U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 08:19 PM

87 posts, read 57,063 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a 22 year-old currently going to school in San Antonio, Texas to become an aircraft mechanic. I am currently researching different cities to relocate to when I finish school.

I would like a new start in a city with low COL and where the weather has four seasons along with decent outdoor activities and scenery. Omaha seems like it may work well, I just have a couple of questions:

1. How is the job market there for aircraft mechanics?and for those that have experience with Texas or similar states,is COL lower than Texas?

2. How would you rate the weather and scenery?

3.How open is it to diversity? I am Latino and while I speak English well I may not come off as the most americanized person.I have to ask because I have been to places here in Texas where these things are seen negatively by some people (ex. Speaking Spanish in public or playing Spanish music) Pretty much my question is:would it effect social life and dating?Sorry if this comes off as ignorant or offensive but I have never been to the Midwest so I have no idea what I can expect.

Any advice is welcome, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 07:12 AM

149 posts, read 131,134 times
I just moved up from out in Midland, TX, last October. I cannot speak to the number of jobs for aircraft mechanics, not much help there.

As far as COL, I would say that it can be pretty inexpensive here. If you're looking to rent here you can get into some pretty reasonable accommodations for under $850 or so. If you are looking to buy something to consider is that property taxes are higher here than they are in TX (but when you come here it's very easy to understand why - lots of city maintained parks etc.) You will absolutely get 4 seasons here, from snow and temperatures below zero to the occasional day approaching 100 degrees. You get a lot of wind here, you get the awesome lightning and thunder storms, you get a lot more of everything. There are a good number of smallish lakes here and the Missouri river on the east side of Omaha, lots of opportunities for fishing and being near water. There are a ton of community events to participate in so you can be as busy as you want to be in your spare time.

As far as diversity, I don't think you would have any problem here. Omaha is a very diverse city, I've read somewhere that the percentage of each race in America is represented almost completely proportionately in Omaha compared to at the national scale. With that being said, it seems like a lot of folks in Omaha tend to 'self-segregate' and different pockets of the city tend to skew in one direction or the other pretty heavily as it pertains to race. I can't imagine your ability to date here would be hindered by this though, Omaha isn't a backwards looking city in that way, in my opinion.

I would encourage you to take a trip up sometime! Flights can be pretty inexpensive into Omaha and there are a lot of things to do and see here during a few days/week long stay.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahawes View Post
I just moved up from out in Midland, TX, last October. I cannot speak to the number of jobs for aircraft mechanics, not much help there.

As far as COL, I would say that it can be pretty inexpensive here. If you're looking to rent here you can get into some pretty reasonable accommodations for under $850 or so. If you are looking to buy something to consider is that property taxes are higher here than they are in TX (but when you come here it's very easy to understand why - lots of city maintained parks etc.) You will absolutely get 4 seasons here, from snow and temperatures below zero to the occasional day approaching 100 degrees. You get a lot of wind here, you get the awesome lightning and thunder storms, you get a lot more of everything. There are a good number of smallish lakes here and the Missouri river on the east side of Omaha, lots of opportunities for fishing and being near water. There are a ton of community events to participate in so you can be as busy as you want to be in your spare time.

As far as diversity, I don't think you would have any problem here. Omaha is a very diverse city, I've read somewhere that the percentage of each race in America is represented almost completely proportionately in Omaha compared to at the national scale. With that being said, it seems like a lot of folks in Omaha tend to 'self-segregate' and different pockets of the city tend to skew in one direction or the other pretty heavily as it pertains to race. I can't imagine your ability to date here would be hindered by this though, Omaha isn't a backwards looking city in that way, in my opinion.

I would encourage you to take a trip up sometime! Flights can be pretty inexpensive into Omaha and there are a lot of things to do and see here during a few days/week long stay.
Thank you for your response, Omaha is sounding good; I'll try to visit soon.

Old 03-06-2017, 11:48 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,298,046 times
You may want to find a job before you move. Omaha is not prime for A&P's. Lincoln would be better, but the best would be Wichita KS, half the jobs their are for aircraft mechanics.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:05 PM

13,929 posts, read 19,142,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
You may want to find a job before you move. Omaha is not prime for A&P's. Lincoln would be better, but the best would be Wichita KS, half the jobs their are for aircraft mechanics.
Yeah, but Wichita freaking blows.

Old 03-08-2017, 11:00 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,263,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico210 View Post
Hello,

I'm a 22 year-old currently going to school in San Antonio, Texas to become an aircraft mechanic. I am currently researching different cities to relocate to when I finish school.

I would like a new start in a city with low COL and where the weather has four seasons along with decent outdoor activities and scenery. Omaha seems like it may work well, I just have a couple of questions:

1. How is the job market there for aircraft mechanics?and for those that have experience with Texas or similar states,is COL lower than Texas?

2. How would you rate the weather and scenery?

3.How open is it to diversity? I am Latino and while I speak English well I may not come off as the most americanized person.I have to ask because I have been to places here in Texas where these things are seen negatively by some people (ex. Speaking Spanish in public or playing Spanish music) Pretty much my question is:would it effect social life and dating?Sorry if this comes off as ignorant or offensive but I have never been to the Midwest so I have no idea what I can expect.

Any advice is welcome, thank you.
Chico,
Lincoln is the home of Duncan Aviation. They have a reputation as one of the best in private aviation. You might want to Google them. I know several of their employees and they all love working there.

Weather in Nebraska can be colder than San Antonio during the Winter but the scenery will be similar. Miles and miles of miles and miles LOL. But like Texas, Nebraska has lots of great people.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:16 PM

2,984 posts, read 2,139,021 times
You may wanna check out Memphis or Louisville. FedEx in Memphis and UPS in Louisville. I know they pay good and have good benefits. I'm sure they hire airplane mechanics.

You also might wanna check out Boeing in North Charleston, South Carolina. There is a large factory there that may have some use for airplane mechanics.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You may wanna check out Memphis or Louisville. FedEx in Memphis and UPS in Louisville. I know they pay good and have good benefits. I'm sure they hire airplane mechanics.

You also might wanna check out Boeing in North Charleston, South Carolina. There is a large factory there that may have some use for airplane mechanics.
I know a guy doing that for UPS in Louisville pulling 120k a year with benefits. Apparently there are so many job open in Louisville they cannot recruit enough people to fill them....thus I bet salary could be negotiated higher!

Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I know a guy doing that for UPS in Louisville pulling 120k a year with benefits. Apparently there are so many job open in Louisville they cannot recruit enough people to fill them....thus I bet salary could be negotiated higher!
That sounds good; not sure about Kentucky though.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:48 AM

2,984 posts, read 2,139,021 times
Don't judge Kentucky by what you hear or how it fares on state rankings.. Go check it out for yourself for a few days and then decide if you might like to live there or not. Kentucky is better in real life than than the numbers and stats indicate. Outside of Appalachian Mountains, Kentucky isnt noticeably more poverty stricken than other state. Kentucky's a nice modern state with nice friendly people. It's more scenic than any state in the Midwest.. Louisville is a nice fairly large and diverse metro area around 1.3 million or so. Its very modern and has lots of interesting history. its quite a bit older than Indianapolis. Larger than Wichita and Omaha. There's plenty of stuff to do to keep young adults entertained. Louisville is also close enough to make day trips and overnight trips to places like Nashville and Chicago and Atlanta.
A job that pays $120k a year would be hard to turn down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or