U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 17,951 times

Advertisements

Ok, I was ticked for no valid registration an no proof of insurance.

I have the insurance and registration renewed now and i'm going to head down to the prosecutor's office today to show them.

Will I likely still have to go to court? If so, how much can I expect for fines, etc. I have no record whatsoever beyond this. Thanks!!!

Last edited by jackwalsh; 04-04-2008 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,046,622 times
You need to appear, however, unless it was a courtesy citation(fix-it ticket), I believe that you will still be charged for not having the appropriate documents at the time.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM

475 posts, read 2,036,874 times
If you let your insurance lapse in particular... that is one damn serious offense. If YOU hit ME... and I'm seriously injured resulting in tens of thousands in hospital expenses... do YOU plan to pay for that out of pocket?? KEEP YOUR INSURANCE UP TO DATE!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 17,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
If you let your insurance lapse in particular... that is one damn serious offense. If YOU hit ME... and I'm seriously injured resulting in tens of thousands in hospital expenses... do YOU plan to pay for that out of pocket?? KEEP YOUR INSURANCE UP TO DATE!
Yeah, thanks for the lecture, big guy. Not what I was asking for.

If anyone has an actual answer, that'd be much appreciated!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,070,179 times
You will still have to pay the penalty. Did you get a ticket? Or an actual court date? If it's a ticket, you should just have the amount to mail in. If it's a court date, you'll likely still have to appear before the judge to 'splain yourself. The fact that you've since taken care of business does not change the fact that you were in the wrong before. If anything, it shows that the only reason you did was because you got caught.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,232 times
Yes, you'll have to go to court. If the insurance was "in the mail" then the prosecutor would probably drop everything. They often write off the registration once its taken care of. The serious issue is the insurance. It sounds like in your case you didn't have the insurance "in the mail" and didn't purchase it (or renew it) until after the ticket. The prosecutor will look and see the ticket precedes the insurance issuance and probably choose not to drop the issue.

There is no reason to fret too much though. It may come down to how long its been expired. If you just had a brain lapse and its only gone about a month without being renewed then the judge will be pretty easy on you. If, however, you've been driving around for the last 2 years without insurance then he may lean on you a bit more. Nevertheless, I wouldn't expect anything too serious. The standard fine seems to be a few hundred bucks...provided this is a first offense.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM

736 posts, read 1,663,483 times
Traffic Violations Statute
Expired Veh Reg 60-362
No proof of Insurance 60-3,167

these are the Statutes you were written for you can look them up for fines.

I hope the Prosecutor throws the book at you.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:16 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,070,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Traffic Violations Statute
Expired Veh Reg 60-362
No proof of Insurance 60-3,167

these are the Statutes you were written for you can look them up for fines.

I hope the Prosecutor throws the book at you.

Thank you. Imagine the problems he'd have created for someone if he'd have hit 'em. Take responsibility and do what is required of you. I don't like the fact that I have to buy insurance and pay the exhorbitant Omaha taxes, either...but that's the way it is.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM

5,598 posts, read 17,335,492 times
The last series of posts in this thread have been deleted for being off-topic, argumentative, and replete with personal attacks. Please note that you can only see your own deletion notice. Several members' posts have been deleted in that series.

Remember what our T.O.S. states, please:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Since the OP hasn't checked back in weeks, this thread is now closed.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or