U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 AM

29 posts, read 68,814 times

Advertisements

Yo. I just moved back to Omaha after being gone for 5 years. I'm going to be here for at least a year, then, who knows? Looks like the place has changed a bit. I ran into an old friend and mentioned that I was looking at a few specific apartments, and she warned me to stay away from those areas. I thought I remembered pretty much all of Dundee and Benson being safe, but she said that the crime rate has gone up a lot.

Before I left Omaha, it was fairly simple. Avoid North O (northeast, anyway). Avoid 24th. 108th and Maple was starting to turn kinda crappy. There wasn't much else to worry about. Now, I'm hearing that there are good and bad blocks/neighborhoods all checkerboarded and mixed up around the Midtown/Benson/Dundee areas, and that's just confusing as hell.

So, that all being said, I'm willing to live in the West Omaha area, or the downtown/Dundee/Benson areas, and I'd consider Ralston or La Vista, or possibly even Bellevue, if it came down to it. But again, I'd rther live in the first few mentioned areas. Which sections of those areas are still pretty safe? I also ride a motorcycle, and I don't want to have to be looking out the window every hour to make sure it's still there. I'm a single guy, no kids, so I don't care if it's a studio, 1 bedroom, or higher - but I'd like to keep it in the $500 range (or lower, of course). I've seen a ton of apartments online, but I'm just not sure about the areas - plus a lot of the apartments have new owners and names, so I can't find reviews on them online.

A few random, definitely negotiable tidbits: I'd prefer to have a garage for my motorcycle. I prefer a dishwasher (or at least, a ton of counter space). I'd ideally be within a mile or so of a couple of decent, divey bars - though not at the cost of living in a safe place.

Soooo, I'm looking for some ideas/recommendations regarding the area or some apartments, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 09:48 AM

7,309 posts, read 4,151,370 times
As far as I can tell, Dundee and Benson haven't changed all that much. I don't think of either as particularly unsafe. Alas, though, I can't help with specific apartment suggestions.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 AM

481 posts, read 1,152,812 times
It seems that Benson may be the place for you. The area has changed a lot in the last five years for the better. Good mix of nice/dive bars, live music, and food. Lot 2 and Jake's are two of my favorite places in the city.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM

906 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Law enforcement has went dark the past 5 years, so that's why you get hit or miss all over the place. It's basically a big free for all with everyone on the honor system. Good luck on your search. I don't think it's possible to find a nice place with a garage for less than $500 a month, but you never know. I will say you won't have trouble being near a dive bar - they're everywhere.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 PM

22 posts, read 23,392 times
Lived in Midtown/Dundee/Aksarben for 43 years. All still great neighborhoods. Don't be too swayed by people who say an area is higher crime, etc. Low income does not mean bad neighborhood. If it were me, I would look for a place between Center St to the South / Blondo to the North & 65th to the West / 40th St to the East (further east if you look specifically at the Midtown Crossing area).

Google Map the following, and try to find a place close to one of them:

Homy Inn

Dario's

Wohlner's Grocery

Aksarben Village

Krug Park (+1 Benson could be a good fit for you, but I'm not sure there are that many apts over there)

I have friends and family all over that square, and not one of them doesn't like living there. It covers a very diverse crowd from the very wealthy, to the just scraping by. Crime is indeed higher, but I've never once felt unsafe. That of course is subjective to your own experience. I also know people who consider anything east of 72nd the ghetto

Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 PM

29 posts, read 68,814 times
Thanks, all.
I ended up finding a surprisingly affordable, modern, and spacious apartment around the 50-ish and California area.
Now I just need to figure out how safe it is to keep my motorcycle over here. I stepped out today and saw that one of my neighbors was having a window replaced. Someone broke into his car and tried to steal his seat belts, of all things.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 PM

22 posts, read 23,392 times
Glad you got settled. I live just a few blocks from there - wouldn't live anywhere else in Omaha. Dundee is run down in parts, and beautiful in others - mostly it's just old. I don't find it any more or less safe around here than it was when I moved in 15 years ago. I do, unfortunately, think that there Dundee seems to get more than a fair share of broken car windows.

Welcome home!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:23 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,833,379 times
Welcome back!

Just some advice.. There are much better Omaha boards that are very lively. This one use to be a lively one until the trolls took over and people simply quit coming over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or