U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

13,920 posts, read 19,105,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Burgerflipper, your hostility towards this poor poster is seriously out of line. Why are you so defensive when you learn that the experiences of others do not mirror your own? Have you seriously never lived somewhere that you did not enjoy? I suppose if you have not there is no way for you to understand, but that does not fully explain your snide lack of empathy.

Personally I hate it here too...but y'all knew that!

If you don't like it, leave? What a horrible, childish thing to say! Unfortunately leaving is not always immediately possible. Believe me. Life happens.

Perhaps a more constructive approach would be to ask the poster what she misses most about Minn. and see if you can suggest anything she can do here that might alleviate her homesickness a bit. You know be FRIENDLY and WELCOMING instead of a bunch of defensive *******s.

Noe, I feel your pain having also moved here from somewhere much more culturally diverse. My quest (to alleviate my homesickness and boredom) has been to find restaurants that don't suck. I'm happy to report that today I actually tracked down good Korean food in Omaha! Yeah! Its the little things that count. (For all the curious out there its at 96th and L streets).

Actually the one classical station here bites. Don't get me started on NPR...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,207,166 times
Quote:
My quest (to alleviate my homesickness and boredom) has been to find restaurants that don't suck.
You do realize insulting one's hometown is basically a direct insult on their judgment and taste, right?

They suck? That's your opinion. Why can't you put a lid on your hostility and describe things as "not to your liking" rather than being insulting?

I have lived out of state for various periods of time. Yes, I've been to places not up to par with Omaha and I've been to places much more vibrant, as well.

You always preach about people keeping an open mind, maybe you should practice those words.

I'm sorry, I can't find a group of Somalis they can celebrate Muharram with.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
You do realize insulting one's hometown is basically a direct insult on their judgment and taste, right?

They suck? That's your opinion. Why can't you put a lid on your hostility and describe things as "not to your liking" rather than being insulting?
Geez dude, maybe its a failure to communicate, but where I'm from saying "things that don't suck" is just a way to say "things I like." So are you insulted by Korean food or what? Personally, I was pretty jazzed to find this place.

I think you missed the whole point of my post...and no I do not agree that my not enjoying living in Omaha has anything whatsoever to do with your judgment and taste. I DO however think that the way you treat other people has everything to do with your character.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 PM

17 posts, read 55,425 times
Quote:
Yeah, I hope one day we can attract huge refugee populations

Seriously, go back to Minn if you hate it hear so much. the notion that Omahan's don't travel is laughable and you sound like an idiot saying that.

If there were 2 million more poeple here then maybe Omaha could offer you some of the amenities you lack.

If you dont like it please leave, you sound like such a whiney baby. Your a parent, you should try to set a better example.

WOW!!!! I'm speechless... this is the kind of reaction that most people in Omaha have.... you are the kind of people that make Omaha suck.

I believe in knowing and accepting what you have and what you don't. I know Omaha is a small city. I knew that it doesn't have the lakes that MN has (I missed them a lot). I knew that there are no profesional sports. I knew all that before moving here. What I did not know was the kind of people you can find here. How hostile they can be. But I'll have to accept it (more like ignore it).

You know what your city has and doesn't have. Accept it.... laugh about the bad stuff... don't hate someone that says outloud what everyone knows.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Geez dude, maybe its a failure to communicate, but where I'm from saying "things that don't suck" is just a way to say "things I like." So are you insulted by Korean food or what? Personally, I was pretty jazzed to find this place.

I think you missed the whole point of my post...and no I do not agree that my not enjoying living in Omaha has anything whatsoever to do with your judgment and taste. I DO however think that the way you treat other people has everything to do with your character.
Yeah, ok, Stacy.

Hey, if the whole "stay at home wife" thing doesn't work out for ya, maybe you could become a psychologist since you seem to be able to judge a person's character off a few posts?

Ok, that was uncalled for, be really, you don't know me. I'm actually a decent person despite what you would like to believe.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:35 PM

And thanks Stacy from Cali. It's nice to have someone respect my opinion. And yes, we are trying to find places where we can have fun or where we can spend the day.

We are having trouble calling Omaha "home", but we are trying. Defenitely, people like burgerflipper don't make it easy.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noe_7kl View Post
And thanks Stacy from Cali. It's nice to have someone respect my opinion.
She was respecting your insults, obviously.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:38 PM

516 posts, read 1,210,707 times
Quote:
Yeah, ok, Stacy.

Hey, if the whole "stay at home wife" thing doesn't work out for ya, maybe you could become a psychologist since you seem to be able to judge a person's character off a few posts?

Ok, that was uncalled for, be really, you don't know me. I'm actually a decent person despite what you would like to believe.
Stay at home wife? Yeesh...I may be pregnant but I'm not barefoot or in the kitchen yet. And I have a job so that pretty much kills that prospect

I'm not saying you're not a decent person, but I hate it when people are mean over what really amount to misunderstandings.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:47 PM

Stacy, you have to quit taking the bait, lol. Clearly the last post was a joke as I could not possibly know what you do or dont do.

Anyway, I don't know how calling everyone in Omaha 'red necks' and suggesting how the lack of diversity somehow reflects the character of the people of Omaha would be a misunderstanding.

Simply, if you girls are not enjoying your stay here in Omaha just ask for suggestions. The multiple, multiple threads here we have done just that and would be glad to help.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM

I was not calling everyone in Omaha a redneck. It's just that I've met some people that make living in Omaha not agreable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or