U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:33 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,110,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
This map is also a good representation of the transition of climate between the more humid eastern sections and the more semi-arid western sections. Draw a line from Cherry County (Valentine) down through Lincoln County (North Platte), and that is where average precipitation and humidity values fall off quite a bit- continuing westward from there.
Good info! I'll likely be moving to the Omaha area this year, so this is helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 PM

76 posts, read 108,827 times
Check the weather today in Omaha before making the move, and decide if you still want to put up with it. (Currently it's like 0 and -20 with wind chill)

Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,388 times
I've lived in the greater Omaha area now over 15 years. Originally from the KC area. Most of my family is from the KC area so it's a quick drive to visit. Wife loves the area more than me, and what I come to find out is that the employers around here can't really afford me. I've attained between 11-15 years of above expectations performances throughout my career along with an MBA degree. I research and studied the wage data from the BLS for the Omaha/CB area and salary offers are nowhere close; some 20K off from that metric. Omaha labor market has one of the highest rankings of per/capita of workers having to work two jobs. So you know the employers don't pay much.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:34 AM

906 posts, read 1,533,310 times
If you create such value, why would it be location specific? Since businesses aren't confined to selling to the local towns-folk anymore, there's really no cap on what someone can make, regardless of where they are.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 AM

7,175 posts, read 4,090,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucantaffordme View Post
So you know the employers don't pay much.
Depends on your field. I earn significantly more working here in Omaha than I'd earn in many other pats of the country (which ironically have a higher cost of living), because it's harder to recruit people in my field of work to come here. Thank you, sophisticated East and West Coasters and big-city folks who think the middle of the country is 'flyover country" for giving me a salary bump! My bank account is grateful!

Old 01-15-2015, 04:33 PM

13,906 posts, read 19,079,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjbrown2 View Post
Check the weather today in Omaha before making the move, and decide if you still want to put up with it. (Currently it's like 0 and -20 with wind chill)
During a massive, record breaking cold spell that was affecting close to the entire country. I certainly hope you're not suggesting that someone make a decision on where to live based off a once in a decade (maybe) type event.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:07 PM

30,265 posts, read 27,708,622 times
While visiting this past several weeks one thing I noticed about Omaha that I didn’t see was closed doors on retail businesses. Most everywhere I went I noticed businesses and storefronts were open and occupied unlike so many other cities where you’ll see a lot of stores vacant. Maybe it was the areas of town that were doing well and I missed something, but it was very nice to see everything opened. Other cities (small to midsized) that I’d seen along the way had many shops closed down.

It looks like Omaha is doing well!

Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,828,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
During a massive, record breaking cold spell that was affecting close to the entire country. I certainly hope you're not suggesting that someone make a decision on where to live based off a once in a decade (maybe) type event.
That happens every year (0 to -10F air temperatures if not colder) in the Midwest. Nebraska has milder Winter temperatures compared to the Upper Midwest, however.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:56 AM

7,175 posts, read 4,090,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That happens every year (0 to -10F air temperatures if not colder) in the Midwest. Nebraska has milder Winter temperatures compared to the Upper Midwest, however.
And (knock on wood) we seem to be having a milder-than-usual winter this year. Which is a relief!

Still, the weather is a factor people should consider before they move here. The city is nice, but San Diego or Honolulu it is not. This isn't the place for people who can't stand cold or snow, or humid summers, or strong thunderstorms. I think we average about two weeks a year when none of those conditions are present.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 PM

1,885 posts, read 2,285,484 times
I worked with a retired USMC gunny Sgt that said that of all the places he's been, Nebraska weather was the wildest. He was originally from California and had been all over the world in the Corp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or