U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What is your perception of the Omaha area?
A World Class metro area. 11 9.32%
It's a peachy keen little metro area. 28 23.73%
An average mid America metro area. 46 38.98%
An oversized cow town. 14 11.86%
Where is it? 13 11.02%
The citizens are over zealous when promoting their city. 25 21.19%
It's nothing more than a large suburb of Chicago. 5 4.24%
It's a creepy place filled with creepy people. 8 6.78%
It's Snoresville. 9 7.63%
It's Comaha. The city that always sleeps. 14 11.86%
Other 6 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 PM

8,986 posts, read 20,920,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
I'm not sure what the population of Knoxville is today. The city of Omaha has a population of 427,872 and the Omaha-Council Bluffs MSA is 829,890.

Although it almost seems larger than that with relatively nearby Lincoln (almost 300k)people commuting here for retail/entertainment/transportation amenities. There are 1.2 million people within a one hour radius.
Knoxville is smaller, 180k in the city and 700k in the metro area. But if you were to include the population living within a one-hour radius of Knoxville it would be about 1.4 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 PM

68,591 posts, read 57,229,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
To me it seems to be a very benign, average-sized middle america metro. The only thing I ever knew about Omaha was that Warren Buffet lives there, and there are corn fields. The boosters on this board seem to have a skewed opinion of how important Omaha is nationally. It's probably somewhere in the 20's or 30's in rank of importance in relation to other metro areas.
Cornfields? In the city? Maybe in a botanical garden. Omaha is a big city with all the problems and good things all big cities have.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:59 PM

3,302 posts, read 6,068,507 times
Who voted a world class city? no way

Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,420,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Who voted a world class city? no way
i did, but I'm kidding.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,918,330 times
Default ...

We are 'over-zealous' because of the fact that it consistantly ranks in the top 5 in the nation for pay vs cost of living, it has many things to do, great resteraunts, decent traffic, decent people, 3 schools within a 45 minute drive that have divison 1 sports (Creighton, UNO, UNL), 5 fortune 500 companies, 3 of the top architectural firms, something like 30 fortune 500 companies have offices here, we have a top IT research facility in the Kiewit's Scott Technology Campus which is on the UNO campus, great strategic location for communication companies, variety of jobs, stable economy, number 1 rated university academically in the midwest, a top school in the culinary arts in Metro community college, every public school system in the OMaha metro is tops, many university choices in the area, many convention centers and arena's that pull in top concerts and shows, #1 rated healthcare chain in alegent health, a world class medical research facility in UNMC, Offutt airforce base with stratcom which is the headquarters of many of the militaries top strategic facilities providing like 10,000 top military jobs, a great four season weather situation (for those who like that), many minor league sports teams and is at the size where pro teams look at you (OKC, Salt Lake City etc...), will be considered a metro of 1.2 million people in a very short while that is growing above the national rate, big houses and big yards are the norm, pulls in like 3 division 1 tournaments a year, PGA golf in the Cox Classic, more golf courses per capita than any mid-large city in america, higher population density than a very large percentage of american cities, constantly rated as a top city for music and the arts and much more..

If you rate it an average midwestern city or less, then you really don't know much about this city...

We are over-zealous because of what we know about it versus other good cities...

Then again, most people on this board voting knows nothing about the city, and the poll/thread starter is just stirring up the trolls and himself is a troll, and of course people like myself are getting riled up.. Because you toxic waste drinkers are getting on my nerves with all of this negativity garbage..

Many people on this board have a lot of growing up to do...

And just so you know, I will keep promoting this city, no matter what poll or thread you start, or what citizens from Omaha/Nebraska you convince that we live in an average-below average city.. You're just a troll that has nothing better to do than to irritate people on a message board..

Last edited by ehenningsen; 07-04-2008 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 PM

3,302 posts, read 6,068,507 times
Why even call Omaha names? Comaha? What are WILW? 6? And a creepy place with creepy people is just mean, so is Snoresville, but a suburb of Chicago? How stupid is that? It takes 8 hours to drive there, and we are definitly way more than a cow town.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:47 AM

867 posts, read 1,813,365 times
It will be interesting to see if the poll results change now that this is on the Omaha forum. Of course, since it was created for the General forum, most of the choices would not be selected by those here - for anyone who has even mildly positive feelings about Omaha, it will force a choice of "An average mid America metro area," "It's a peachy keen little metro area," or "A World Class metro area." I'm guessing the negative responses will probably not continue to increase. I'm also assuming that even those who feel most strongly about Omaha would not realistically consider it a "world class metro area".
(Note - I am not commenting negatively about Omaha - I'm just saying that I think the poll will look quite different based on its move to a different forum.)

Old 07-05-2008, 11:54 AM

210 posts, read 803,590 times
It's not a "world class" city. I would say that the only world class U.S cities are New York, L.A, San Fran, and Miami.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:45 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,918,330 times
Default ...

A world class city is a massive metropolitan area like NYC, LA, Chicago, Mexico City, Tokyo...

World class doesn't necessarily mean that it is a great place to live...

Omaha is not a world class city, it however, has great city properties...

I would've never included Omaha as a world class city, but I do consider Omaha as a top city to live... Even publishers like kiplingers, forbes, salary.com and etc are continually placing Omaha as a top 10 city to live, work, play, and build wealth.. So, with that said, it is a top city to live in, but not massive in size to be considered a world-class city..

Old 07-05-2008, 01:05 PM

3,996 posts, read 4,933,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Why even call Omaha names? Comaha? What are WILW? 6? And a creepy place with creepy people is just mean, so is Snoresville, but a suburb of Chicago? How stupid is that? It takes 8 hours to drive there, and we are definitly way more than a cow town.
Lighten up Francis. Ever heard the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha