U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,773 times

Advertisements

I am very excited about my decision to relocate to Omaha, I have heard great things and have enjoyed my stay. I am a Young Proffesional Getting the Idea of actually having GRASS and a Washer and Dryer (whole life I used Laudromats!) Couple of Questions
1. Crime, Riding the Subways mjy whole life I am used to it and have great Street Smarts. Someone said the Crime rate has gotten worse over the years True? or FALSE?

2. pROPERTY tAXES it cant be as bad as here can it!!!

3. WHAT DO SINGLE PEOPLE DO!!!! I like Bar Scene Live Music and Generally People watch/ Flirting....

4. Where to Buy a Lot and Build a House...I like Golf and/or a Lake view.

I will be working in La Vista and a Tempoaryly renting in Southwind Villas townhome. 12-18mos MAX!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,545,862 times
Working in LaVista, must either be in the hotel industry, payments industry, or securities.... welcome... I'm in Papillion your next door neighbor.

For the metro area you are coming to probably the lowest crime part of town (I think Papillion is lowest)... even our higher crime parts of town are still lower than the national average.

Property taxes are high, but remember the cost of housing is lower so net/net you might not be too bad.... this topic always sparks lots of discussion, but if you look at your overall cost of living here then I believe the benefits offset the higher tax and you still end up ahead. To understand the overall cost of living (with taxes included) take a look at this Cost of Living Calculator - you put in the salary and the two metro areas to compare.

Downtown Omaha is becoming lots more urban with more/more for a bar/music scene... look thru this link for some ideas: SLAM Omaha

If you want an urban enviornment for living I'd recommend talking to DTO_Luv about downtown Omaha.

If you want suburban living with the lot to build on and green grass, etc than stay close to where you work - there are many many options in the Papillion/LaVista area. Papillion has two golf courses with homes on them... there is also two small lakes (Walnut Creek lake and Shadow Lake) that both have homesites that will give you the water view.

Working in LaVista you can even go rural for a home. Check out some of the smaller towns like Ashland or even more rural and pick up a few acres out of town next to a farm.

Last edited by Dave1215; 05-07-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,707,550 times
And you can talk to me about west Omaha, I'd be happy to help. Welcome!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 11,773 times
Thanks so Much I will look into it. I am ready to go...GO BIG RED

Old 05-08-2008, 10:49 AM

226 posts, read 918,336 times
Again as far as property taxes go you will be much happier on the Iowa side. Council Bluffs has some nice suburban areas such as Twin Cities drive and the area over by the Mall of the Bluffs is nice too... Only a 5 mile drive from the Nebraska state line... Your average home price will be virtually the same but your property taxes will be 50% less, as well as your income taxes being less (you don't pay twice if you work in NE) and your gasoline taxes will be less too... And 5 minutes on I-80 East gets you into the heart of Omaha!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,819,541 times
Default ...

I live in West O! also, so I can answer many questions myself..

Old 05-09-2008, 09:13 AM

12 posts, read 48,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCiEtY's ReBel View Post
as well as your income taxes being less (you don't pay twice if you work in NE)
Living in Iowa has some financial merit but the above point is wrong. If you work in Nebraska, you pay Nebraska income tax on income earned in Nebraska and the only tax you pay in Iowa is on your intangibles income {interest, dividends, etc.}. This also holds true if you live in Nebraska and work in Iowa. There is no double tax. Yes, you need to file two tax returns {pain in the patoot} but you get a full credit for taxes paid in the other state on your domicile state return. I speak from experience.

Actually, the big TAX advantage to Iowa is in the death tax arena. Nebraska is not a good state to die in if you have a reasonable amount of assets. This is due to Nebraska's inheritance tax that is paid to the counties. Iowa doesn't have this tax so you are only going to pay death taxes if you have substantial wealth. Nebraska is one of only 11 states to continue to have an inheritance tax and it hits pretty much everyone. If you leave money to nieces and nephews or unrelated parties, it can be really substantial. However, money left to a lineal decendants doesn't get hit very hard so even this tax doesn't hit home too much for most.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:11 AM

226 posts, read 918,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesker View Post
Living in Iowa has some financial merit but the above point is wrong. If you work in Nebraska, you pay Nebraska income tax on income earned in Nebraska and the only tax you pay in Iowa is on your intangibles income {interest, dividends, etc.}
How are you saying my point is wrong when you are agreeing with me? I was stating that you do not pay income taxes twice to both states and you agree that Iowa gives you credit for what is paid into Nebraska's income tax system. Of course taxes on interest and dividends would go to Iowa because that is where the tax liability is if that is where you live. Same for the income tax that is withheld from ones paycheck, it is owed to Iowa since that is where you live, companies just pay it to Nebraska because their payroll dept. can't handle all the work of paying it to Iowa but either way the money will end up in Iowa if you properly file the right returns!

And income tax is less in Iowa (Low - 0.36%; High - 8.98%) than it is Nebraska ( Low - 2.56%; High - 6.84%) depending on which bracket you fall into! Since the high bracket in Nebraska is about 2% less than the high bracket in Iowa, a very wealthy person would be better off in Nebraska, but for us who live off of $15 - 30,000/yr, Iowa will tax your income less! (RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data)

Old 05-09-2008, 08:30 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,970,544 times
Focus on the OP's question please.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 26,436 times
If I were you I would try to live in downtown omaha, the commute is less than 30 minutes anywhere in the city. I grew up in West O (first 144th and Center and than 180th and Dodge) About a year and a half ago I moved to downtown and had the best time of my life. It is blowing up and there is so much to do there, you can enjoy a diverse city feel, but not deal with big city crime. You can get into a high rise condo for a pretty reasonable price or you can rent for dirt cheap compared to the rest of the country. I spent my last year in Omaha at the Old Market Lofts and you are within walking distance from everything you need except for a big grocery store. You can go to Cubbys or they just opened a newer grocery store too, but their prices are comparatively higher than a regular supermarket. The downtown bars are a little slower during the week than a bigger city, but offer a neighborhood feel which is really nice. They are hopping on the weekend. There are other areas you can find that will be packed Sunday-Thursday. I recently moved to Tampa in February and am relocating to Houston in 3 weeks, I have yet to find the culture and feel that Omaha offers. You should be very satisfied with your move. Omaha is booming and growing so fast and may be one of the country's best kept secrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or