U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2008, 07:25 PM

26,558 posts, read 47,304,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
So you're not allowed to live in certain areas if you're not gay? Or only certain areas if you are?
I didn't mean to spark political controversy. I only mentioned that facet of my life because here in the supposedly "liberal" Northeast I run into my fair share of nasty, mean-spirited people who are rather arrogant if they get the sense that my partner and I are indeed a couple. I was just hoping folks in Greater Omaha were educated enough to keep their nasty comments to themselves (and stares and whispers for that matter). I have no issue with Republicans or conservatives as long as they try to co-exist peacefully with me and show me the same respect that I try to show for them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 10:07 PM

3,330 posts, read 6,301,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I didn't mean to spark political controversy. I only mentioned that facet of my life because here in the supposedly "liberal" Northeast I run into my fair share of nasty, mean-spirited people who are rather arrogant if they get the sense that my partner and I are indeed a couple. I was just hoping folks in Greater Omaha were educated enough to keep their nasty comments to themselves (and stares and whispers for that matter). I have no issue with Republicans or conservatives as long as they try to co-exist peacefully with me and show me the same respect that I try to show for them.
Really don't know much about that all but it really depends. some will stare and some won't. West Omaha is the conservative side of the city as I explained before. It's also the Protestant Christian side, while East is Catholic Christian. South of Omaha is the same story as west suburbs, though to be honest, I live in one and I like it. West and South have a lot of good restaurants and retail areas. I'm kind of the guy to ask if you want to know about the suburbs. Good luck in your search Scranbarre.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,141,547 times
Being gay myself I can't say I've had any problems with people here. I'm out at my current job and last job and no one had a problem with it. I've found most people to be accepting. That said I don't ever leave this side of the city much, (or Downtown much) so I might be a bit jaded. I know many gay people that live all over the city but I find that us on the east side tend to be more open about it.

Even aside from the "gay bars" there are other places Downtown where it's not unusual to see same sex PDA. I've been on dates with guys and gone to dinner and there wasn't any discernable hostility from anyone. You say you're masculine and don't worry about being a target, I still wouldn't worry about it. There are drag queens that walk between all the bars and no one hassles them so it's pretty safe if that's a concern.

As far as accounting jobs I would check out Woodmen. They seemed to hire accountants but it wasn't a revolving door place either. First National Bank is big Downtown and will likely offer something along those lines career-wise. I used to work at Mutual of Omaha and some of their accounting jobs started on the scale. Lincoln Financial I hear gears lower too. That's not to say that you won't be able to find your desired salary range but I'm just not super familiar in your area.

As far as living Downtown, I can't recommend it enough. I live Downtown and I love it. (Hence my screen name ) If at all possible I would try like hell to get a job Downtown to because the convenience can't be beat. I also work down here and walk everywhere. I haven't had a car since I moved DT.

There are all sorts of places down here in different price ranges (from $350 a month studios to $2M top floor penthouses.) I've actually helped quite a few people on this site find places from out of town that want to live DT and plan on working DT. They are actually having a tour of many of the condo places down here next weekend. I plan on going like normal to take pictures so I can't post some here and you can see what some of the places look like.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me on the forum or you can send me a private message. I'd like to help in whatever way I can.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 36,019 times
I don't agree with the $300-$400K pricing. Certainly the builders who are still trying to sell inventory are not much into bargaining but there are many properties that have been sitting on the market for awhile and if you don't mind a little give and take, you can find a good price out there.

My wife and I just bought a Soma rowhouse this weekend for well under the cost of a new unit as a second residence. New models are going for $240,000 {$250,000 for those facing downtown like ours}. This is the smallest model there {listed at 1,312 sq ft but a bit smaller true usable space}. Another "used" place is on the market now at $219K. There are quite a few "used" places for sale so there must be a few motivated sellers in that group.

We also looked at places at Ford lofts and probably could have scored quite a deal there but we eventually decided we wanted more of a house feel versus an apartment feel. The Little Italy places are less than the $300K price range by a good ways - too far from downtown for my tastes but may be okay for you.

Good luck with your search. I can't believe how cool it is to live downtown and I've only done it for one weekend so far!!!

Last edited by bluesker; 05-05-2008 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 10:26 AM

12 posts, read 36,019 times
One last point = I believe this lull in sales is a short term phenomenon that will be looked back on a few years from now as a missed opportunity by many. Once the economy recovers a bit, the boom will return {IMHO}. With the baseball park a done deal, the pedestrian bridge almost complete and all of the other wonders of downtown, the empty nesters and young professionals will be coming down here in droves.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,998,745 times
Default ..

There are a lot in that 300k to 400k range, however, there are some in the 100k to 300k range too, DT has a range that even goes into the multi-million dollar range, the more you look the more likely you will find what your looking for.

The availability is also ever increasing in DT too, I wouldn't worry too much about finding your price range as its there, just waiting for you to look at

Old 05-20-2008, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was just hoping folks in Greater Omaha were educated enough to keep their nasty comments to themselves (and stares and whispers for that matter). I have no issue with Republicans or conservatives as long as they try to co-exist peacefully with me and show me the same respect that I try to show for them.
No, No they do not...unlike most of the people who posted, they probably don't know, but I do not show any affection to my partner in public for good reason.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 90,600 times
I don't mean to hijack this thread but you have mentioned that western omaha is a bit more conservative, what about the dundee area?

Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miranders4 View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but you have mentioned that western omaha is a bit more conservative, what about the dundee area?
Its on the liberal side.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snugintator View Post
No, No they do not...unlike most of the people who posted, they probably don't know, but I do not show any affection to my partner in public for good reason.
Are you even from Omaha? No one stares I'm a conservative and sure at first I would be a little.............................. surprised at first but then I get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha