Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 12:56 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have recently retired and will be moving from Pennsylvania to Omaha to be nearer to some family in western NE. I would like to live in an area of the city that has good to very good "walkability." I don't mind driving for grocery shopping, etc. But, it would be nice to be able to stroll a few blocks and get a nice cup of coffee, visit an interesting shop, and maybe visit a park. Of course, I would like a safe area.

I assume there is a part of downtown Omaha that would suit me, but I'm not going to visit before moving so I need a little help. If pushed, I could go as high as $850 on rent for a good place. I don't care at all about gyms and swimming pools, but I would like interesting walks to be easily available and close to the apartment.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 02:22 PM

118 posts, read 95,559 times
Hello, midtown is very nice and has great walk-ability to all those things. Go on Trulia.com and check out rental prices. I have seen anywhere from 800 dollars a month to 2000 dollars a month depending on how nice you want the area/living space and how much room you need. Tons of newer apts and lofts in the midtown and downtown area.

Good luck on your move and welcome to the area!

Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM

Ah, Midtown. That's where I will start my search. Thanks Sydspapa.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:25 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Definitely look at Midtown Crossing and the Old Market. Also, there are some fairly nice apartments on Indian Hills Drive (near 84th and Dodge) which are within walking distance of a library branch and several restaurants and shops.

The new Aksarben Village development might also have some decent options for you.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Definitely look at Midtown Crossing and the Old Market. Also, there are some fairly nice apartments on Indian Hills Drive (near 84th and Dodge) which are within walking distance of a library branch and several restaurants and shops.

The new Aksarben Village development might also have some decent options for you.
Aredhel,
Thanks for providing some details.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I agree with Aredhel and the choices provided, the links below will give you an idea of just where in Omaha these places are at. As well you can search the google map for other apt locations that might be of interest to you.

https://goo.gl/maps/GorJYvLnuvj

https://goo.gl/maps/Y345Syf3Ypu

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Nebra...&nr=600&xr=900

Old 01-09-2016, 12:00 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Those links AksarbeN gave are great for getting oriented! And here are two about the Indian Hills Drive area; the first has a map on it which shows you where Indian Hills Drive is located:

Indian Hills Apartments - 102 South 85th Street
Indian Hills Terrace Apartments For Rent in Omaha, Nebraska - ForRent.com

Yet another neighborhood to check out that offers some nice walkable options is Dundee: Apartments For Rent in Douglas County NE | Zillow Look at the section of the map between 52 Street and Saddle Creek Road, on either side of Dodge; that's Dundee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: