U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2008, 12:50 PM

884 posts, read 51,790 times
There is no way to "debunk" a stat. The area is dangerous period. I have also been there many times and crime does happen right before your very eyes. Daylight or not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 01:03 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,865,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Stats and patterns are only part of it. No one is going to argue that north Omaha is more "high crime" than other parts of Omaha.......
I don't think I disagree with you... in fact my previous post said some very positive things about North O... I mentioned beutiful old homes and some wonderful people... my point was its one thing for someone who understands the area (positive and negative) to choose to live there, its another to send someone from outside into the area without knowing the risks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
There are beautiful old homes in that area and there are also some wonderful people in that area; however, it is also where the major poverty and crime is in Omaha. Its one thing for a long time resident to understand that and still choose to be part of that area, but its something totally different for a newcomer to venture in.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you know very specifically what you are walking into.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:09 AM

30 posts, read 48,902 times
The areas that are bad are very concentrated. 24th and Ames has the crime because it has 2 night clubs right on the corner. Its bad. Thankfully one of them burned to the ground on New Years. Now there is just one left standing. 30th and Ames has two late night gas stations and a liquor store on the corner that always seem to have trouble. The people who cause problems there are the dumbest criminals in the world fyi. There is a police station directly behind one of the gas stations. I'll just say I wouldn't want to live directly on Ames between 24th and 40th... or directly on 24th within 2 blocks of Ames. The rest of the neighborhoods around that area nice, quiet, and full of character. If you live north-east enough in North Omaha you are playing it even safer. I'd say anything along Florence Blvd north of Sorenson Pkwy is fantastic. If you've ever walked the Corporate Cup or ran in the Omaha Marathon you'd know what I mean. Its very interesting how small the line is that separates some of good and bad parts of North O. An example, 16th and Maple = scary. 2 blocks over at 17th and Wirt = some of the most beautiful homes I've seen in Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha