.9-2.5% per year, so a house valued at $200,000 would have a yearly tax that runs between $3,800 and $5,000.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,010,908 times
Quote:
I believe our school taxes are part of the propery tax. That's what my Real estate agent said. We can't figure up how much we can afford for a house until I understand the taxes better. Don't want to be house poor! Lol. We are looking for a 4 bedroom. We had new construction last time. Schools in SC aren't great. However the district we were in was amazing. I hope that answered your questions.
In Omaha, your property taxes, school taxes...etc are all assessed and paid together, essentially.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Quote:
We moved from SC a month ago. There we built our home and it was $189,000. The taxes there are 4%. That being said our taxes every year were around $1100 a year
4% of $189,000 is $7560, not $1100

If your house in SC was valued at $189K and you were paying $1100 per year in taxes on that house, then your tax rate was more like 0.6%

In Omaha, your annual taxes on a house will be a roughly 2% of the house value.
e.g., $200,000 house would have annual taxes of about $4,000

Old 10-22-2014, 02:51 PM

Thank you all. We are going to get a realtor and figure everything out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: