U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your perception of the Omaha area?
A World Class metro area. 11 9.32%
It's a peachy keen little metro area. 28 23.73%
An average mid America metro area. 46 38.98%
An oversized cow town. 14 11.86%
Where is it? 13 11.02%
The citizens are over zealous when promoting their city. 25 21.19%
It's nothing more than a large suburb of Chicago. 5 4.24%
It's a creepy place filled with creepy people. 8 6.78%
It's Snoresville. 9 7.63%
It's Comaha. The city that always sleeps. 14 11.86%
Other 6 5.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 01:08 PM

5,717 posts, read 9,061,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
We are 'over-zealous' because of the fact that it consistantly ranks in the top 5 in the nation for pay vs cost of living, it has many things to do, great resteraunts, decent traffic, decent people, 3 schools within a 45 minute drive that have divison 1 sports (Creighton, UNO, UNL), 5 fortune 500 companies, 3 of the top architectural firms, something like 30 fortune 500 companies have offices here, we have a top IT research facility in the Kiewit's Scott Technology Campus which is on the UNO campus, great strategic location for communication companies, variety of jobs, stable economy, number 1 rated university academically in the midwest, a top school in the culinary arts in Metro community college, every public school system in the OMaha metro is tops, many university choices in the area, many convention centers and arena's that pull in top concerts and shows, #1 rated healthcare chain in alegent health, a world class medical research facility in UNMC, Offutt airforce base with stratcom which is the headquarters of many of the militaries top strategic facilities providing like 10,000 top military jobs, a great four season weather situation (for those who like that), many minor league sports teams and is at the size where pro teams look at you (OKC, Salt Lake City etc...), will be considered a metro of 1.2 million people in a very short while that is growing above the national rate, big houses and big yards are the norm, pulls in like 3 division 1 tournaments a year, PGA golf in the Cox Classic, more golf courses per capita than any mid-large city in america, higher population density than a very large percentage of american cities, constantly rated as a top city for music and the arts and much more..

If you rate it an average midwestern city or less, then you really don't know much about this city...

We are over-zealous because of what we know about it versus other good cities...

Then again, most people on this board voting knows nothing about the city, and the poll/thread starter is just stirring up the trolls and himself is a troll, and of course people like myself are getting riled up.. Because you toxic waste drinkers are getting on my nerves with all of this negativity garbage..

Many people on this board have a lot of growing up to do...

And just so you know, I will keep promoting this city, no matter what poll or thread you start, or what citizens from Omaha/Nebraska you convince that we live in an average-below average city.. You're just a troll that has nothing better to do than to irritate people on a message board..
Unfortunately much of the rest of the nation has a more objective view of your region including those of us that used to live there. It's an average small metro area, approaching mid sized status and still has a way to go before it can effectively compete with metro areas that exceed a million people. Sorry to be so harsh about this but it is the reality of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 01:51 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,813,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Unfortunately much of the rest of the nation has a more objective view of your region including those of us that used to live there. It's an average small metro area, approaching mid sized status and still has a way to go before it can effectively compete with metro areas that exceed a million people. Sorry to be so harsh about this but it is the reality of the situation.

Actually WCRACK, that is not the case and the reality you speak of is of another time, space.. Everything you mentioned here is completely untrue like Omaha being a small and approaching a mid-sized metro.. It is, in fact moving from mid to large at this point.. Still not gargantuan like a Dallas, Atlanta etc.. but a large metro none-of-the-less..

And competing? What are we competing for? Approval from trolls like yourself? Omaha is approaching 900,000 as a metro without lincoln and the time is very near when they do include Lincoln as it is only 25 minutes from the east end of lincoln to the southwest end of Omaha it will be approaching 1.2 million...

Your reality is rather odd in thinking that we can't compete with the large metros as we are pulling in mega corporate jobs that pay extremely well over places that you specifically speak of...

And, I am glad to know that we cannot compete for people with your 'reality' as it has no basis or fundamentals as to what a great city should have...

My reality is based off of
1. Education
2. Pay vs cost of living
3. Variety of industries
4. High-tech market
5. Music and art scene
6. Booming population
7. Top concerts and sporting events
8. Top health care research and facilities

Omaha excels in every one of those categories.. And your 'reality' says that Omaha has to be over a million... Maybe your 'reality' requires medication..

Old 07-05-2008, 01:55 PM

Actually I am a gnome. But enough about me. You people need to get back to reality and more important stop acting like babies. A few people come along and contradict your beliefs i.e facts about your area or don't share the same opinion as you and you get bent out of shape. Pathetic...

Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Actually I am a gnome. But enough about me. You people need to get back to reality and more important stop acting like babies. A few people come along and contradict your beliefs i.e facts about your area or don't share the same opinion as you and you get bent out of shape. Pathetic...

So the pot calls out the kettle... Grow up troll...

Old 07-05-2008, 03:26 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,690,173 times
When will this fighting ever end?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:41 PM

You need to grow up. Not everyone shares the same opinion about Omaha as you do.

829,000 is not close to 900,000. Bus service does not even run on holidays. It has two tall buildings. Unbiased outsiders clearly understand it is a growing small metro area that has some new culture and entertainment but it is not yet fully established to the point where it can compete with most metro areas in its own size class.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:09 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,690,173 times
Quote:
You need to grow up. Not everyone shares the same opinion about Omaha as you do.

829,000 is not close to 900,000. Bus service does not even run on holidays. It has two tall buildings. Unbiased outsiders clearly understand it is a growing small metro area that has some new culture and entertainment but it is not yet fully established to the point where it can compete with most metro areas in its own size class.
In its own size class? Are you saying we can't compete with Des Moines, Wichita, Tulsa etc.? Maybe I just don't understand what you meant.

Ok this is getting way too ridiculous, can you two please stop bickering?

Old 07-05-2008, 04:43 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,896 times
WILWRadio,

Umm, so what if people have a positive view of Omaha?? The fact that you don't is fine, but you're clearly just as obsessed about telling everyone how bad Omaha is as they are with telling everyone how great Omaha is.

You seem to be great at telling people everyone is entitled to their opinion unless their opinion contradicts yours.

Furthermore, 829,000 is very close to 900,000 especially when you considering there is a city (Lincoln) that is 250,000+ that is about 30 minutes away!

The criteria that you are using to define a "good" city is equally absurd and entirely superficial. You are using things like the number of "tall buildings" the city has to determine whether its a "good city." How about the type of jobs the city supplies? How about the diverse economic environment the city has? Des Moines and Wichita can't even begin to compete against Omaha's diverse economy.

I have been around the entire U.S. and the world and I chose to live in Omaha because I love it here...not because I had to. Its a city that is large enough to offer the same things as a larger city but small enough to avoid the problems associated to larger cities. No one said Omaha is New York or L.A. I would guess that no who lives in Omaha would want Omaha to be that type of city...that's why they're here.

But to somehow suggest that Omaha is a city that is inferior to Des Moines or Wichita is just absurd. And if you are unable to see the difference between Des Moines and Omaha then there is no reason to have this conversation because you clearly are not even attempting to be objective.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:54 PM

Go into any bank and see if they think 829,000 is even close to 900,000. That only works in the "New Math". You may be surprised at the answer you receive from the Teller or Branch Manager.:-)

I'd liken this issue to the "Emperor Has No Clothes". He thinks he's well dressed while the rest of the sheep just don't see what he sees. The Emperor now has a nice new scarf and perhaps a decent set of ear muffs but he's still not fully clothed and won't be for quite some time to come.

From day one when this discussion first started I never actually said that Omaha was an inferior city with inferior culture or entertainment. My point about the tall buildings was sarcasm. I've never even implied it was inferior to Dez Moinez or Wichita. If you can find a message where I EVER made such a claim please point it out to me. I've merely suggested it is not in the same class as larger metro areas and several people seem to take exception to that.

But I take issue when some people (not you) start posting that Omaha is a major city or World Class City and then start to dispense questionable advice to people simply because their perception of the region is that it is on par with large metro areas. Without naming name's a certain someone told a woman from New York City that plans to relocate to a city with good mass transit because she won't have a car that the bus service is fine and growing in Omaha. That may be well and good but I assure you that someone accustomed to the NYC mass transit system will be in for a rude awakening when she arrives in Omaha only to find most buses don't run at night or on the holidays.

I lived in Omaha and I found it to be nothing better or worse than any other metro area whose population is half a million to a million. Nothing special at all. Not bad mind you but nothing special. To me it was boring and likely still will be despite having a few new man made toys in the toy chest.

When I and a few others started to take a few pro Omaha people to task about their bold claims about Omaha seemingly being larger than life, we've been getting pissed on for simply not marching in lock step with the people that think it is something more than it really is. Anyone that gets insulted merely by someone suggesting that they consider Omaha to be a boring town obviously needs to get professional help. A certain someone in this thread did just that.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Go into any bank and see if they think 829,000 is even close to 900,000. That only works in the "New Math". You may be surprised at the answer you receive from the Teller or Branch Manager.:-)

I'd liken this issue to the "Emperor Has No Clothes". He thinks he's well dressed while the rest of the sheep just don't see what he sees. The Emperor now has a nice new scarf and perhaps a decent set of ear muffs but he's still not fully clothed and won't be for quite some time to come.

From day one when this discussion first started I never actually said that Omaha was an inferior city with inferior culture or entertainment. My point about the tall buildings was sarcasm. I've never even implied it was inferior to Dez Moinez or Wichita. If you can find a message where I EVER made such a claim please point it out to me. I've merely suggested it is not in the same class as larger metro areas and several people seem to take exception to that.

But I take issue when some people (not you) start posting that Omaha is a major city or World Class City and then start to dispense questionable advice to people simply because their perception of the region is that it is on par with large metro areas. Without naming name's a certain someone told a woman from New York City that plans to relocate to a city with good mass transit because she won't have a car that the bus service is fine and growing in Omaha. That may be well and good but I assure you that someone accustomed to the NYC mass transit system will be in for a rude awakening when she arrives in Omaha only to find most buses don't run at night or on the holidays.

I lived in Omaha and I found it to be nothing better or worse than any other metro area whose population is half a million to a million. Nothing special at all. Not bad mind you but nothing special. To me it was boring and likely still will be despite having a few new man made toys in the toy chest.

When I and a few others started to take a few pro Omaha people to task about their bold claims about Omaha seemingly being larger than life, we've been getting pissed on for simply not marching in lock step with the people that think it is something more than it really is. Anyone that gets insulted merely by someone suggesting that they consider Omaha to be a boring town obviously needs to get professional help. A certain someone in this thread did just that.

So why are you here? What brought you over here?

I have provided lots of facts about why we are a great city, and all you have to say is how average we are for a 'midwestern' small-city...

You have nothing but an opinion, you state no facts.. And here you are telling us how pathetic we are for presenting facts after you call Omaha a cow-town, an average midwestern small city with nothing to do..

And then when I respond with facts and opinions of major publications and organizations you call me pathetic? Dude, you have issues... Time for you to find a job that is equivalent to, but certainly not a telemarketing job...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or