U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 09:39 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,277,487 times

Advertisements

Not too bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:53 AM

475 posts, read 2,036,874 times
Thanks for your kind responses.

By the way... on the subject of crime rate... I wouldn't call it low... it's about average. The fact is, Omaha is segregated significantly, and there is a fairly high incidence of gang crime within it's inner city (much like much larger midwestern cities).

On the other hand, there are some central neighborhoods which are wonderfully integrated and benefit from a relatively low crime rate as well. Like most cities... the further out you drive from the core... the whiter it gets... until yes, in Omaha, it's almost 100% white.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:04 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,688,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Are there any lakes around Omaha (30-45 miles out or so) that a house can be bought ON or close by (walking distance) for less thatn 200,000?
We have several within the City, Lake Zorinsky in the South West, Carter Lake is in the East (though its an Iowan City because the river shifted a while back) and lake Cunningham in the North, though I'm not sure if they build houses there, I don't know the names of the other ones though. There are also plenty near the Small towns outside the city.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:05 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,483,762 times
I could live there and be very, very happy. To me, it's the perfect size for a city. Once cities get past a certain size, it's very difficult to maintain infrastructure and that "hometown" feel.

It's about average in crime rate, but you have to take in mind that the average crime rate is for the US as a whole, which includes rural areas as well. Most large cities average around a 500+ crime rating and Omaha is well under that.

Another good thing about Omaha's crime statistics is that it has gone down almost every year since 1999. Those are impressive statistics.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Thanks, that's pretty well how I feel as well... it's a great size city.

On the subject of lakes... here's a map to help illustrate...

http://www.hustonfamily.com/lakes.jpg (broken link)

Another nice amenity... Omaha has a 80 mile long paved trail system which connects most of these lakes... and with the new Missouri River spanning pedestrian bridge, the Omaha trail system will be connected to Council Bluffs' Wabash Trace Trail... which will literally allow you to bike all the way to Missouri !

Here's a nice site on Omaha's trail system: Omaha Trails | The Most Comprehensive Source for Trail Information in the City of Omaha | Home

I'll mention too that Omaha has 200 parks covering 8,300 acres.

The river is also a popular recreation spot... lots of boating: OmahaRiverFront.com :: Missouri River News, Development, Commerce, History and Boating Resources.

Here's another map showing current and planned dam sites for the metro... including an enormous 1,900 acre lake which would become a major recreation area.

http://www.hustonfamily.com/gallery/develop/97/pic1.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM

I've heard mention of Omaha's extensive trail system in other forums and discussions. It's impressive and speaks for good city planning and making the city more enjoyable for the residents.

I don't blame you for touting Omaha's finer points; the closer I look, the more I like.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM

I just went into google streetview for Omaha and did some cruising around. In addition to the extensive trail system, I noticed sidewalks everywhere. Perhaps Omaha should market itself as one of the most pedestrian friendly cities in the country? I was also impressive with the city having lots of hilly areas and trees.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM

15,421 posts, read 25,310,273 times
Wow, pretty impressed. Never thought much of Omaha besides trying to ignore all the bickering on here about it. But those are some nice photos and it looks like a pretty nice city overall with some really nice buildings and architecture.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:30 AM

Thanks.

On the subject of google's streetview... it's great that they chose Omaha as one of their first cities... however, it's rather sad, that they chose to skip virtually all of urban Omaha... outside of downtown. Hopefully they'll come back and complete the job!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,688,269 times
Really? On Google EARTH they have it in downtown and plenty of other cities too, almost all of the major ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or