U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 AM

8 posts, read 36,378 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My wife and I are discussing relocating to Omaha from Houston. I grew up as a child in Omaha and loved the city and small town feel. I have been in Houston for 20 years and I am ready to get out of the big city. My wife is native to Houston and is ready for a change as well. I have family in Omaha and we try to visit on a yearly basis. Everytime we visit it feels like home to me. My wife enjoys Omaha everything from the small town feel, friendly people, logistics, scenery, and especially the 4 seasons. Houston is a great place if you love being in a city with over 5 million people (including suburbs) and 8 months of heat and humidity.

We are both in our mid 30's with two small girls. In September my company will be eliminated and moved over seas. We feel like if a move and life change is in store now is the opportune time.

I have recently been doing a market search and home search in Omaha. My questions are:
1) How is the job market for corporations? Any compaines that you can recommend? I am currently a plant manager for a manufacturing company.
2) How is the construction industry? Thinking about getting into surroundsound/equipment installation.
3) Does anyone know of a good relocating company?
4) I have been looking at subdivisions north of Dodge (Walnut Ridge/Hillsborough) Is this a nice family area?

I would love to get any feedback or suggestions that you may have. I am looking forward to new opportunities.

Regards,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:06 AM

884 posts, read 91,466 times
Mike,
Direct message me and we can discuss exactly the job opportunity you are looking for. One of the topics you mentioned I could definitely help you with.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 03:32 PM

That said... Omaha is as good a refuge as any in which to take shelter from the socio-economic shadows which are closing in around us. [/quote]

You hit the nail on the head with that one. It is progressively getting worse with no end in sight. I am in the sports and recreation business and it is sad to see all these dedicated long term domestic companies no longer able to compete with the foreign market. This is becoming an epedemic with many more American jobs on the line.

Either way we are ready to seek "refuge" and hope for the best!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 PM

867 posts, read 1,865,625 times
The job market is pretty good overall. There are many corporations - not quite sure about the market for manufacturing specifically. The Careerlink website is a good one for job listings - you can look for jobs by industry.

We just moved back to Texas after being in Omaha for several years (I was born in Omaha, but did not grow up there - do have family there, though). I think we had enough of the four seasons (actually, we were okay with all of the seasons but winter!) for a while. Good luck with the move if you do decide to go for it.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 PM

3,329 posts, read 6,225,384 times
the job market is very good. the city is practically built for families with the best zoo in the country. i would reccomend west omaha which has a very low crime rate and good schools systems. good luck

Old 01-23-2008, 09:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,153 times
Default Neighborhood info

We love Hillsborough neighborhood. We have lived here for 2 1/2 years. Two of our children go to the elementary located at 138th and Larimore (in the heart of Hillsborough) It is a magnet school, which draws from kids from all over Omaha, giving a broader diversity than you get in other parts of W/NW/SW Omaha. The academics are great, the admin and teachers dedicated and the family support truly staggering. We bought our home in the mid to upper 200's, but in Hillsborough you can get a place from low 200s through low 300's. cbshome.com (not advertising, just a loyal customer) is a great site that we used when we relocated here from NW Wisconsin. if you would like more referrals for relocation experts, just let me know and I will give you the name of ours. She was wonderful with her dedication to our tight schedule.

Love the area of NW Omaha.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
the job market is very good. the city is practically built for families with the best zoo in the country. i would reccomend west omaha which has a very low crime rate and good schools systems. good luck

Thank you for the reply. Everything that I have heard about Omaha's job market has been positive for the most part. I have been looking in Walnut Ridge and Hillsborough. These two neighborhoods seem to be priced well, clean, and kid oriented. I have also heard great things about the OPS. Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmom View Post
We love Hillsborough neighborhood. We have lived here for 2 1/2 years. Two of our children go to the elementary located at 138th and Larimore (in the heart of Hillsborough) It is a magnet school, which draws from kids from all over Omaha, giving a broader diversity than you get in other parts of W/NW/SW Omaha. The academics are great, the admin and teachers dedicated and the family support truly staggering. We bought our home in the mid to upper 200's, but in Hillsborough you can get a place from low 200s through low 300's. cbshome.com (not advertising, just a loyal customer) is a great site that we used when we relocated here from NW Wisconsin. if you would like more referrals for relocation experts, just let me know and I will give you the name of ours. She was wonderful with her dedication to our tight schedule.

Love the area of NW Omaha.

Good luck!
This is great to know. I have been searching CBShome in Hillsborough. Everything you said confirms how I view the area. I have family in the El Dorado and Walnut Ridge subdvisions. When we were visiting there last summer I saw Hillsborough and liked the area. I am seeing homes priced in the mid 200's like you said. I have heard the housing market is saturated and companies/residents are making deals (taking a loss) on homes just to get out from under them. Do you know this to be true? I am encouraged to hear good things about the school systems in Omaha. This is extremely imprtant too us.

Any information or referals you can give would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM

26 posts, read 127,125 times
I'll will be moving from Houston to Omaha in June. I've really been considering the west side but after reading a lot of posts in the Omaha forum, the question I have is: will the people in the west area of Omaha be tolerant of my Mexican wife (of 14 years)? The reason I ask is because of the stated "white flight" to the west I keep reading about. I don't need white folks looking down their noses at my "legal" immigrant wife like she's done something wrong.

Me?...I'm just a good 'ole white boy from Alabama who pursued and married a Mexican girl from Juarez/El Paso in 1995. We have an 8 year old daughter, so excellent schools are a priority, housing costs are not a concern. I'm now retired military making a pretty darn good six-figure income so I'm looking for the best for my family (best schools, house, neighborhood, etc.)

My family and I have lived and traveled all over the country and overseas, and I can tell you there are still some prejudice folks out there. A good example is the way our German neighbors treated my wife (and me to a smaller extent, as an American) for the three years we were stationed there (US Army). Unbelievable intollerance. So, I DO NOT need that crap from white Americans towards my wife. Please tell me this will not be the case in western Omaha! I want to believe they will be tolerant of a LEGAL Mexican resident alien living in a nice house in western Omaha. Feedback...?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Status: "Partially taking all the blame" (set 13 hours ago)

10,966 posts, read 9,829,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtucker View Post
I'll will be moving from Houston to Omaha in June. I've really been considering the west side but after reading a lot of posts in the Omaha forum, the question I have is: will the people in the west area of Omaha be tolerant of my Mexican wife (of 14 years)? The reason I ask is because of the stated "white flight" to the west I keep reading about. I don't need white folks looking down their noses at my "legal" immigrant wife like she's done something wrong.

Me?...I'm just a good 'ole white boy from Alabama who pursued and married a Mexican girl from Juarez/El Paso in 1995. We have an 8 year old daughter, so excellent schools are a priority, housing costs are not a concern. I'm now retired military making a pretty darn good six-figure income so I'm looking for the best for my family (best schools, house, neighborhood, etc.)

My family and I have lived and traveled all over the country and overseas, and I can tell you there are still some prejudice folks out there. A good example is the way our German neighbors treated my wife (and me to a smaller extent, as an American) for the three years we were stationed there (US Army). Unbelievable intollerance. So, I DO NOT need that crap from white Americans towards my wife. Please tell me this will not be the case in western Omaha! I want to believe they will be tolerant of a LEGAL Mexican resident alien living in a nice house in western Omaha. Feedback...?
You should be fine. Just like any other city this size, you have alot of people and you might meet a few here and there who are racist, but you should have no worries of racism from the general masses.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: