U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for your FAVORITE AREAS!!
Dundee (midtown) 6 28.57%
Benson 1 4.76%
Pappilion 5 23.81%
Downtown 10 47.62%
West Omaha 6 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM

475 posts, read 2,037,332 times

Advertisements

That would actually be southwest Omaha... of course west Omaha extends nearly to 'downtown' Bennington today... and you're still talking very far out west... there are many VERY nice neighborhoods between 156th and 72nd (the eastern extent of District 66)... in the Maple to I-80 corridor.

What price range are you looking in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM

46 posts, read 127,359 times
The 200,000 to 400,000 price range

Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM

And I know about West maple Because my mom lives in Hillsborough, that is a nice area as well

Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM

That is a pretty broad price range in this market.

Ask a realtor to show you homes in that price range in the Rockbrook, Loveland, Westchester, and Happy Hollow Hills neighborhoods in District 66 (possibly Regency, if there are some bargain priced homes on the market). District 66 gives you everything... great schools in Westside, many nearby amenities, Westroads, One Pacific Place, Countryside Village, Rockbrook... lots of parks... public pools... close to the trail system along the Papio... centrally located... drive straight into the core, or jump on 680 immediately to the west... and properties appreciate here like nowhere else... heck, if someone doesn't like your home, they'll still buy it...and just bulldoze it down to build a new McMansion in it's place (happening all the time in the area).

Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 PM

Ok thanks alot and Westside is a great school district i will deffinatly look into it

Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM

14 posts, read 48,863 times
Besides Star Gazers comments earlier no one has really mentioned Central Omaha.
I consider Central Omaha to be between 72nd and 114th streets.
Most people call it District 66 and yes I am going to attend Westside High School next year. Central Omaha is not as suburban-like as West Omaha, More condensed. The homes are nice and it isn't to far from Downtown, so you don't have to waste gas to drive to the pulse of Omaha.
Here in the Center we have many things, Westroads, Office Buildings, and what I call the "Omaha Strip" which is 72nd street from Dodge to Pacific. (Nebraska Furniture Mart etc...) Don't forget 80 Dodge also.
People move West to have good schools, less crime, and a family atmosphere.
All that is here in the heart of Omaha with even more things to do.
All I am saying is you could get the same and even better bang for your buck here in Central Omaha.

Personally when I have a decent job and if I am still living in Omaha, I would live downtown. But that's in many years when downtown will be even cooler. But if you want a family I'd say Dundee and farther west is the way to go.
Thanks and Good Luck.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM

Ok I have seen the homes in district 66 and They are Very nice and Not to high priced and there is soo much to do in the areas And thanks for the is next year your first yearin high school?? At westside i will be in 8 th grade so tell me how school is there Because i will be ging to high school soon and westside sounds great!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:33 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,047,092 times
Personally, I lived in Dundee for my high school career, and went to Central. I think I was far better off learning lessons of tolerance from such a diverse school rather than seperating myself from people from different backgrounds. And to be honest, I've spent time in West Omaha( in my mind it is from the Westroads on.) and it just seems so dead. Everywhere besides the big malls is relatively dead in terms of retail, with giant vacant parking lots and a bunch of seemingly dying businesses. Otherwise the endless housing developments feel like they have no individuality, and you can't see any buildings tall enough to stand out from blocks away, making it difficult to place yourself especially once the streets start loosing the easy-use grid-based system, and I really think it takes far too long to get most places in West O to Downtown, which is where I want the future of the city to be personally. I couldn't care less if we get another Bed Bath and Beyond.

What is there to do besides shop and see a movie?
You get so much more in Midtown and a heck of a lot more in Downtown. The only reason I hear people move out west is to escape crime, which doesn't help BTW. Crime can and does move. Sorry, for some reason I just can't stand to see West O put on such a high pedestal... this is all just my opinion and may be completely false.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:34 PM

What exactly does Midtown have to offer ? Unfortunately, the entire stretch of Omaha from 72nd to the river is lacking in retail. And I love a good highrise, but most people could care less about tall buildings. While the trend may change out of necessity with increasing gas/utility prices.. the average American, and Omahans fit the mold to a T... want the largest, newest home they can afford... nearby the schools/parks they think are the safest... the retail/entertainment amenities which meet their mainstream demand (that doesn't mean a corner hemp clothing store or indie theatre). While what midtown/downtown satisfies a niche demand... the average Omahan is left scratching their head at the lifestyle (outside of a periodic trip to the circus, basketball game, arts festival, etc).

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 AM

37 posts, read 252,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeeluver View Post
Are Pappilion Ralston, and Lavista all similar?? Dave1215 and TommyG you should be really Familiar with these areas!!
From what I've seen, Papillion and La Vista are alike in many ways. (I live in Papillion and work in La Vista, but I've only been here officially for 7 months.) I live so close to the Papio/La Vista city line (Giles Rd) that they seem like they're one and the same.

I don't know much about Ralston though, other than they really need to drop some cash on road repairs. They've got potholes and divots the size of bathtubs in places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha