U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:07 AM

33 posts, read 109,169 times

Advertisements

Okay, now I'm confident we could find a neighborhood and home we will be happy with, BUT I just can't figure out the schools. Some say, "West is Best." But it seems like you have to live there to get into those schools even with open enrollment, and we don't want to live there, anyway. Westside? Millard? Bellvue? Is there really a big difference there?

Does anyone have High School kids in a private school? If so, which one(s) do you like and why? How is Brownwell-Talbot?

The public magnets look attractive to us, but my kids don't have any experience with gangs, and I want to keep it that way.

This is really tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 09:27 AM

8,187 posts, read 7,946,650 times
Brownell Talbot is a great school, but it does cost a great deal of money....I don't know if that would be an issue with you or not.
If your children are highly motivated students, Central may be a good fit for them. Westside has a very solid, good reputation. But it is very large, again if your children are motivated, they would do great here. If they are not motivated, they would get lost in the crowd.
I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Mercy, Marion and Duschene all of which are girls only high schools. Mercy and Duschene are both located in Midtown. Prep also has an excellent reputation and it is a boys only high school, located close to midtown.
My eldest daughter will be going to Papillion high school, I've nothing but good things to say about this district. But you do have to live here to go there.
I've heard good things about Bellevue East, but aside from that I really don't know much about it.
Really, I don't think you could go wrong in any of the area high schools. It all boils down to your childrens temperments. If they are looking for trouble, they'll find it but if they wish to excell they will have every opportunity to do so.
Good Luck! I know how hard picking a school can be!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM

3,330 posts, read 6,312,765 times
I go to Millard and there's a very nice program at Millard North Highschool called the IB program which is a world class program. Omaha public schools have a terrible reputation so and large gang prescences in the eastern highschools so i'd advise not going there.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:23 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for your input. I'll definitely be checking out Millard.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,101,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
My eldest daughter will be going to Papillion high school, I've nothing but good things to say about this district. But you do have to live here to go there.
Not totally sure that is a true statement. I think I heard the superintendent the other day speak and say that they do support limited open enrollment from outside the district/county (if there is room)... might want to contact the district directly to validate.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Not totally sure that is a true statement. I think I heard the superintendent the other day speak and say that they do support limited open enrollment from outside the district/county (if there is room)... might want to contact the district directly to validate.
You could very well be right........I do know that certain grade schools within the PVL district are closed, my fault in assuming it held true for the high schools as well.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 AM

2,583 posts, read 7,101,915 times
Quote:
You could very well be right........I do know that certain grade schools within the PVL district are closed, my fault in assuming it held true for the high schools as well.
Not suprised on an elementary being closed due to the growth in Papillion/LaVista; however, they are opening one new elementary this year and I think another next year so that should add some potential capacity if open enrollment is allowed.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM

Thanks for your advice everyone! If anyone else has other opinions, those would be appreciated, too. No one went to or has kids in private school? JW

Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 AM

My sisters daughter went to Mercy, and she absolutely loved it. They were instrumental in helping my niece plan for college.
Gross is coed, but I haven't heard much good about it regarding academics.
I have a friend who has children at Brownell Talbot, great school -- very much college prep, but you will pay a lot for it!
My nephew went to Mount Michael (boarding school/day school in Elkhorn) loved it. The experience truly made him into a fine young man. I do know that parents in Korea send their sons to Mount Michael, and they have a very high rate of kids going on to college, local and ivy league.
I hope this helps.....

Old 02-27-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
My sisters daughter went to Mercy, and she absolutely loved it. They were instrumental in helping my niece plan for college.
Gross is coed, but I haven't heard much good about it regarding academics.
I have a friend who has children at Brownell Talbot, great school -- very much college prep, but you will pay a lot for it!
My nephew went to Mount Michael (boarding school/day school in Elkhorn) loved it. The experience truly made him into a fine young man. I do know that parents in Korea send their sons to Mount Michael, and they have a very high rate of kids going on to college, local and ivy league.
I hope this helps.....
Yes, this helps a lot. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha