U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 PM

736 posts, read 1,667,542 times

Advertisements

I know that there is another thread started about the stadium, I wanted to get some fresh feed back with a new thread.

I have looked over the picture of the new ball park on the front cover of the OWH the other night and gazed for quite a while, and a few things came to mind.

1. I noticed that the whole complex is contained by a fence and there are gates you have to go through to get to the festivities.
Question; Are you going to have to pay to get into the complex? To enjoy the party happening around the ball park.

2. Since there is entrances you have to go through does that mean that the city is going to over see all of the concessions stands and t-shirt/suveneirs vendors. If so I can see the prices skyrocket due to the 40% cut the city gets from everything sold on city property.

3. What about tailgater parties I have a strange felling those are going to be a thing of the past. Who is going to want to tailgate when you have to walk a half mile just to get to the park.

4. Dinger'sville again a thing of the past where would they put the campers.

5. The beer gardens, where will they go? I have a strange feeling that those too are going away.

6. Hanging out in front of the stadium, I think it is going to be a pay thing now.

7. Fireworks shows, with the limited parking and the thousands of people being down there I feel it is going to be a major hassle for the average Joe to take his family to watch them. at least with the 13th street location now you have many avenues of escape when leaving the show when it is finished.

I fell that a downtown location is just going to the death of the CWS for many people. The city is going to turn this into a pay to play event.
I know many folks just like to hang out by the stadium without even getting tickets to a game. That is the fun of it now. That is all going to change.

The City of Omaha just lost the only major city wide festival that was enjoyed by so many people.

Now it is just sterilized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:36 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,651,635 times
I think your prejudging things pretty badly. You even go as far as to just assume they'll get rid of the beer garden. Why do you think this? Why would you think there would be no tailgating? Have you ever been to a college or pro football game? You seem to be basing all your assumptions on a "hunch" or a "strange feeling." All of it is completely unsubstantiated.

No, the CWS won't be the same. But it could be better! Furthermore, the NCAA was strongly pushing for the new venue. Would you rather not have a CWS at all? I'm not saying that was happening in the next couple years, but it would have eventually happened.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:06 PM

852 posts, read 1,197,320 times
I completely disagree. While a move to a downtown stadium will be strange, I think it will only improve the CWS experience especially for the out-of-towners. Now they can stay in hotels, eat in the downtown restaurants and grab a few drinks within blocks of the stadium. This will be a huge benefit to the downtown area and will further drive the re-development of north downtown. I think that you'll see plenty of beer gardens near the stadium but you may be right about tailgating because I don't see the city finding room to do this. I could be wrong though. I'm in the minority here but I think that a new downtown staidum is exactly what the city and the CWS need to breathe some new life into it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying its broken but it can definitely be improved.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,651,635 times
Nice post Yman. I don't think you're in the minority though. I think most people like the idea...there just not outspoken on the issue. Most people I know really like the idea. We're just hearing the fired up minority who are passionately attached to Rosenblatt, which I understand.

I think the new stadium will really turn the CWS into something even more special.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,543,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Nice post Yman. I don't think you're in the minority though. I think most people like the idea...there just not outspoken on the issue. Most people I know really like the idea. We're just hearing the fired up minority who are passionately attached to Rosenblatt, which I understand.

I think the new stadium will really turn the CWS into something even more special.
I concur - Rosenblatt has a wonderful history and the CWS is absolutly a key part of that.

Omaha is a changing city and the downtown area has had fantastic redevelopment going on (and continues to). Between the new developments in Midtown (Mutual); the NoDo items (e.g. Saddle Creek Records); the RiverFront, Gallup, Qwest; Old Market; more downtown residential; and commercial stores downtown to support residential citizens (e.g. grocery, etc) are all proof that this is a dynamic and changing (for the positive) area.... this community will get behind the downtown stadium if it contributes to that redevelopment success....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha