U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:28 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,069,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
This was RFK Jr. talking about non-oil based solutions on CNN. It's pretty amazing the amount of wind/solar power in the US if the gov't. would start encouraging that kind of growth.

Kennedy:

I'm involved with a company called Better Place, which made a proposal a couple years ago to Israel to get Israel completely off of gasoline cars within three years. And Israel is going to do that. Within three years, they will be off of gasoline automobiles.
We can do that in this country, too, using shifting to electricity and electricity gives us a lot more versatility, it allows us to harness wind.

We have -- the Midwest this is the Saudi Arabia of wind. We have enough harnessable wind energy in North Dakota, Kansas and Texas combined to supply all the electrical needs of our country, even if every American were driving an electric car

We have the Scientific American just published a report that shows in 19 percent of the most barren desert lands in the desert Southwest, we have enough solar energy to provide all the electrical needs of our country. ...

I saw a show on the discovery channel about the idea of placing turbines underwater in rivers. It's basically like a windmill--but it harnesses the river currents. It's much more stable, as it's always running and never stops like wind would. That's exciting stuff. They're also experimenting with huge turbines in the Atlantic Ocean to harness the power of the ocean currents. That's more challenging, however, as the currents are stronger, and it has to deal with the salt water corroding the equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM

240 posts, read 446,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I saw a show on the discovery channel about the idea of placing turbines underwater in rivers. It's basically like a windmill--but it harnesses the river currents. It's much more stable, as it's always running and never stops like wind would. That's exciting stuff. They're also experimenting with huge turbines in the Atlantic Ocean to harness the power of the ocean currents. That's more challenging, however, as the currents are stronger, and it has to deal with the salt water corroding the equipment.

that is interesting. many skyscrapers in california have wind turbines and solar panels on the individual building, which essentially powers the building.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 PM

46 posts, read 127,344 times
The state of nebraska has some wind tourbines, but they dont have too many it would be nice if we had some more!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:30 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,526,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeeluver View Post
The state of nebraska has some wind tourbines, but they dont have too many it would be nice if we had some more!
Comes down to the distribution systems... Nebraska is so vast that you can place lots of turbines but once you collect the energy how do you get it distributed back into the commercial grid for sell?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 PM

475 posts, read 2,036,701 times
Apparently Iowa and Mid American Energy are figuring out how to do it. They have over 1,000 wind turbines... and in case you hadn't noticed them rolling down the interstate through town... they have many more on the way.

Meanwhile... OPPD continues to tout it's little generator out at the Valmont plant.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:24 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,160,881 times
South Dakota is working on giving incentives for companies to put in transmission lines to deliver the wind energy to points outside the state. This will help foster more growth. Most of the wind farms are going near the Minnesota border, which Minnesota is a leader in wind energy in the upper Midwest.

Onto the main topic of the thread. Gas costs impacted on going out to eat somewhat. I still go out to eat, but am thriftier and eat at places such as Culver's, Pizza Ranch, and other mid to lower priced places ($5-$10 per meal) as opposed to a $15-$20 per meal place. I eat at those types of places more on special occasions or as a treat. Pizza is a cheaper option and I have leftovers to eat (and not have to cook the following day) and is bought with a coupon or promotion.

I have been cooking a little more and it is handy. I cook enough to feed two or three people and have leftovers. Even with that, I hit the sales at the grocery stores. I like to bargain shop, which helps me cope with the higher costs.

Last edited by Chris19; 07-07-2008 at 05:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha