U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,745,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I think Omaha smells better...for what it's worth.
kd, you are right

Sioux City isnt nicknamed Sewer City Iowa for nothing
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,652,025 times
I've been to Sioux City many many times and have many friends from the area. I currently live in Omaha, used to live in Lincoln, and grew up in a rural area, so I have a pretty broad range of experiences in that regard. I'm not trashing Sioux City, but there is no question I would urge you to move to Omaha. You can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 PM

53 posts, read 151,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
kd, you are right

Sioux City isnt nicknamed Sewer City Iowa for nothing
You guys aren't going to the right side of town. I lived in Sioux City for 25 years, but it was right across the river from North Sioux City. Over there they have the Interbake plant, if the wind was right we would get the great baking smells. Of course it's unfortunate for Sioux City that you have to drive past the wastewater treatment plant and the John Morrell plant when you are driving up I-29.

To reply to some of the comments that have already been posted, Omaha is a much better option if the job opportunity comes up here. Sioux City has some great aspects of being a smaller city. I would have to say that most people stay in Sioux City because of their families. The job market is not that great. Many people I know used to work in South Dakota, but with many of the layoffs there have now gotten jobs in LeMars or have relocated to larger cities.

The retail development has definitely improved in the last 5 years or so. There was a large (for Sioux City) development across from the Southern Hills Mall with many well known retailers. Housing is relatively inexpensive and there are some nice historic streets with great houses. Unfortunately Sioux City doesn't have a great downtown. Historic Fourth Street is interesting, but it is only two blocks. They are still working to improve this area, so hopefully there will be more development here.

It is really easy to get across town compared to Omaha, you can cross the entire city in less than 15 minutes and there is never a traffic issue.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,386,768 times
Sioux City has some nice areas...it's spread out... Unfortunately, I have trouble navigating Sioux City... The streets aren't laid out in the greatest fashion. Just an opinion.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:23 PM

475 posts, read 1,525,116 times
They have some REALLY good high school marching bands in South Dakota. They usually come to invitationals in Omaha and whoop up on the 'big city' schools.

So there's that.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:17 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,210,771 times
I would recommend Omaha more from a career and shopping standpoint. I would agree with prior posts with living on the South Dakota side if one moves to Sioux City, which is probably the best part of the tri-state area.

I have been to both cities on a number of occasions. Both on side trips and living in Vermillion for a few years, both were handier than living in Sioux Falls area currently. I think that that Omaha is similar in character to Sioux Falls, 160 miles to the north. But it is a more mature and bigger version of it. Both are progressive, strong in economy, and growing at healthy clips. Omaha proper is over 400,000, Sioux Falls proper is over 150,000, and Sioux City proper is over 80,000. Sioux City is not growing as quickly, but it has been making progress in recent years despite its setbacks with Gateway, Tyson, and MCI. Its retail offerings have expanded quite a bit in the past few years with Lakeport Commons, which has a Kohl's, Old Navy, newer Gordman's, along with a number of specialty stores and chain restaurants. It is better but will still be short of Omaha and Sioux Falls even, with Sioux Falls expected to have two outdoor shopping centers (within a mile of each other to go up on the opposite part of town from the Empire Mall).

I can remember Sioux City in the mid 1990s and was dirtier than it is now and the downtown at the time had vacant buildings and lots of open gaps. Sioux City went though some very very tough times in the 1970s and 1980s when a lot of its blue collar manufacturing force was layed off as many of its industries went overseas or left town. I can remember talk from others that the city was a depressed one in the 1980s. Compared to 15-20 years ago, Sioux City has made progress. The downtown there is more vibrant, although it still has aways to go to reach its full potential with lofts, shopping, and entertainment. It should partner up with Sioux Falls and Omaha on regional economic development ventures and everyone can benefit and feed off of each other. I think that Sioux Falls, Sioux City, and Omaha have bright futures, although things may not come quite as easily for Sioux City. Sioux City will need to work to diversify its economy to bring it on par with Sioux Falls and Omaha.

Both Sioux City and Omaha have their advantages and disadvantages. If I was given the choice at this given time between the two, I would choose Omaha.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,685 times
I have lived in Sioux City Iowa for several years (not my choice). I’ve lived in many places on the east and west coast and I’m an extensive traveler. With that said, one would only come to Sioux City Iowa if you were FORCED by employment requirements or other unavoidable circumstances. You would never relocate here because of living quality or the general area (nothing around expect small no-nothing towns).

Here are some of my issues:

-Near downtown there is a constant horrible smell from a packing plant and traveling north on the interstate into SC you are bombarded by sewage smell that almost makes one vomit.

-Sioux City’s crime rate is way above national average. I lived in several major cities and never had anything stolen until I came to Sioux City.

-SC is not scenic nor is the surrounding area.

-Boring place to live as far as activities, family or otherwise. Especially boring in the winter. Closest decent skiing is in the Black Hills South Dakota. Summer you have to travel far for any decent lake usage. Although the Missouri River is right here, it is an unpleasant body of water; small, fast current, unsafe to swim and useless for any enjoyable boating (same as Omaha).

-The city itself is dirty, old and run-down with no attractions.

-If you want to fly somewhere, you have to go to Omaha because the prices are so high at Sioux City airport. By the way the abbreviation for the Sioux City airport is SUX... how ironic!

*****I could go on and on. In short... LIVE IN OMAHA!

Last edited by DarkSide; 01-29-2009 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: font issues

Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 PM

464 posts, read 833,731 times
I had to fly out of Sioux City once when I lived there (for a year). I never did it again, I drove to Omaha instead.
The plane was a 12 seater, board from the cement runway type. It was the rockiest, bounciest, non smooth ride of my life. I go to the bigger airports for the bigger planes now.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 PM

12 posts, read 25,560 times
I've never lived in Sioux City but have spent a lot of time there the past few years. And honestly, I've never met one person who has flown out of Sioux City. I always get the impression that the locals never give it a second thought; they fly out of Omaha. But it's so tough for them being located between Omaha and Sioux Falls.

To be fair to Sioux City, there's not really anything they can do with the scenery. This entire region is void of anything spectacular. Outdoor recreation is pretty limited in this part of the country. It doesn't bother me too much though. However, I pretty much agree with everything else you stated. I can tolerate a few hours in Sioux City, but it sucks the life out of me beyond that.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM

25 posts, read 126,743 times
I lived in Sioux City for the most part of my life, born there, have family there, other than that, thats the only reason I go there.
Moved to Syracuse 2 yrs ago (husband was a field rep for Gateway). We moved back to S.C, Gateway got bought, started going down hill from there. So now we are in Colorado Springs. Beautiful here!

S.C has NO jobs, NO scenery (however some would say the area is pretty HA!). It does stink but only going past on the interstate, otherwise I never smelled it where I Lived on the N'side. Crime? I was never scared there or had anything happen to me. Graffiti is more often seen (SOOO DUMB, dont they have anything better to do?). Theres NOTHING to do in S.C at all. Theres Muskies, Explorers, and Bandits for sports (however I never went to these), hardly ever good concerts, have to go to Omaha for that. So if you want to shop & go out to eat, thats about it.

Omaha is much more diverse, more entertainment, you dont have to take a road trip to get to the airport....we are thinking of moving there so I can be closer to my son in S.C.

Gateway & MCI closing took so many jobs away in S.C, so people who used to make $70k/yr are making $8 an hr now at stream & alorica, wow way to go S.C for bringing in some new business so people HAVE to move away just to find something. I seriously dont see S.C getting out of their "rut" anytime soon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha