U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM

240 posts, read 446,362 times

Advertisements

In fact, why do you even care if there is a parade?

You have stated you don't like going downtown anyway because of parking so you won't even see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 36,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
The idea of marriage has held up very well not only in this country, but around the world for thousands of years. I don't think it's wise to start changing it to suit a few people.
Oh, so do you think it was wise to change it to allow inter-racial marriage back in the 1960's?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I think it cheapens the standards when we start lowering the standards. With the state of marriage in America today, we need to strengthen the standards...not throw them away.

The idea of marriage has held up very well not only in this country, but around the world for thousands of years. I don't think it's wise to start changing it to suit a few people.

Once again, how does it affect your life?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,693,494 times
Quote:
I don't think we should go changing long-held standards because a vocal minority wants it.
so, all of the laws changed for the minorities shouldn't be changed?

Ok, well if that was how we did things, imagine how different this country would be, segregation would still exist, and perhaps even slavery.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:37 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,076,399 times
Issues of racial discrimination and slavery are humans rights issues. But thanks for the non-sequitur.

I don't think all gay people are evil, bad people (at least no worse than me), monsters, or anything. I'm sorry--it's just my conviction.

Go ahead and bash me now and show your intolerance. I'm sorry--I am just not going to change my opinion on it.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,194,688 times
THat's exactly what's going on is discrimination. We are being discriminated against when it comes to getting legal rights regarding marriage. I'm not going to bash you but you're just proving how the view point you hold on this is horribly flawed.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:41 PM

No. You're not. You're not getting your way and whining about it. You have as much right to marry as anyone else, but you want to do it in a way that's not allowed. It's no different than the man that may way 47 wives.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
No. You're not. You're not getting your way and whining about it. You have as much right to marry as anyone else, but you want to do it in a way that's not allowed. It's no different than the man that may way 47 wives.

Shouldn't laws reflect change as society changes?

i.e. Prohibition, Slavery...

Old 06-19-2008, 12:54 PM

yes and no. I don't see how murder and rape could be considered a good thing.

It's dangerous to set our laws according to the changing will of the masses. The founding fathers gave us freedom of speech...religion, and others. Those things should not change.

Other things..yes. But some things are not to be easily changed.

Marriage your way is not a constitutional right. Heck...marriage isn't even a constitutional right.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
yes and no. I don't see how murder and rape could be considered a good thing.

It's dangerous to set our laws according to the changing will of the masses. The founding fathers gave us freedom of speech...religion, and others. Those things should not change.

Other things..yes. But some things are not to be easily changed.

I agree with you that things don't change easily but I suspect you will have a George Wallace type moment later in life,
because in about 5-10 years, no matter what you or i think, gay marriage will be legal on a federal level and people will look at your current belief as really outdated and bigoted.

Society as a whole is shifting to believe that gay people should be allowed to marry as evident by all of the individual state arguments over the last few years and California this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha