U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:47 PM

736 posts, read 1,664,834 times

Advertisements

Are the high gas prices effecting your restaurant nights?

We have cut back to 3 nights a month. Been grilling out on the a lot more.

How about you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:47 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,532,652 times
Not affected yet, but we are lucky that jobs are close to home so not highly affected yet.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 AM

475 posts, read 2,038,310 times
Not affected yet? It's not just the gas you're paying for... it's in the price of the goods you're buying. For better or for worse, there 'American way of life' will never be the same.

The rest of my family isn't getting it yet... but I'm dragging them there.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,077,112 times
I'm sure most folks were pretty sure the "American Way of Life" was over during the oil crisis of the 70's. It didn't stop 'em from buying 10 mpg SUV's in the 90's, though.

In time things will rebound. I can't say that there will be a huge SUV market in 10 years...but who knows?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 AM

In the 70's... we didn't have to compete with the Indians/Chinese to buy petroleum.

To anyone who has accumulated a considerable amount of debt... I suggest you stop spending... and start paying it off... because as the dollar continues to dwindle in buying power, that is going to become increasingly difficult to do.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:58 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,532,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
To anyone who has accumulated a considerable amount of debt... I suggest you stop spending... and start paying it off... because as the dollar continues to dwindle in buying power, that is going to become increasingly difficult to do.
Wise counsel no matter the current economic enviornment. High debt and living beyond one's means is a problem no matter how bad or healthy the economy is.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,077,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
In the 70's... we didn't have to compete with the Indians/Chinese to buy petroleum.

You are correct.

It would be nice to see us start to drill some more oil, but even if we do, it's a free market and we will end up selling what we drill to the highest bidder. That means that the Chinese will compete with us for it. The fact that it is drilled on our soil does not mean we get it cheap.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:11 PM

The Canadians are already creating a pipeline from Alberta to the Pacific coast in anticipation of their oil sands refining hitting full production. Gee, I wonder who's bankrolling that??

Actually, the answer is us of course. Every time we go to the retail store and buy virtually any product on the shelves ... we are... by way of all the inexpensive Chinese goods we have such an insatiable appetite for.

Feel proud America... you've almost single handedly built, from the ground up, a new powerful capitalist nation, the rival of your own... (most likely at our own expense however).

Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM

240 posts, read 446,406 times
Default Atl. Energy

This was RFK Jr. talking about non-oil based solutions on CNN. It's pretty amazing the amount of wind/solar power in the US if the gov't. would start encouraging that kind of growth.

Kennedy:

I'm involved with a company called Better Place, which made a proposal a couple years ago to Israel to get Israel completely off of gasoline cars within three years. And Israel is going to do that. Within three years, they will be off of gasoline automobiles.
We can do that in this country, too, using shifting to electricity and electricity gives us a lot more versatility, it allows us to harness wind.

We have -- the Midwest this is the Saudi Arabia of wind. We have enough harnessable wind energy in North Dakota, Kansas and Texas combined to supply all the electrical needs of our country, even if every American were driving an electric car

We have the Scientific American just published a report that shows in 19 percent of the most barren desert lands in the desert Southwest, we have enough solar energy to provide all the electrical needs of our country. ...

Old 07-07-2008, 02:55 PM

46 posts, read 127,418 times
Me and My faily Grill out almost every night because they love to play ay the park and be with their friends and With the gass prices i mean could it get any higher, but I do think the Economy will start to get better. Well i can only hope!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha