Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 06:50 PM

32 posts, read 42,796 times

Advertisements

Is Omaha becoming more of a popular city? Is it hip and modern? Or is it a flyover city.....what do people think when they think of omaha?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 09:54 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
I have never heard Omaha and hip and modern in the same sentence.

Omaha has some very respectable tourist attraction in the country. What I mean by "Omaha" is Omaha and the surrounding area.

If I had my way Omaha would remain a "fly-over" city.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Actually, "Omaha" and "hip" have appeared in the same sentence in at least one place (though it is from a decade ago). I remember running across it at the time:

If It's Hip, It's Gotta Be Omaha - latimes

Old 10-05-2016, 02:20 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I have never heard Omaha and hip and modern in the same sentence.
Then you haven't been paying attention.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM

32 posts, read 42,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Then you haven't been paying attention.

I'm curiois what your opinion of Omaha is McBain?

Old 10-05-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovtravel View Post
I'm curiois what your opinion of Omaha is McBain?
I love Omaha. Wish I still lived there.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:35 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
This is not meant to be about McBain, but there sure a lot of people commenting on Omaha and Nebraska in other threads, because they lived here for a few years. Some of us the have lived here for their entire lives and have no intention of ever moving because we do love living here and this is a serious comment about Nebraska and Omaha.

Omaha is very popular for reasons that are not relatable to most. Omaha is really a small town that has become a mid size town. Easy to get around, light traffic, easy parking, low stress, low crime, good medical care, and low unemployment with low cost of living. Another advantage is the change of seasons, real winter, hot summers, fall colors, spring leaving of the tress and the greening of the grass. For those of us that live in the country, the crops as they grow and then the smells of harvest in the fall.

I have lived outside of Omaha now for 30 years but lived in Omaha for the first half of my life and I still get into Omaha twice a week so the town stays fresh in my mind.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:07 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,544,498 times
Omaha's film industry is getting more and more attention

so Omaha is becoming popular for film-makers and actors to do work in

Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Omaha is really a small town that has become a mid size town.
I don't want to sound like I am jumping on you over this one (especially since your post was very positive about Omaha) so please don't take this the wrong way, but I really wish we could dispense with this kind of thing. Omaha isn't...nor has it ever been...a small town. It's a major city. You could argue that it still has something of a small town atmosphere about it, but that's about the extent of it.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:27 PM

217 posts, read 208,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Omaha isn't...nor has it ever been...a small town. It's a major city. .
I lived in Omaha for 10 years and would argue very strongly that it isn't a major city. It has a high population because Omaha annexed a lot of the surrounding areas that are technically in Omaha but are really suburbs. Omaha is technically more populous than St. Louis, but anyone who has ever been to both cities knows that St. Louis is a much bigger city. Milwaukee, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Columbus, etc. are all much larger and relevant cities in the Midwest and they aren't even the biggest cities in the region.

I do miss some of the things that Omaha offered (no traffic, nice downtown, great restaurants, low crime rate) I just don't really consider it to be a bustling metropolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha