Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM

95 posts, read 77,055 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelors in social work an want to relocate to a place with low rent and many jobs.

Bonus if it has my interests: atheism, veganism and places for runners.
I'm black. Will this be a problem for employers there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 AM

149 posts, read 226,463 times
I can't speak to the abundance of social service jobs but can say with some certainty that Omaha has something to address all of your other key points. No, being black will not be a problem for employers. There are many trails throughout Omaha so I would say that aside from times where those have gotten covered in snow or ice they should be there for you. Something to keep in mind, though, is that it does get pretty cold here in the winter, though I do still see people out running and cycling even when it's cold, but i can imagine that would not be for everyone. I'm not sure what the 'atheism scene' looks like here, if there is such a thing.... As far as veganism there is a lot of great fresh produce here and lots of farmer's markets in-season with fresh grown organic goods.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post
I have a bachelors in social work an want to relocate to a place with low rent and many jobs.

Don't expect a job in social "work" to be waiting for you; Nebraska is a state with a strong "real work" ethic, where you will be expected to contribute to a process that produces things we want to buy with the fruits of honest (and sometimes demanding) labor.

At the bottom are the jobs in agriculture, most of them are mechanized, but be ready to show up with the sun, and work long hours in peak seasons.

(And agriculture, BTW, is exempted from overtime regulations, under Federal law, and in most states).

Next step up is food processing -- for the vast majority of us who don't subscribe to your vegan doctrines. Nobody's going to force you to work in a packing plant, but if yo're outvoted among your peers, please save your agenda for another time.

I moved to Nebraska as an "experiment" when I suddenly found myself unemployed,(property I managed was sold). I packed the car, drove into Omaha on a Sunday morning with no contacts whatsoever. Went to work as a temp on the following Thursday, found a real job within two weeks, and when the car died, got a pickup truck, and a job as a courier to go with it.

And the next is transportation; Nebraska is a fly-over state, but most of the things we buy and use aren't valuable enough to move by air; the game is trucking and railroading, and the pay is good, but the freight moves at any hour of day or night, and demands tend to peak between Thursday and Sunday; no party animals need apply.

There's a suprising amount of investment-related activity in Nebraska; it's the home of Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway. and the same rule applies to insurance. But don't expect to play by "Connecticut rules" -- you start out at the bottom of a large pyramid, it's a long way to the top, and an outspoken personality is not welcome.

And that leaves all the jobs on the fringes -- usually in retail; sooner or later. you'll probably find a place where you can fit in, but be prepared to stay there, or drift among similar situations, for the rest of your days.

I moved to Nebraska as an "experiment" when I suddenly found myself unemployed (property I managed was sold). I packed the car, drove into Omaha on a Sunday morning with no contacts whatsoever. Went to work as a temp on the following Thursday, found a real job within two weeks, and when the car died, got a pickup truck, and a better job as a courier to go with it. The only reasons I didn't stay was a better opportunity opening up "back home".

Sorry if you don't care for the choices to which the real world is likely to limit you.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-26-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-27-2017, 08:21 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianote93 View Post

Not sure what the job market is like for social workers in Omaha (and is it really good anywhere?) but in the urban part of the city you should fit in just fine.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:54 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,446 times
I recall seeing a posting on MeetUp of a group meeting for atheists, rationalists, and humanists. Also, I believe there is a Unitarian/Universalist church which often will have atheist members.

And, I'm sure that there will be Vegans somewhere in the city.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:21 PM

762 posts, read 1,750,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Don't expect a job in social "work" to be waiting for you; Nebraska is a state with a strong "real work" ethic, where you will be expected to contribute to a process that produces things we want to buy with the fruits of honest (and sometimes demanding) labor.
. . . Sorry if you don't care for the choices to which the real world is likely to limit you.
From your snarky response, it seems apparent that you do not actually understand what the OP meant by the term "social work!" You seem to have the impression that it's about having fun and partying ("social") on the job. Um, no. You know, it's something people get Masters degrees in. Ever hear of MSW? Or they are Licensed (LSW). Social workers usually work as counselors, therapists, advocates, etc., with the disadvantaged, disabled, senior citizens, etc., often for the government, humanitarian organizations, and non-profit employers. The OP is obviously looking for an opportunity to work for the greater good. So, your reply is way off-base!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: