Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,192,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Are you an alcoholic? If not, when did you choose not to be?

okay, so you never had to make a decision on whether you are gay or straight?

So, since you are an expert on the psychology of gay individuals, what would you offer to me for advice as to how I can change my mind and become straight?

I've really tried in the past, and I guess I was just too damn stupid to really see that I am straight, please enlighten me I would love to put an end to the intolerance I experience on a daily basis from people like yourself.. I can understand if your intolerant though, especially if you know the answers that can help all of us gay people to see the light and change our decision...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 03:18 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,611,664 times
Quote:
Nope. Men can't choose the color of their skin.

Come up with a real argument, will you?
Ok I'll take your bait.

I'm biracial. If you saw me you would think I was white with a tan or one of the brown races, but my mom is white and my dad is black.

So I actually do have the choice of picking my skin color on applications and things like that. Most people try to just tell me I'm black. Well I'm not because I'm just as much black as I am white. That's how I was born.

Just because Michael Jackson somehow went from having black skin to white skin doesn't make him white. He is black despite what his skin shows.

Now it's obvious that you don't think that being gay is as natural and is a choice. I will give it to you that a straight person may get curious and try something but that is not the same as wanting to be exclusive to the same gender emotinally and sexually is not the same thing.

I know plenty of gay people who would chose to be straight to avoid the ridicule of being who they are.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Great, now I'm going to have to throw science into this mess

This was posted on ScranBarre's profile by Toxic Cat

ScranBarre, you might find this link helpful.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4138245.ece
This is just a bit of it.
Scans find gays’ feminine side is in the brain

Scientists investigating human sexuality have found that the brains of homosexuals have structural and functional differences from those of “straight” people.
Lesbians appear to have a lower proportion of grey matter in their brains than straight women, giving their brains a more “male-like” structure.
The brains of gay men appear to have structural similarities to those of heterosexual women. They also exhibit the same powerful response as straight women to the sex hormones released in male sweat.
The research comes amid growing interest in how variations in brain structure are linked to human behaviour.

Happy? A real argument

Not really. This was a fairly recent study. Before we declare homosexuality normal behavior, I want to see more.

Having said that...we know that children of alcoholics are predisposed to a higher risk of alcoholism. Does that mean we should change our laws to give special exception to allow them to drink and drive? Does it make it socially acceptable for an alcoholic to be drunk every day?

In any event, no one has explained to me why homosexuals should be given special rights to change the definition of marriage. The idea of marrying for love is not a universal concept, and is fairly recent.

Is there a logical reason?

Look....outside of a few idiot rednecks, nobody is looking to persecute, bash, or insult people because of who they like to have sex with. Just live your life and let me live mine, ok?

Having parades to be "out there" and telling us you're "not going away" is actually kind of counter-productive. It makes you look militant...and like you want to force your views on us. Honestly? I currently work with gay people...and have in the past. I have considered them to be friends...and honestly don't much care what their preferences are. It is and was a non-issue.

Last edited by kdbrich; 06-18-2008 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-18-2008, 09:07 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,671,201 times
Quote:

Look....outside of a few idiot rednecks, nobody is looking to persecute, bash, or insult people because of who they like to have sex with.
Rednecks? Ok how about this

Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
what about these Wackos? Please note that this group is not even considered Christian.

or Matthew Shepard
Matthew Shepard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just a few of the examples

Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,611,664 times
Well you obviously can't come up with intelligible reason why same sex couples can't get married. You just keep throwing out the "Well what if people want to marry cats" nonsense.

Why should same sex couples be allowed to marry? Because like different sex couples they love each other, plan to be committed to each other, and want to make sure that their preferred partner will see the benefits of their work or insurance and that their partner will be able to make important decisions for them as any male/female couple would.

People opposing same sex marriage usually have some religious objection about it when in fact that should be a non-factor in making laws since we are supposed to have separation of church and state. From a clearly secular view there isn't any reason two people shouldn't be able to enter into a legal contract to be given rights and benefits granted by the government.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:42 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,192,137 times
Quote:
Not really. This was a fairly recent study. Before we declare homosexuality normal behavior, I want to see more.

Having said that...we know that children of alcoholics are predisposed to a higher risk of alcoholism. Does that mean we should change our laws to give special exception to allow them to drink and drive? Does it make it socially acceptable for an alcoholic to be drunk every day?

In any event, no one has explained to me why homosexuals should be given special rights to change the definition of marriage. The idea of marrying for love is not a universal concept, and is fairly recent.

Is there a logical reason?

Look....outside of a few idiot rednecks, nobody is looking to persecute, bash, or insult people because of who they like to have sex with. Just live your life and let me live mine, ok?

Having parades to be "out there" and telling us you're "not going away" is actually kind of counter-productive. It makes you look militant...and like you want to force your views on us. Honestly? I currently work with gay people...and have in the past. I have considered them to be friends...and honestly don't much care what their preferences are. It is and was a non-issue.

Wait, so your telling us to live our life, and for us to let you live yours?

Isn't that what we are asking of you?

And isn't signing petitions and trying everything you can to reason with any anti-gay issue militant?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:00 PM

Not sure what you mean. I'm not the one holding pride parades to celebrate my heterosexuality.

But if you're going to try to force your views on me, then yeah--I'll support a law that would defend the definition of marriage.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 12,884 times
Quote:
Nah...gay people adopt kids, too. Heck...many of them have kids before they decide they're gay.

As for us deciding to have our own day? Maybe we just don't care enough to celebrate our bedroom activities in a parade or "pride day".
I love this "us" vs "them" mentality. It's what made America great!

BTW, I have never celebrated my bedroom activities in a parade. I have, however, marched in several gay pride parades because I am proud of who I am. That is what it is all about...a celebration of PRIDE.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM

ya see....I just don't understand that. There are so many other things to define a person besides sexual preferences. It's just not that big of a deal. I don't much care about who you like to have sex with.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM

812 posts, read 2,304,081 times
Quote:
Nah...gay people adopt kids, too. Heck...many of them have kids before they decide they're gay.

As for us deciding to have our own day? Maybe we just don't care enough to celebrate our bedroom activities in a parade or "pride day".
I'm not a gay person, nor are you it seems by your post. If gay people want a parade it is their right and their business. A parade is hardly a celebration of bedroom activities. When I celebrate my anniversary I am not celebrating being a heterosexual or a bedroom activity. I'm celebrating a marriage and partnership to my husband. What they are doing is hardly a celebration of a bedroom activity. If you didn't know people were gay you'd probably like them. There is so much hate and anger for no reason because of this mind set. It's really unbecoming to the civilized world. Be nice please and respect people for who they are.

To those of you who are having the parade, good for you! Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha