U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,995,312 times

Advertisements

Well, you can tell when people have an agenda. It's always with 'half-truths'

I am tired of hearing about our 'high-taxes' as it is not as bad as people like

wowt is making it to be! I've been following Omaha and Nebraska issues for a

very long time, and this is one of the worst untrue myths that hold us back.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:21 PM

226 posts, read 677,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
As far as taxes the Nebraska side is better. My mom made the mistake of moving over to Iowa thinking she would save money but it ended up costing more. The main reason is that most people in Iowa work in Nebraska so they pay income tax to both states. Also some of there smaller taxes are paid more often than Nebraska's.
You do not pay taxes to both states... That is absurd!

You pay taxes directly to the state in which you work, but you owe the taxes to the state in which you reside...

Therefore you pay your taxes to Nebraska (if thats where you're working) and you owe your taxes to Iowa (if thats where you're living)... When you file your state income tax return Iowa will give you credit for what you paid to Nebraska and if u still owe more you'll have to pay the difference but since income taxes are lower in Iowa than in Nebraska you will probably get a bigger refund since you overpaid your tax liability to IA in NE.

Also in IA gas tax is cheaper thus a gallon of gas is about 10 - 15 cents cheaper on average!

To register your car will be much cheaper in Iowa esp. if your alternative is Douglas County, Nebraska where you will pay a "wheel tax" of $35 - 50 per vehicle on top of the registration fees.

Your Landline phone bill will be significantly lower in Iowa than in Nebraska

Oh yea and about the school thing are you guys serious about Nebraska's school? Sure Milliard or Westside (district 66) or even Bellevue, Lavista/papillion might be nice districts but OPS is a mess.

OPS is a horrible school district, my wife graduated from Omaha Northwest so I know... They have gang violence, school shootings, bad teachers (due to being underpaid) who don't care about their students.

Oh yea and OPS is ran by a bunch of racists too who were trying to segregate the White, Spanish, and Black students into different schools by forming a "Learning Community" thankfully the Supreme Court interviened!

TJ in CB is better than any OPS school hands down!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM

273 posts, read 26,685 times
I bought a this house from Lhollowes, but you'll have to scroll down the page for pictures, and page back for the whole story.

Reasons I hate Omaha

Old 04-28-2008, 02:47 PM

226 posts, read 677,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
I bought a this house from Lhollowes, but you'll have to scroll down the page for pictures, and page back for the whole story.

Reasons I hate Omaha

I don't get it!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 10,072 times
Default Nebraska or Iowa

Nebraska taxes took a huge hike, some homes more than doubled their taxes. As far as my opinion on OPS schools, I would definately avoid them. Check out Glenwood Iowa area. A friend of ours was transfered to Colorado and has his home up for sale. Beautiful home, huge yard, 3 car garage, finished from top to bottom, very well cared for, paved roads, ouiet, very nice neighbor hood right off of Highway 34 on Jasmine.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:15 AM

273 posts, read 26,685 times
Iowa gas is exponentially cheaper and the taxes are 25 percent less on average.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Default ..

OPS schools are actually very good, why would you avoid them?

Old 04-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Default nope..

The tax foundation has a different opinion than a few posters here, you would however pay 30.6% instead of 31.8% of your wages for taxes if you lived in Iowa than Nebraska, but you should always remember that you get what you pay for

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens Compared to Other U.S. States, 1970-2007

Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM

193 posts, read 424,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
OPS is a horrible school district, my wife graduated from Omaha Northwest so I know... They have gang violence, school shootings, bad teachers (due to being underpaid) who don't care about their students.

Oh yea and OPS is ran by a bunch of racists too who were trying to segregate the White, Spanish, and Black students into different schools by forming a "Learning Community" thankfully the Supreme Court interviened!
This is ****ing ridiculous. You want to judge all of OPS because your wife attended ONE of their schools?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,463,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post

TJ in CB is better than any OPS school hands down!
First off, I currently attend Central High. I love it here. I'm also not an idiot as your OPS hate rant would suggest. The diversity and exposure to other cultures can't be matched in any other district. I think it is a huge part of being better educated. Truth be told I'm not in love with OPS, but it is not a place to avoid by any means.

Also, OPS wanted to basically annex other school districts to create one big cohesive district. State Sen. Earnie Chambers tried to break OPS up (segregation). They fought tooth and nail to avoid it, so get your facts straight before you start slinging mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha