U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 AM

15 posts, read 44,425 times

Advertisements

I've arrived! I've been here for a week now and I absolutely love it here! I have to admit, I'm not particularly fond of the morning/after work traffic; but hey, its a big city right?!? Keeping that in mind...the traffic and commute is actually extremely manageable; much better than the Detroit area I was used to!!! I finally (and thankfully) chose Harrison Hills apartments...awesome by the way!!! There is so much to do in Omaha and so much culture...I really made the right decision to relocate here!!! So, as a fellow Nebraskan, I just wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful input and I'm so excited to become a member of the Omaha club!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 01:35 AM

303 posts, read 676,373 times
WELCOME TO NEBRASKA

Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 AM

2,583 posts, read 7,081,944 times
Also, WELCOME.

I live in Papillion so we are real close neighbors... if you are looking for anything just post it...

On the traffic side, what part of town are you traveling to/from for work? Might be able to give you a couple of traffic hints...

Old 03-09-2008, 08:34 AM

189 posts, read 24,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonsfan View Post
I've arrived! I've been here for a week now and I absolutely love it here! I have to admit, I'm not particularly fond of the morning/after work traffic; but hey, its a big city right?!? Keeping that in mind...the traffic and commute is actually extremely manageable; much better than the Detroit area I was used to!!! I finally (and thankfully) chose Harrison Hills apartments...awesome by the way!!! There is so much to do in Omaha and so much culture...I really made the right decision to relocate here!!! So, as a fellow Nebraskan, I just wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful input and I'm so excited to become a member of the Omaha club!!!
Welcome to Omaha, from another Detroit refugee.(4 years ago)
There's a long line of houses for sale and resume's flying out from there, be glad we were able to move!
Traffic? Oh, some 'rush hour' traffic, but its avoidable once you learn the shortcuts and best travel times. Traffic here is NOTHING near as bad as most metro areas, in my opinion. I live 'Aksarben' area and can make the 6 mile drive downtown in about 10 minutes. Or all the way across town from Elkhorn to downtown in less than 1/2 hour. Try getting across Oakland County or 696 to the East side of Detroit suburbs in an hour!
And you'll see it is very easy to learn your way around here. The streets and main roads are named/numbered to make it easier.I used to rely heavy on my road maps and GPS. Never have needed to drive in town with the GPS. Sure need it to find anything in Council Bluffs, though.
And would you believe- Hey we have not have near as much snow as Detroit this winter. Its been one of the coldest winters, but snowfall has been below average.

Last edited by downthathighway; 03-09-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 03-09-2008, 10:32 AM

1,823 posts, read 3,467,059 times
Welcome to Nebraska, glad to hear you are going well.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:41 AM

I take 80-480-75 to get to the downtown area...am I missing anything?

Old 03-09-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downthathighway View Post
Welcome to Omaha, from another Detroit refugee.(4 years ago)
There's a long line of houses for sale and resume's flying out from there, be glad we were able to move!
Traffic? Oh, some 'rush hour' traffic, but its avoidable once you learn the shortcuts and best travel times. Traffic here is NOTHING near as bad as most metro areas, in my opinion. I live 'Aksarben' area and can make the 6 mile drive downtown in about 10 minutes. Or all the way across town from Elkhorn to downtown in less than 1/2 hour. Try getting across Oakland County or 696 to the East side of Detroit suburbs in an hour!
And you'll see it is very easy to learn your way around here. The streets and main roads are named/numbered to make it easier.I used to rely heavy on my road maps and GPS. Never have needed to drive in town with the GPS. Sure need it to find anything in Council Bluffs, though.
And would you believe- Hey we have not have near as much snow as Detroit this winter. Its been one of the coldest winters, but snowfall has been below average.
I know right?!? I am VERY thankful to my new company to have given me such an amazing opportunity here in Omaha! Especially, as you mentioned, to have gotten out of "the D"--where it seems to be getting worse and worse! And you're right..a 20 minute drive here would be at least an hour back home!!! Have you found that the people here are SOOO much nicer too?! I love that! As for learning my way about town..I'm getting better, but definately need some more practice!!! I can't wait to get out and meet some new people!! Thanks for the input!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,081,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonsfan View Post
I take 80-480-75 to get to the downtown area...am I missing anything?
No, but how do you get to 80?

Also, there are several alternatives in case there are accidents/backups, so those are good to know to...

That apt complex is the one on Harrison correct? I'll give you a few alternatives when I have a few minutes to post again.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:36 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,996,025 times
Default congratulations!!

Let us know if you have any more questions, some of us have done much research on our metro and can give you some specifics or ideas..

Congrats on your move, and we're very excited to have you here!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
No, but how do you get to 80?

Also, there are several alternatives in case there are accidents/backups, so those are good to know to...

That apt complex is the one on Harrison correct? I'll give you a few alternatives when I have a few minutes to post again.

Yes; I take Harrison to Giles to 80. I have found it to be the least congested with few lights. I did encounter an accident the other day and it set me back about 20minutes, so alt. routes would probably be good to know..thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha