U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2008, 02:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,973,593 times

Advertisements

After the people that come on here that tell us that Omaha isn't the city that New York, San Antonia, Atlanta, Phoenix, Miami and such are, as well as our very own citizens tell us that as a city we don't compete with them, why would I stay?

I think my love for the city may be from a false painted picture that I gave it, because I lived here when it was a hole in the 80's and because there is a lot of improvement doesn't meant that it is as good of a city as any of those..

Also, since our weather seems to be another topic to a lot of people that leave the city or come by here.. Am I fooling myself by thinking that I am okay with it, or is it just another thing I keep telling myself to keep me here..

The more I think about it, the more I want to go to a more complete city, it is apparent by people here and from other places that Omaha isn't as good of a place as say Austin, Miami, Pheonix or whatever..

I may have to move again to check out these other places out, because I don't want to be one of those that lives a lie that I tell myself for the rest of my life!

LOL
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 PM

46 posts, read 97,976 times
Well do you really Admire Omaha or are you Just trying too??

Old 07-08-2008, 02:17 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,015,401 times
Thanks for this reality check... I'm outta here... now just have to find the place to go.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM

3,327 posts, read 6,223,206 times
both of you now? Yes this is a good city, it has a lot, and so what about the weather? Don't let other people say what you should like and what you shouldn't. Just be you.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:20 PM

1,823 posts, read 3,439,514 times
Different strokes for different folks. Omaha seems to fit you very well and you are happy here, so stay. Those other cities fit those folks well and they like it there. If all we wanted to live in the same spot, it wouldn't work too well and sometimes the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

There is no perfect city, if a more complete city to you is one with more population, pro sports teams, bigger downtown, bigger mass transit, etc.. then I say yeah you need to check out bigger cities. But if Omaha has everything you want, then well, you're just wasting time thinking about another place.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:29 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Frankly it's disappointing to hear people on the national boards, they are often close-minded and think big=good and the larger the better. But the simplification of that is ridiculous and is frankly wrong. Omaha is a great place for more reasons than I can count, with far too few things against it. I try to fight for my city when itis unjustly talked down on, and I'm yelled at for over promoting. It really sickens me that people are so fast to shut people up in a public forum like this.

In response, it is good to see the world and decide what you like and dislike about other places, and see if Omaha or any other city fits your balance correctly. I went to Anaheim, Nashville, and Philadelphia with comparisons of Omaha in mind, and I've always been itching to be back home by the end of the week.
Fact is, Omaha fits me, and it fits most people in my opinion. I usually can change perseptions of a person I'm talking to in about three sentances if I'm conversing face to face. Usually it goes like this...

Person: I don't like Omaha.
Me: Really? Why?
Person: There's nothing to do.
Me: There's nothing to do anywhere. Every city is boring if you're just sitting there, not looking for something to do, and we got the Qwest Center, Old Market, SlowDown. Omaha has stuff to do if you look for it. And Omaha's got a lot of other good things too, like nice people and safe neighborhoods.
Person: Oh yeah... I guess so. Alright.

For some reason, that conversation doesn't translate well with most of the guys here.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 PM

2,583 posts, read 7,015,401 times
Well, bad news.... I looked around and couldn't find the ideal place to live, so guess I'll just stay hear.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Well, bad news.... I looked around and couldn't find the ideal place to live, so guess I'll just stay hear.
darn.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:00 PM

475 posts, read 1,581,050 times
There's actually a few other places I would like to live... but I don't think I could afford to maintain the same standard of living I have now, if I were to move. I guess that means I'm materialistic.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM

2,298 posts, read 2,169,387 times
It just depends on what you are looking for and what you are comparing it to. If you're comparing Omaha to smaller area towns such as Lincoln, then it is great- it in comparison has a lot of shopping, a lot more events, a lot more places to eat, etc. In that sense Omaha is a great place, very much the center of the region, the "place to be", so to speak. But if we widen the scope and compare it to what larger cities such as Chicago, Denver, Dallas, etc. have to offer, well then it won't stand up- nor would it be expected to since it's so much smaller. Those other cities have major professional sports, far more diversity with wide ranging ethnic restaurants/shops, much more shopping, more events going on at any given time, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha