Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 PM

156 posts, read 609,758 times

Advertisements

Commonly, what is the yearly salary for an experienced executive assistant in Omaha, esp. one who also has done project analysis in defense, IT and finance along with the daily duties of an EA? The type industry does not worry me, as I've also worked in healthcare, education, engineering. In Calif., EAs get at least 25.00 per hour, and that was back in 2005. I'm currently investigating some mid-large cities to relocate to and LA, Boston, NYC, Chicago, Atlanta are not cities I'm interested in. I also understand that cities are becoming more homogenous and really starting to even out, salary-wise, throughout the U.S. (for the most part). Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:23 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Check Salary.com

Old 03-25-2008, 03:00 PM

Thx. Dave1215. I hope they're precise; accurate market pricing requires more than these search engines can provide: information which can vary from site to site or, the way employers are acting nowadays, from week to week. I'll check them out, while awaiting what local EAs say they get.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,255 times
Yeah, Salary.com will only give you a pretty generic idea and will do little to incorporate your work experience. I don't really have any specific details concerning the salary for an executive assistant, but both defense, IT, and healthcare are very well represented sectors in Omaha.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Yeah, Salary.com will only give you a pretty generic idea and will do little to incorporate your work experience. I don't really have any specific details concerning the salary for an executive assistant, but both defense, IT, and healthcare are very well represented sectors in Omaha.
Oh, really? Wow. That's incredibly helpful to know...Thx.!

Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,255 times
Yes, Omaha is actually pretty well known for its healthcare environment. We have two medical universities and both have excellent reputations, the University of Nebraska-Med Center (UNMC) in particular. UNMC is a internationally recognized institution and is really top notch. In addition, and probably related to the proximity of 2 med schools, the Omaha metro has a very robust private healthcare offering. It seems like everyone I know works at a hospital or has a spouse that works at a hospital!!

There are several defense contractors with large offices in the area due to proximity of the Strategic Air Command (SAC). Omaha's relationship with the Air Force is one of its calling cards.

If you've never been to Omaha I think you might be pleasantly surprised. There are several fortune 500 and fortune 100 companies with their home office located in Omaha. To name a few, Union Pacific, Ameritrade, Paypal, Conagra all are based in Omaha. That doesn't sound like that big of deal but when you consider the Omaha metro only has a population of about 800 to 900,000 people its pretty impressive. In addition, there are 100's of major offices (but not technically "home" offices) from other companies. If I'm not mistaken Google is building a pretty large campus in Council Bluffs. You mix all this together with the strong heathcare and defense offerings and I think you wouldn't have too much trouble finding something you'd like.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah30:18 View Post
Thx. Dave1215. I hope they're precise; accurate market pricing requires more than these search engines can provide: information which can vary from site to site or, the way employers are acting nowadays, from week to week. I'll check them out, while awaiting what local EAs say they get.
Agree, but it is a baseline that you work up/down from...

Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Agree, but it is a baseline that you work up/down from...

That's true...it shouldn't be too far off, if it was. Thx.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Yes, Omaha is actually pretty well known for its healthcare environment. We have two medical universities and both have excellent reputations, the University of Nebraska-Med Center (UNMC) in particular. UNMC is a internationally recognized institution and is really top notch. In addition, and probably related to the proximity of 2 med schools, the Omaha metro has a very robust private healthcare offering. It seems like everyone I know works at a hospital or has a spouse that works at a hospital!!

There are several defense contractors with large offices in the area due to proximity of the Strategic Air Command (SAC). Omaha's relationship with the Air Force is one of its calling cards.

If you've never been to Omaha I think you might be pleasantly surprised. There are several fortune 500 and fortune 100 companies with their home office located in Omaha. To name a few, Union Pacific, Ameritrade, Paypal, Conagra all are based in Omaha. That doesn't sound like that big of deal but when you consider the Omaha metro only has a population of about 800 to 900,000 people its pretty impressive. In addition, there are 100's of major offices (but not technically "home" offices) from other companies. If I'm not mistaken Google is building a pretty large campus in Council Bluffs. You mix all this together with the strong heathcare and defense offerings and I think you wouldn't have too much trouble finding something you'd like.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Wow, I can't imagine all of that with only 800-900,000 people! You're right. That is pretty amazing. I think people may typically "forget" about Omaha, you know what I mean? Kind of like some nicer smaller big cities in Calif. where I'm from. Maybe locals don't want anyone to know (-??) about this best-kept secret spot on earth, if you know what I mean! I remember meeting some really nice people from there once and I hear your downtown symphony hall has great seasonal world-class offerings. Right now I'm trying to determine between Nashville & Omaha and, as I used to live in Nashville and loved its people (and had a couple super unpleasant things happen from not-such-nice people), you're really helping make this decision tough (jj!) as I feel myself sway in O's direction after reading all that. Besides, I posted the same question on the Nashville thread and -- so far, nada. No response. (Kinda wierd for a city with so many renowned people in it & where locals say it's progressive, huh?)

Oh, BTW, being a SoCal gal, we scg's need our Trader Joe's. Is there one in Omaha? I also like Wild Oats, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. Thanks for all of your thoughtful help so much!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,271 times
Sorry to disappoint you, but no Trader Joe's, perhaps maybe in the future. There is a Whole Foods and there use to be 2 Wild Oats, but they either both closed or one of them, can't remember exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: