Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:09 PM

44 posts, read 80,844 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow Omaha-ers! I'm new here. The wife and I just bought our first RV, (a 98 Winnebego Chieftan) and we are hoping to make our first trip to warmer weather this February. We got some nice brochures from a number of places and they all seem real nice. Any recommendations for a couple of first-timers?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD SPOT View Post
Hello fellow Omaha-ers! I'm new here. The wife and I just bought our first RV, (a 98 Winnebego Chieftan) and we are hoping to make our first trip to warmer weather this February. We got some nice brochures from a number of places and they all seem real nice. Any recommendations for a couple of first-timers?

Thanks.
Warm weather? I would drive to either SoCal and do some camping in the hills west of San Diego, Southeast Texas (Corpus Christie area) or there are some nice beach camping areas by Fort Meyers, Florida. Heck, there is Beach Camping in many places in Florida.

Anywhere else you cannot guarantee nice weather.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 40,862 times
There are some really nice areas in the south. Georgia has wonderful weather this time of year.

Atlanta is a really nice place.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Warm weather? I would drive to either SoCal and do some camping in the hills west of San Diego, Southeast Texas (Corpus Christie area) or there are some nice beach camping areas by Fort Meyers, Florida. Heck, there is Beach Camping in many places in Florida.

Anywhere else you cannot guarantee nice weather.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln-Continental View Post
There are some really nice areas in the south. Georgia has wonderful weather this time of year.

Atlanta is a really nice place.

Thank you Jays1983 and Lincoln-Continental! Most of your recommendations are places that we hadn't even considered. Do you know of any good RV parks to set-up in? We are looking for places that are known for friendly atmosphere as it would be lots of fun to meet fellow RV-ers.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:26 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,892 times
They used to be called Snowbirds, but they like to be called Winter Texans...They live down in the Rio Grande Valley from McAllen to South Padre Island...

Old 12-31-2009, 03:30 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,022 times
Do you have a Woodalls RV directory? Its a gem to have, and lists about every RV place in the country, Canada too, I think. Also tells you when theyre open, if they allow pets, etc.
We were in the "frozen north" for awhile with our rented RV, so relieved to head back south again. But first and foremost, get your hands on a Woodalls directory.
RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls

I'd say also try New Orleans, but the closest RV park we could find there was a 10 minute cab ride from the center of town. We ended up staying in hotels, b/c the RV park was so depressing we didnt want to stay there overnight. (It was on Chef Menteur Hwy). However, another closer one was due to open, so check your Woodalls!
You could also tour along the Gulf Coast, we stayed in a really neat park in Galveston, a few steps from the water. That was pre-Ike, but I imagine theyre still in business.
Have fun, snowbirds! Sorry, er, Winter Texans!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
Do you have a Woodalls RV directory? Its a gem to have, and lists about every RV place in the country, Canada too, I think. Also tells you when theyre open, if they allow pets, etc.
We were in the "frozen north" for awhile with our rented RV, so relieved to head back south again. But first and foremost, get your hands on a Woodalls directory.
RV Campgrounds, RV Camping, RV Rentals, RV Parks, RV Resorts - Woodalls

I'd say also try New Orleans, but the closest RV park we could find there was a 10 minute cab ride from the center of town. We ended up staying in hotels, b/c the RV park was so depressing we didnt want to stay there overnight. (It was on Chef Menteur Hwy). However, another closer one was due to open, so check your Woodalls!
You could also tour along the Gulf Coast, we stayed in a really neat park in Galveston, a few steps from the water. That was pre-Ike, but I imagine theyre still in business.
Have fun, snowbirds! Sorry, er, Winter Texans!
We appreciate the information for the Woodalls directory. Thank you. Like I said, we are new to this so this is very helpful. Not sure if we are ready to take on the title of Snowbirds... it has a connotation that we aren't ready to accept. We like to keep the delusion that we are younger than we really are. Also, we hope to employ the "Bago" throughout the seasons.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:52 PM

Oh, youre as young as you feel. Heck, my partner and I are in our mid 40's. I feel very lucky that we were able to do the RV thing 'cross your wonderful country. Hope to do it again one day. Forget Snowbirds then, how about 'spring chickens'?

No reason why you shouldnt enjoy the Bago year round. One other thing though..if you stop overnight, and it's dark when you arrive, leave the hose connection 'til daylight unless you have a flashlight. When we camped in Nashville, the park owner knocked on our door the next morning. He was really very patient about it, but apparently my partner had connected the blackwater hose to an outlet not meant for black water. It was in fact the freshwater connection. Oh boy.
Its getting off topic a bit I guess, but I do miss those 7 weeks!

Old 12-31-2009, 04:02 PM

We promise to be very careful with our hoses. So you are from Australia? Curious about your "outsider's" perspective... What were your favorite areas to visit in an RV?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM

Oh wow..We really enjoyed the roads less travelled, the so-called 'blue highways' of the nation. Despite the cold, we really loved the open fields of PA, around Lancaster way. Oh and Monument Valley, amazing. If you get to Utah, drive through Zion Natl Park, just gorgeous and incredible.
Petrified Forest CA, and also in CA, a former gold mining town called Calico. You can stay overnight in what's basically an outdoor museum, as the town itself looks how it would have back in the day.
And definitely head south, along Hwy 90 and the Gulf Coast.
That's it off the top of my head, will DM if anything more comes to mind, maybe you could do a google on some of the blue highways.
Once we have more time in the U.S, we'd like to spend the warmer months around CO, and I'd also like to see the mid-west. I'm flat country, prairie kinda gal, my partner's a mountain kinda guy, so we need to compromise a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha