U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 AM

695 posts, read 1,200,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
And I think you can find good, helpful people everywhere.

But I don't think that the majority of western nebraskans would be that kind to a black guy.

that is just my personal opinion from having grown up around those people my whole life.
That could be. I don't know.

I will say that all of us have to be careful not to assume that the way things were 25 years ago are the way they are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:21 AM

240 posts, read 446,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
That could be. I don't know.

I will say that all of us have to be careful not to assume that the way things were 25 years ago are the way they are today.
true. people have alot more access to outside information and opinions than when it was just the local newspaper and maybe the sunday edition of the world herald

Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM

2,585 posts, read 9,528,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
But I don't think that the majority of western nebraskans would be that kind to a black guy..
I have to disagree... I have a lot of dealings with both central and western nebraska and I think they would help - not as backwards as you want to believe - great people.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
Stacy from Cali,

Umm...that was my point! My point was that people's stereotypical idea of rural Nebraska is ridiculous and that it doesn't actually apply. How could you have missed that??

At any rate, I'm pretty appalled by some of the comments on here. As far as rural Nebraska goes, DTO may have nailed it pretty good when he basically stated it comes down to being out of your element.

Yes, someone who grew up on the east coast will be out of their element in rural Nebraska - as they would in any rural area. But a few of you on here are being extremely stereotypical and judgmental of Nebraska and I'm guessing you've probably not really spent much time there (DTO this isn't a reference to you).

I just find it ironic that you broadly paint rural Nebraskans as being uncivilized, close minded, and racist. I believe you are the one being close minded. As far as being civilized...what does that mean?? I grew up in rural Nebraska and saw no more racism than I do in any other place. Yes, there isn't much diversity, but that has nothing to do with racism...it has to do with socio-economics and the fact that minorities - until the recent influx of the Hispanic population - have not populated rural America.

I grew up in a town of 100 people, have a Ph.D., nearly have a law degree, have traveled the globe, given speeches at such place as Cambridge University, have sit down with 3 nobel prize winners and now currently live in Omaha, NE. Why exactly do you simply dismiss rural Nebraska as being filled with ignorant and out of touch people? People aren't "stuck" in rural Nebraska. For god's sake...how unbelievably pompous. People, like my parents, choose to live in rural Nebraska because they want to.

For claiming to be "progressive" many of the comments on here have been unbelievably exclusive and narrow and it really makes me want to vomit. I've lived in both worlds and enjoy both worlds, each for different reasons. But please don't presume to be superior because you live close to a freeway or a shopping mall...you are not.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 PM

Matt, I think we both know that a lot of people who label themselves progressive and liberal are anything but those two things. Some of them are openly hateful of and toward anybody who doesn't agree with them. And they're often far more intolerant than those they accuse of being intolerant.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,194 times
Being out of one's element likely has much to do with discomfort because of the different mores displayed. For me I had two culture shocks upon entering Nebraska...The first was that the motel clerk make fun of me and mocked my husband because I held the door open for him (my husband) and that is not how women are supposed to act. I found that simply horrifying. The second was that I had the fortune/misfortune of arriving in Nebraska on the day gay marriage became legal in Cali. I was at a family restaurant where they were showing Gavin Newsom on CNN being interviewed in front of City Hall. This dude across the restaurant began yelling at the TV that "we should just shoot all the gays and that would solve everything." What an ass.

Look, I'm from San Francisco and both of these incidents were deeply shocking to me. I'm sorry...but I guess i was sheltered and as an intro to Neb it was pretty scary. I almost turned around and went home (without my hubbie as it is his job that brought us here). Maybe these same people would have invited me to dinner and all that stuff, but so what? Culture shock is culture shock.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Being out of one's element likely has much to do with discomfort because of the different mores displayed. For me I had two culture shocks upon entering Nebraska...The first was that the motel clerk make fun of me and mocked my husband because I held the door open for him (my husband) and that is not how women are supposed to act. I found that simply horrifying. The second was that I had the fortune/misfortune of arriving in Nebraska on the day gay marriage became legal in Cali. I was at a family restaurant where they were showing Gavin Newsom on CNN being interviewed in front of City Hall. This dude across the restaurant began yelling at the TV that "we should just shoot all the gays and that would solve everything." What an ass.

Look, I'm from San Francisco and both of these incidents were deeply shocking to me. I'm sorry...but I guess i was sheltered and as an intro to Neb it was pretty scary. I almost turned around and went home (without my hubbie as it is his job that brought us here). Maybe these same people would have invited me to dinner and all that stuff, but so what? Culture shock is culture shock.
I think you're paranoid. Seriously.

And there's a heckuva lot more to these stories then you're letting on.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:53 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,690 times
Stacy,

My point is that you took two incidents to judge all of rural Nebraska!! Further, I have NEVER witnessed the "women don't hold doors for men" attitude in Nebraska. While I agree its a ridiculous comment it represents probably less than 1% of the population.

As far a the gay thing, well, I'm sure there are those in rural Nebraska that aren't exactly pro-gay marriage. But there will also be tons of people with that attitude throughout the U.S. - in fact, according to most independent polls, the majority of people in the U.S. still oppose it. There are racists and bigots in all of the U.S. You can't use a few instances to judge an entire population.

Further, I think it was "Todd," who repeatedly stated that the "majority of western Nebraskans" were racist. I mean give me a freaking break! I know thousands of "western Nebraskans" and the vast vast vast majority are absolutely NOT racist.

Again, as a disclaimer, I am "pro gay marriage" (or at least civil union) so don't assume I'm slanted the other way on the issue. I just happen to be pro rural America too!

I also don't consider myself necessarily a conservative either. I'm very conservative thinking on some issues (economics and military), but I'm very liberal thinking on other issues (social). I guess that makes me a free thinker...heaven forbid I don't simply latch on an issue because its labeled as the "progressive" stance or the "conservative" stance. I despise it when people call themselves "a" progressive or they call themselves "a" conservative. To me...that just means you don't think for yourself.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,162,423 times
There are a fair number of people in my generation, Generation Y, along with a fair number from Generation X, and a few from the Baby Boomer generation that do not care that much for the lifestyles of gay people and do not want it imposed on them, but on the other token treat gay people with respect and view the lifestyle of the person who is gay his or her personal business and would not outcast the group. The people have the same constitutional rights as us straight people and have a right to own a house, work, and live in peace. As for gay marriage, that is debatable. Marriage is between a man and woman (and should be left that way), but a civil union would be a better fit for gay people (although it will be a very tough sell in this part of the country).

People in rural Nebraska and South Dakota are conservative and some are very uncomfortable with the concept of people being gay. Although, I think that some, not all, take anti-gay fears too far. Coming from a small town, I can see where they are coming from and it is not a highly regarded practice in traditional norms. On the other hand, the gays are people too and should be respected with at least some dignity and respect. We should not bow down and worship them but we should not act as though they have leperacy or the plague. Hate is not the answer and is just as much of a sin if not more than being gay.

For gay people, their best best would be in Omaha or Lincoln and may be hit or miss elsewhere. They may have a tougher time in the smaller towns and conservative areas, but it may be hit or miss. Some areas are more tolerant than others. They would have it easier if they keep their lifestyles private, but would have a tougher time if they brag that they are gay and toot their horn too much. Just my two cents.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:10 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,203,925 times
For what it's worth...

Coming from rural Iowa in my younger days, I have to tell you there is plennnty of racism. I don't think anyone actually dislikes black people, but I know they dislike the whole "thug culture" that many younger generations of blacks display. They seem to look the other way when it's a white kid though, or just look at him like he's a dumb@ss.

Also, I think the racial comments and jokes are just too easy because they don't have to look over their shoulder to tell one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or