Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are planning to relocate to Omaha this summer because of my job. Our son will be going to middle school (grade 6) starting this fall. We have been searching for good school district and found that Elkhorn middle school has a very good rating in this site: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community.

Can somebody comment about this school? What are the other good schools in the area closer to the University of Omaha (where I will be working).

Thank you so much in advance for all of your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 03:48 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,137 times
All I can say is that Elkhorn schools are in a good area of town. I went to Millard High school and that is also a nice area of town.

Can't comment on the teachers or the student body of ether school.

If your business is at UNO then you might investigate Westside 66 schools that are right in that area. I have no reference for school ratings. You will need to check that yourself.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 PM

Dear Garthur,

Thank you so much for this info. Yes I checked the westside district 66 schools and they look pretty good too, but Elkhorn ranks higher.

The Elkhorn area looks to have new housing development and I can find a new house in the 300k range. I am just thinking that (without any reasonable basis) the new housing area might be relatively good neighborhood for my son. Any opinion about those two areas (Elkhorn and district 66)? Do you suggest any particular areas to stay away?

Also, is it practical to commute from Elkhorn area to UNO? What will be the commute time in peak hours?

Old 04-04-2016, 09:44 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,879,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abtfamily View Post
Also, is it practical to commute from Elkhorn area to UNO? What will be the commute time in peak hours?
Your commute time from Elkhorn to UNO will be 20-30 minutes (depending on the weather and the exact route you take).

Everything west of 72nd Street is suburbia, and the differences between the suburban school districts are fairly small. Your son will get a good education in any of those districts (District 66, Millared, or Elkhorn being the major ones).

Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 PM

Thank you Aredhel.

I just found out that "Elkhorn Middle School" and "Elkhorn Ridge Middle School" are two different schools that are very close by. The second one is what I had in mind. It also makes the travel time slightly less to UNO.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:34 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,137 times
Elkhorn, Millard and Westside 66 schools are in upper middle income areas.

The difference is that Elkhorn is a newer area. Westside is at least 40 years older. Commute time from Elkhorn to UNO (as said in another lost) 20-30 mins. Commute from Millard would be about 20-25 mins. Commute time from Westside would be about 10 mins. All these commute times would be in rush hour traffic. Omaha doesn't have much traffic.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 15,607 times
I agree with others that the commute that one has from Elkhart to various colleges or even downtown Omaha where a lot of the businesses are is quite the trip. If you're looking for the same type of newer area with really good schools there is the Millard school district which boasts some of the best elementary, middle and high schools in the Omaha metro! If you'd like a more suburban feel you can also look further south in areas such as Papillion/La Vista. This area also has excellent schools and Papillion has been rated one of the best cities to live in the country years and years in a row! Worth the look! Welcome to Omaha you will love it here!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 13,677 times
Yeah the best schools districts are Elkorn, Papillion and Millard. All great. I think papillons opening up a brand new Jr High next year which will be brand spanking new and in a excellent family safe town. Elkorn is off in the corner of west west Omaha but Omaha is expanding west so there's more new businesses and money and housing there but costs a little more. Millard is more commercial areas surrounded by great suburbia neighborhoods. Papillion is more south part of Omaha which is has been rated best small town for years running as its middle class, super safe and family friendly and has parks and short drive from Omaha. It depends honestly on your work location. You basically can get anywhere in Omaha in 25minutes or less outside of rush hour. But I'll be honest drive times and traffic does stink at morning commutes (on dodge express going to UNO into Omaha from elkhorn) and Interstates but clears up well after rush hour but I make the drive everyday and it can take 30-40 minutes some days because of accidents that happen frequently and also winter weather. It's a hassle for that hour if I'm being completely honest if you catch peak times but it's only for an hour then passes and is fine. If your working near UNO or near downtown there are good areas in Omaha Public Schools as well but Millard, Papillion and Elkhorn have better schools along with Westside. The best Omaha School near west Omaha is Burke. Papillon South, Millard West, Millard North, Both elkhorn high schools are all great. The truth is there are many very nice places and neighborhoods in Millard Papillion, elkhorn, Bellevue, La Vista, Ralston and Omaha but there are spotty poorer areas that you'd want to avoid but just take a trip and it's easy to see. Most of the poorer areas are areas of different race demographics in far eastern and North Omaha. It's sad but the difference in funding is very apparent but all schools west of say 84th street are all ok. West side (district 66) is very good and there are rich areas of north Omaha that may have good Jr highs but a lot of richer areas attend Creighton Prep HS and women Marian/Duchene which are great and popular private schools. Just take a short trip and you'll easily see the differences in areas of elkhorn, Papillion-la Vista, Millard and housing prices amenities and find that niche of neighborhoods you like and they'll be sure to have good schools by you. The honest difference between elkhorn/Papillion/ Millard/ and Westside is negligible. You won't be getting significant differences. The main difference is elkhorn is brand new, new part of recently engulfed Omaha; west side is older established town but upper middle class and not poor in the least. Papillion South is also very new and has comparable teaching and facilities to Elkorn in every way (talking high schools as I'm not familiar with Jr highs as much). Millard north and west are also big very nice schools as well as Burke (in Omaha) as all are just as good as elkhorn with no drop in education or facility (only in certain sports!...elkhorn I believe is class B about to go up as its a bit smaller-this is a mute point!). Just drive around town check out each area for yourself. Won't be wrong in any it's all suburbia paradise only with different ages houses and feels. I for instance went to Papillion South which I would say is the best (biased opinion I know!), but honestly its all the same as elkhorn and Millard and District 66. I'd let my kids go to any of these including Burke and bellevue schools not bat an eye! Have friends attended each and there all good and not statistically different.

Last edited by Johndoesmith08; 04-11-2016 at 11:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha