U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:13 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,928,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHallowes View Post
Have you tried grocery shopping at Walmart Super Center?
Arrange for your own meat... I just today picked up 135 lbs of pork and paid $2.10 lb.... Have a 1/2 beef on order now.... we never buy meat at the store - quality/price of arranging for your own can't be beat.

fyi... if you live in the city and aren't familiar with this, just call a local locker in a small town... I live in the Omaha metro and we use the Wahoo meat locker...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,736,563 times
LHallowes,

Avoiding a tax IS NOT a victimless crime! You shift the burden to everyone else. That is not victim less. Further, you ARE NOT smarter than the average joe. You don't think most people realize they'd save money by registering their vehicle in a cheaper state?? You're not smarter...you're just more dishonest. No one is jealous of you...we're sickened by you! You are a typical freeloader who is probably the first one who gripes about a pothole. The truth may hurt, but your are nothing more than a crook. And it does hurt honest taxpayers. A recent article form the Lincoln Journal Star stated that over 14,000 people in Nebraska are doing what you're doing. Plus, the state patrol also stated they they are beginning a crack down on it. One of the hotspots...Council Bluffs. Have fun with that!

Kdlrich,

You were represented when the state said they could tax you! Yes, Omaha sets the rate, but your legislative representative signed off and on it a long time ago. It just simply isn't taxation without representation.

The colonies suffered from taxation without representation because Britain was making laws that affected the people of the colonies even though the colonies had no representatives in Parliament, and there was certainly no government which superseded the British Empire. Your state government, which supersedes the city, okayed the measure, and you are represented by someone in the state legislature. The city merely sets the rate. Again, this is cool thing to say, but it simply does not apply here.

Last edited by mattpoulsen; 04-25-2008 at 05:39 PM..

Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 PM

300 posts, read 717,151 times
Mattpoulsen said that better than I could.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,519,941 times
Except that I have no say whatsoever in electing those that set the taxes on me.

Yes, I realize the state agreed to it. But it's still the city that sets the tax.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:01 PM

4,669 posts, read 1,519,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Arrange for your own meat... I just today picked up 135 lbs of pork and paid $2.10 lb.... Have a 1/2 beef on order now.... we never buy meat at the store - quality/price of arranging for your own can't be beat.

fyi... if you live in the city and aren't familiar with this, just call a local locker in a small town... I live in the Omaha metro and we use the Wahoo meat locker...
Actually, for decent hamburger, we buy 90% lean hamburger by the case at Sam's. We just bought 80 pounds for $1.71/lb. It was $.75 less/lb than if we'd have bought it there otherwise. The 80% meat was less.

We also make a homemade sausage and buy the Pork Butt roasts by the case there to make it out of, or to just throw on the smoker. I forget the exact price, but it's cheaper than buying individual roasts.

Buying a 1/2 beef or a whole hog is good--if you're looking to also get steaks, chops, etc. But we don't eat a lot of those cuts of meat. When I do, I usually buy a few from Sam's.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:00 AM

4,179 posts, read 5,555,344 times
Zactly my point, guys - in SC those ARE the prices at Wal Mart and Sam's! Nebraska is cheaper to live - even by Wal Mart Standards!

BTW, I will be 150 miles from Wal Mart when I move to NE - and darned glad of it...I used to buy whole steers and half steers, and half-hogs around here but you can't do that any more. Most folks nowadays think that meat is manufactured onto styrofoam sheets and wrapped in plastic... sigh. Can't wait to get back to the good life!

PS - Way to go, Mattpaulsen. I have listened to self-righteous 'anarchists', self-styled libertarians, and tax dodgers all my life; and they think that they are smarter than the average bear because they dump their tax burden onto everyone else. When and if they are eventually caught, they scream about their "rights" - never caring that they have infringed on the rights of others. NO ONE hates taxes as much as I - but bluntly the very courtrooms these selfish kumquats have to be prosecuted in, have to be paid for somehow. Not to mention the ambulance and/or fire truck that stays manned and staffed 24/7 (via our tax dollars) just in case one of these tax dodgers or his child falls down and hurts his widdle self, or the library that has the books and computers he and his family can use "for free"...

Old 04-26-2008, 11:27 AM

226 posts, read 665,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
When and if they are eventually caught, they scream about their "rights" - never caring that they have infringed on the rights of others. NO ONE hates taxes as much as I - but bluntly the very courtrooms these selfish kumquats have to be prosecuted in, have to be paid for somehow. Not to mention the ambulance and/or fire truck that stays manned and staffed 24/7 (via our tax dollars) just in case one of these tax dodgers or his child falls down and hurts his widdle self, or the library that has the books and computers he and his family can use "for free"...
Just because I get my car registered in another state to avoid some fees does not make someone a "selfish kumquat"

In fact I was paying sales tax everytime I bought something when I was living in Omaha... I paid NE Income tax everytime I got a paycheck... I also paid local property tax everytime I paid my rent... And just because some of my tax money went to Iowa instead of Nebraska, I still paid a tax to drive my car!

What's next, you will say people who drive over to CB to save 10 cents on a gallon of gas are crooks avoiding the gas tax?

Why not choose what state in which one registers his/her car? The fact remains that a tax was still paid whether it was to Iowa or Nebraska, and to be frank with you I still drove alot in Council Bluffs eventhough I lived in Omaha because a lot of services are better in Council Bluffs than they are in Omaha; for example, we always went to the walmart in council bluffs because the ones in omaha are way out west and the Bellevue one sucked!

Also the Alvarados mexican food was better in council bluffs as well as the Blimpies. So I was constantly over there, basically I just worked and slept in Omaha... So where do you draw the line? I even maintained a P.O. Box over there for a while so technically I even had an Iowa address!

Old 04-26-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Nice info enhenningsen. Like I have repeatedly stated, you simply live more richly in Nebraska than most other places in the U.S. Yes, our taxes a may not be as low as we'd like...but everything else is cheaper!

I'm getting tired of the "too expensive to live in Nebraska" line. If that's the case then I suggest all who can't afford the taxes in Nebraska to move to California and try to live.
I second this. I live in California right now and am skimming the forums because I am moving to Omaha this summer. My parents got a good job offer there so off we go. I am the oldest of their three children at 16 years old. The two lifestyles and tax summaries are two important factors to my family. We never had problems affording life in San Diego however is is quite expensive. Our taxes we pay are really not particularly bad, The thing that gets us is that we have no idea where our tax money goes. I have been living in San Diego my whole life and when I traveled to Nebraska with our family to see our new home and lifestyle. In Nebraska people pay less money for higher quality store products. Food is the best example. For those who have been to both California and Nebraska know that the food in California tastes like rubber compared to the rich well-maintained food from the Mid-West. The price of the food is simply cheeper in Nebraska.
Back to the Tax issue. Nebraska taxes are high, it's a fact. Your schools are amazing, your streets are clean, the crime rate is low, and your politicians aren't all crooks. People in Nebraska pay a bit more money for a lot of benefits. Coming from the good parts of San Diego I can say that Nebraska tax issue looks like a great deal, However as I stated earlier I am 16 and have not had to pay taxes yet. My experience comes through what I see and what my parents tell me.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,928,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerahrtlu View Post
Mattpoulsen said that better than I could.
Pubic congrats to Matt!!!! Like it was said, this is NOT victimless... Everyone of us living in the state are the victims and it is real money out of our pocket because these thieves (yes that's what they are) won't pay their portion. I have no hesitation in reporting them when I know about it and I'm glad the state is starting to crack down.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:48 PM

5,200 posts, read 8,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
LHallowes,

Avoiding a tax IS NOT a victimless crime! You shift the burden to everyone else. That is not victim less. Further, you ARE NOT smarter than the average joe. You don't think most people realize they'd save money by registering their vehicle in a cheaper state?? You're not smarter...you're just more dishonest. No one is jealous of you...we're sickened by you! You are a typical freeloader who is probably the first one who gripes about a pothole. The truth may hurt, but your are nothing more than a crook. And it does hurt honest taxpayers. A recent article form the Lincoln Journal Star stated that over 14,000 people in Nebraska are doing what you're doing. Plus, the state patrol also stated they they are beginning a crack down on it. One of the hotspots...Council Bluffs. Have fun with that!

Kdlrich,

You were represented when the state said they could tax you! Yes, Omaha sets the rate, but your legislative representative signed off and on it a long time ago. It just simply isn't taxation without representation.

The colonies suffered from taxation without representation because Britain was making laws that affected the people of the colonies even though the colonies had no representatives in Parliament, and there was certainly no government which superseded the British Empire. Your state government, which supersedes the city, okayed the measure, and you are represented by someone in the state legislature. The city merely sets the rate. Again, this is cool thing to say, but it simply does not apply here.
Dropped in for a closer look when I saw the topic. Have occasionally posted on the NE forum, and view it with some frequency, bec. I'm looking at a couple of NE universities as possibilities for grad school when that time comes.

MattP . . . rep, rep, and more rep, if they'd let me. And then a little more rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha