U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2008, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,552,502 times
Reputation: 6217

Advertisements

Staci, come on now, you're talking about something that happened 100 years ago...
Guy4 said it best, there's culture it just isn't what your looking for. I too live in the Bay Area, but you won't find me at PLays or Museam's. Your Bay Area culture is different than mine.. I'm on the Delta, in the lakes, or the Sierra's. I don't drink wine or drive an import either, I'm a 4x4 driving, hunting and fishing type, so to each thier own huh....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2008, 06:16 PM
 
516 posts, read 1,210,415 times
Reputation: 120
So I would like to point out, for the record, that the original question in this forum was if a San Francisco resident would find a comparable lifestyle if she moved to Omaha. She was particularly interested in hearing from other California transplants.

From the responses of many others I have come to the conclusion that the intended raison d'etre of this forum is apparently to serve as a vehicle for pro-Omaha propaganda, and not as a instrument of discussion or exploration. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
872 posts, read 2,600,483 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
3. Don't even get me started about the anglo-centric exhibits at the Omaha history museum. Oy! The trains were cool though.
Are you referring to the Durham Western Heritage Museum? I wonder if the exhibits have changed since I visited with my students and on a class visit when taking my Diversity in Education course? At those times, the various exhibits in the permanent collection were an accurate portrayal of Omaha's history and heritage. Omaha was (and is) home to many immigrants. Over time, the immigrant groups have changed. In the past, European groups did make up a large part of the immigrant population; I know the museum has (or used to have?) an exhibit on the various immigrant groups. Even though some fit under the broad classification of "white," focus was paid to each separate group because the experiences in their home country, coming to America, or once living in Omaha may have been different. There are (or again were?) other exhibits pertaining to various other groups including the original residents of the area such as the Omaha Indians. If the museum's goal is to give a glimpse into Omaha's history, it seems to be meeting its goal. I believe that as Omaha continues to change and grow (and if residents/groups donate artifacts, photos, etc. reflecting experiences of historical significance) that the exhibits will be updated or expanded as well.

The museum used to offer city tours and I think another group used to offer downtown walking tours - not sure if either of these are still available, but they might be interesting for those wanting to learn more about Omaha in the past.

I don't think Omaha is as diverse as other places I have lived (which can be attributed to city size among other things) but I do think it is moving in that direction. I can certainly tell you that the Omaha of my grandparents' generation is not the Omaha of today. While I do have some issues with Omaha, I don't know if I would count lack of diversity as one because I have seen a change over time and I think it is continuing to evolve. My husband is Hispanic and I am white; I believe that years ago we might have encountered a problem with this, but never did while we lived there (and we do know other couples with the same "mix" who have experienced problems with this elsewhere). I taught at a school with a large number of Sudanese refugees and I feel that the community has been very welcoming to this segment of the population.

I am not usually one who jumps in to defend Omaha against everything because I do think some issues people bring up are valid points, but I do believe the museum does provide a fairly accurate window on Omaha's past and I also believe Omaha has made great strides regarding issues of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,552,502 times
Reputation: 6217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
So I would like to point out, for the record, that the original question in this forum was if a San Francisco resident would find a comparable lifestyle if she moved to Omaha. She was particularly interested in hearing from other California transplants.

.
Stacy, you are right.. my appologies,.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM
 
8 posts, read 21,374 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Guy 4 Omaha,

One of the reasons that there is less racial diversity in Omaha than in other places like Chicago (which also owes its growth to the meat packing industry) is that Omaha's citizens drove minorities out of town. One extreme example of this is the Greek race riots of 1909. There used to be a huge Greek Town in South Omaha, something which were it to exist today would be a huge tourist draw...and an example of (dare I cay it) a cultural experience. This is something that no longer exists because the white population of Omaha literally kicked the Greeks out of town. Sure, things like this happened in other places in America (I am from Detroit after all), but it illustrates that there is no such thing as "because not enough different ethnic groups have chosen to settle here yet" going on here. Learn your history dude. Of course more recently Omaha has welcomed diversity, but that doesn't take the place of a longstanding cultural tradition.
Stacy, I am aware of the greek riots in 1909. It was a sad 3 days in the city's history. I will cut you some slack and say that it has a little bearing in your perception of Omaha's lack of diversity. There are other events you could quote too. HOwever, the racial tensions that were the causes of that riot are a function of turn of the 20th century geo-political events. Omaha, like all cities of that time were experiencing the arrival of wave after wave of ethnic immigrant groups. The latter waves were displacing the earlier waves of immigrants by working for lower wages. In the Omaha Greeks' case, one tension point was that most of them were single men sending their paychecks back to their families in Greece. Thus displaced earlier immigrants here with families felt especially threatened. But this was happening everywhere in industrializing urban America. This is not why there is less racial diversity here today.

Again Omaha is a much younger city and is not on the in-migration super highway that has fueled the growth of many other cities.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
So fill me on on what is so special about culture in Omaha, that is different from elsewhere else? I'm dying to know. The strip malls and the suburbia? The white flight? The religious diversity? The steak houses and grills on every corner?
Yes, in fact our steakhouses, of which there used to be more, are one way that Omaha has been unique. And get this, even appreciated by some.

And what is wrong with Malls and Suburbia. Why can't cities have this type of development as well. Are you really advocating that only one or two neighborhood types or retail types are welcome. Hey everybody, if you live in a house that is less than 50 years old and has a yard, Stacy says we have to tear your neighborhood and hard work down. Only Stacy's vision is allowed. Now that's diversity don't you think.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Let me share an experience with you. The first day I set foot in Nebraska was the day that California legalized gay marriage. I was sitting in a restaurant eating breakfast and CNN was blasting over my head. There was an interview with the mayor of San Francisco (Gavin Newsom) on...and the guy sitting across from me stated, loud enough for the whole place to hear, that "we should just go to war against those damn f@gs; shoot to kill. That would solve the problem." So yeah, coming from San Francisco myself and not having even heard that particular insult since High School (over 15 years ago) I was shocked. Recounting this story right now has me just as angry.
Of course this guy was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
The difference is that bigots like this certainly exist in a more tolerent place like California, but they are less likely to open their mouths, so I don't have to deal with their crap.
Now Stacy, this one is the clincher. Read your comments again here. How is California a more tolerant place when there exists a climate where "they are less likely (afraid due to political correctness) to open their mouths."? Is that not the definition of intolerance?

This guy sitting across from you was immature, wrong for proposing certain actions, even more wrong if he really was serious about those actions and just plain stupid and selfish. However, not all people who have a different opinion than you are bigots. Freedom of speech and thought are still freedoms to cherish and protect in this U.S. of A.

If that guy could express himself in a civil way than he has every right to say he doesn't approve of gay marriage. And you and I should be tolerant of that.
When you say that "you don't want to have to deal with that crap", that sounds very much like intolerance. Be careful what you wish for. Today the opposition might be silenced. Tomorrow it might be you and your viewpoints that are silenced. And you might really have something to say that could make a critical difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
So yeah, culture shock certainly exists for me here. Sometimes because of the people I encounter (Gerta from Gerta's Bakery asked "what do you want" and looked at me like I was sprouting two heads when I went in there, and half of the customer service folks in this town won't talk to you), sometimes because the food tastes different than what I am used to (YOU try being a vegetarian in Omaha). Sometimes because you are looking for the counterculture and there does not appear to be one. Fine. Everyone's boat floats on a different tide.
The fact that you mention counterculture here and that people aren't talking to you says that maybe you also dress / makeup / hair etc. counterculture too. If that is so, I can see how Omaha, with her conservative Midwest traditions, might indeed a difficult place to receive an easy acceptance. Now if I am wrong here on this fashion thing, I apologize for reading too much into this.

But for now let's assume your alleged counterculture dress is "culture-shocking" the service industry folks and they are rejecting you because of it. First, wearing a great big, honking smile would disarm a lot of these folks. That won't work on everyone obviously. And I know that sounds naive. However, really does work surprisingly well. And in my experience, ... especially with midwestern folks.

So if I am not completely wrong (which I fear I probably am) here on what part of the problem is and people are not as accepting of your counterculture ways, remember that counterculture by definition is rejecting their ways.

So I would ask you, if people here are not very accepting, can also part of it be that you're not being very accepting or tolerant of their ways either. Your various comments throughout this thread have not seemed to be very accepting or tolerant to me. Maybe you didn't mean them this way but your comments have sounded arrogant and intolerant. If other people are interpreting your comments and body language this way, then its easy to see why things have been a struggle.

Coming on here and telling us how we suck, have no culture and what seems like every other negative thing does not make us want to run right out and say "Damn, we're glad you're here. Let me smile at you warmly while you punch me in the gut and insult my home."

If we can be generous and tolerant (of not just what is politically correct and easy to be tolerant of), the world (except for a few kooks) will flood with reciprocity back to us.

If you're having trouble with things here in Omaha, ask us for help. We'll help you find the people (however few they may be compared to San Francisco) who share your interests. If we don't know those people, we will find the people who do. And if you want, we can all enlighten and broaden viewpoints of each other.

You asked what is so special about the culture in Omaha. I would tell you that the best thing about Omaha culture is the people. Now that is not unique to Omaha. In this sense what is best about Omaha culture is what is best about every other culture. With a circle of good friends around you to share laughs, see things in a way you haven't before (just because we all see things differently), make some memories and heck mabe even stumble onto a new vegetarian dish you really like.

Yeah Omaha might or might not be the right place for you. But I really do suspect you can have a better time of it than you apparently have been so far. Seriously ask this group here for some help. Another forum is eomahaforums.com There's a crew over there too that could be the start also of finding a better Omaha experience for you. On the other forum, there are various groups that meet to go to concerts, festivals, sporting events and whatnot. Nothing formal but our cyber and real world do cross.

How about this. The Pedestrian Bridge downtown is having a preview opening next week. Everyone that can, meet there to meet each other and be a welcoming committee to Stacy. Some of us are awfully white so we might look pretty much alike but we can all wear pins or something that say "Fish Tacos" or something so we can identify each other. I know sounds dumb, but that's my specialty. Not much of a specialty I know, but its mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,691,475 times
Reputation: 1215
Quite the argument here.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 07:52 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,691,475 times
Reputation: 1215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
From the responses of many others I have come to the conclusion that the intended raison d'etre of this forum is apparently to serve as a vehicle for pro-Omaha propaganda, and not as a instrument of discussion or exploration. Sorry.
Well, I will gladly list the flaws of Omaha for you.

The black population of Omaha is mostly concentrated in the Northern areas, and there is a lot of Crime there but they are trying to change that.
Latinos are concentrated in the South end of the city and its not the best part of town either. We are far to suburban.

The pluses are that we are reviving our downtown with a lot of development and we are trying to revitalize old neighborhoods. We are (in most cases) friendly people. We have good schools and the process of diversification is starting to go into the suburbs, slowly but surely.

Oh, and as for your story about that man in the restaurant, I had a similar, though not to that scale, experience in San Francisco. I asked a man for directions and he smiled and asked where I was from. I said Nebraska and the smile turned to a frown and he called me a red neck and walked away. Every place has bad people like that but you can't let those bad people form your opinions about those places. The next person I asked was a lot more friendly and she wanted to know if I lived in Omaha because she had been there earlier in the month and said she had a nice time in it. When I told her about my experience with that man she just frowned and said some people are just un educated and rude like that.

I hope you enjoy Omaha, and find your fish tacos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2008, 11:49 PM
 
Location: City of Thorns
536 posts, read 1,946,238 times
Reputation: 272
Rep points for Guy!

Im going to be in Omaha next week, can't wait....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Maine
2,010 posts, read 2,702,407 times
Reputation: 2752
Abraham Lincoln said something to the effect that: "People are about as happy as they make their minds up to be."

No place can be perfect. Why not take the opportunity while you are there to check out different places? There's a great thread about favorite places in Omaha (Henry Doorly Zoo, Joslyn Art Museum). Have you checked out the restaurant thread? Lo Sole Mio is the best Italian restaurant I've ever experienced. You might enjoy Delice, at 12th and Howard. Old Market is a wonderful place to explore.

I should be more sympathetic to your frustration because I am stuck here in DC and you feel trapped in Omaha. But the people in Omaha are quite a bit kinder to new folks than the citizens of DC/northern VA, so you probably don't even know how easy you have it. It appears you already made up your mind about what Omaha would be like before you moved there, and you are determined to continue to see it in that light.

Last edited by Fern435; 09-07-2008 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Old Market is Omaha; Old Town is Alexandria, VA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
 
5 posts, read 18,731 times
Reputation: 11
Default Beautiful Loft Available in downtown Omaha

If you are interested in the Old Market(which I highly recommend), we have a loft that was originally going to be used for our family when visiting Omaha. My husband is from the area and his family is still there. Unfortunately due to school, work...we are not getting back to the Mid-West as often as we'd like, so we are going to either rent the loft or sell it. We are open to discussions. It is a very spacious/contemporary(hardwoods, original brick) 3 bedroom unit. Let me know if you are interested in having a look at it. You will love Omaha...very up-and-coming downtown area...lots of young, hip professionals.


Cheers,

tracymoore88@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top