Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 04:49 PM

217 posts, read 206,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85 View Post
I'm not much of a sports fan, let alone a Husker fan, but what Gunluvver stated is spot on. When the Huskers are playing, the state practically shuts down. Wal-mart, Target, supermarkets, convenience stores, etc. are open, but are practically deserted. If you shop while the Husker's are playing like I do to avoid the crowds, you will hear the game, instead of music, being broadcast while you shop. Do not question why the game is being broadcast over the intercom.

I'm not a native Nebraskan (I was born and raised outside of Philadelphia, PA), but I learned that you never criticize or even joke about the football team. I know from first hand experience. Years ago, when they lost a game, I good naturedly ribbed a co-worker about it and he flipped out on me. Nebraskan's self esteem correlates with the success or failure of the football team's fortunes, it's weird. For the past decade, the state's self esteem has been low due to the lack of championships. Yes, the team has had winning records, but Nebraskan's only considers championships as success.
Yeah this is spot on. It's kind of hard to explain to others just how crazy people get over Cornhusker football in Nebraska. I currently live in the STL area and the Cardinals are really, really popular here but it's different. It's crazy how a city as big as Omaha suddenly becomes a ghost town when the Huskers are playing in Lincoln.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,957,195 times
Personally, I think the love affair with the Huskers is vastly overstated. I lived in Omaha during the time that the National Title game was basically Nebraska vs. whoever decided to be the challenger that year, and it was never really that fanatical.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,845 times
I appreciate all the help. We live in Orange County (Southern Cal) and will be moving to Omaha in October. I have been looking into Papillion and Elkhorn. Mainly because of schools for my three kids. Any thoughts on the two cities? Also, we have two vehicles (Toyota Sienna and Toyota Tacoma) What kind of tires should we look into for the winter? Do you think it's worth it to trade in and get a vehicle that is four wheel drive?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 11,754 times
I lived in Elkhorn, and it is a very nice community. The schools are great out there. They have a small downtown that has some pretty cute charm. They have a BBQ place and then an Italian restaurant called Bella Vita. (It's pretty good!) Directly in Elkhorn there is not a ton of shopping, however, down Maple and Dodge you can pretty much get to anything. Maple has Target, Wal-Mart, Hy-Vee (Popular Grocery Store in the area), and anything else you can think of. I definitely recommend Elkhorn. Our neighbors were all so friendly. (we lived just off of the downtown area) Everyone will try to get to know you, and everyone is usually pretty helpful.

As far as the Husker's. I have lived here a long time, and I am not a Husker fan. I would say that yes, they are touchy about their football. And they do love the Huskers here, but nobody is going to care if you watch football or not. Don't let that scare you, they are fanatics, but I'd worry about that on game day! And closer to Lincoln. I've survived being an Iowa Hawkeye fan in Huskerland...so I don't think you need to even care about this at all! Although they are fanatical, they are just like any other place who loves their college team.

Welcome to Nebraska!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM

122 posts, read 192,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Salazar View Post
I appreciate all the help. We live in Orange County (Southern Cal) and will be moving to Omaha in October. I have been looking into Papillion and Elkhorn. Mainly because of schools for my three kids. Any thoughts on the two cities? Also, we have two vehicles (Toyota Sienna and Toyota Tacoma) What kind of tires should we look into for the winter? Do you think it's worth it to trade in and get a vehicle that is four wheel drive?

Lived in Omaha for 20 + years, sold real estate there, but grew up in Solana Beach (San Diego) and am now back in SoCal.....both Elkhorn and Papillion are great cities for education, family activities and conveniences. Papillion was named a top U.S. city. Your vehicles will be fine, just invest in good snow tires. Check out the Walnut Lake and Western Hills neighborhoods of Papillion...very nice areas. Nebraska is truly a great place to raise kids, lots and lots of dining options, Aksarben Village always has a lot going on, the Old Market.....they just need a Nordstroms although, Von Maur is a nice department store located at the Westroads or shops at Village Pointe. Wishing you the best!

Old 10-29-2015, 12:51 AM

4 posts, read 14,845 times
Got a house near Bent Creek area. Moving in a couple weeks. Any suggestions on winterizing the house?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:33 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,881,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Salazar View Post
Got a house near Bent Creek area. Moving in a couple weeks. Any suggestions on winterizing the house?
Shut off the water and drain the lines. Set the furnace to 60 F.

That should hold things until you move in.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:29 AM

675 posts, read 638,824 times
I know the Huskers are wellknown, but what about the Mavs or Blue Jays? Does anybody support them in anything?

Old 10-30-2015, 11:12 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,177,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
I know the Huskers are wellknown, but what about the Mavs or Blue Jays? Does anybody support them in anything?

UNO just opened a new 7900 seat arena that is going to be sold out all season for hockey. Creighton is in the top 10 for college basketball attendance.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:28 PM

323 posts, read 956,998 times
UNO's Hockey team is currently #1 in some polls. They may have a special season
The same goes for Creighton Men's soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha