Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 06:45 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
I'll tell you one thing collegiate and minor league sports are... they're inexpensive... and highly accessible (well, maybe not Nebraska football games). There's something to be said for that. Alot of 'big city' people I know... like to tout their cities major league franchises... but seldom go to games.
It's also hard to get into CU football games. Sometimes DU Gymnastics is even sold out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM

475 posts, read 2,231,371 times
Quote:
It's also hard to get into CU football games
I was just about to say "No kidding... the Bluejays haven't taken to the football field in probably half a century!"... then remembered you were from Colorado. I'm sure it's even harder to get into the CU game when Nebraska is in town.

Nebraskans LOVE volleyball... a game at the Qwest Center (where the record is held for the largest collegiate volleyball game crowd) is a sight to behold (and I'm not just talking about the big, energetic crowd ).

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 54,884 times
My family from DC loves it here in Omaha, they say we are a much cleaner and more fun city then DC by far.
That goes to show you something.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 49,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
There seems to be a horde of people telling me that Omaha is a nothing to do cow town and there is nothing to do..

Basically being an Omaha-advocate my whole life, I guess its time to find out what I am missing...

Please tell me what I am missing in my life that I can find elsewhere outside of here..
Sure, the biggest cities offer more particular cultural opportunities, but basically, anymore I feel "everywhere is the same" with the internet, and same chains of retail stores. It is just localized businesses, different geography/landscape, climate, regional architectural styles, and local culture, that set places apart anymore. As far as the "cowtown" comment, people must be talking culture-wise. So, what can you get in Chicago that you can't get in Omaha? Ballet? No. Opera? No. Plays? No. Symphony? No. Ball games? No. Is a Chicago Cubs game more exciting than a Omaha Royals game? Maybe. Maybe not. So, what are you totally missing out on? Now, can you surf in Omaha? No. But, can you snow sled in Huntington Beach? No (but you can go up into the snowy mountains an hour, or so, away). So, yes, places are different. But, yes, places are a lot the same anymore...

Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM

12 posts, read 61,699 times
I just found myself raving about living in Omaha to a friend living up in Vail, CO. I was mainly referring to the real-estate, he was lamenting on his $275,000 condo (really just an apartment). So I found myself describing what he could get for $275k here... BUT, he gets the mountains and we get tornadoes...

I've been negative about living here my whole life, but sometimes when you actually take stock of the positives you find the positives can, and normally do, outweigh the negatives.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
I was just about to say "No kidding... the Bluejays haven't taken to the football field in probably half a century!"... then remembered you were from Colorado. I'm sure it's even harder to get into the CU game when Nebraska is in town.

Nebraskans LOVE volleyball... a game at the Qwest Center (where the record is held for the largest collegiate volleyball game crowd) is a sight to behold (and I'm not just talking about the big, energetic crowd ).
My bad; I shold have said "University of Colorado". Yes, the Nebraska game is a highly anticipated event that is virtually ALWAYS sold out. We got to go once, b/c someone gave us their tickets they couldn't use. My daughter went once with a friend.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:36 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,004,193 times
For those asking about D1 sports in Omaha. Well, Lincoln is 45 minutes away. Omaha can claim the Huskers just as easily as Denver can claim CU (buffs) or Dallas can claim the Longhorns. Other than that there really is not a huge college presence in Omaha...other than CU (creighton) basketball and UNO Hockey. However, Omaha is often referred to as the amateur sports capital of the nation due to its huge draw for amateur sporting events (U.S. Swim trials, NCAA tourney - basketball, CWS, NCAA volleyball final four and etc.) and the simultaneous lack of a pro sports presence...a rather unique combination.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM

Actually, I live in Boulder County, where the Buffs get a lot more hype. But you are correct about Denver "claiming" the Buffs. However, Denver also has the Broncos.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:38 AM

12 posts, read 30,916 times
Default I live here

I live here currently and the is extremely little to do in downtown omaha it has to be one of the most baron downtowns ive ever been in. We are the 8th highest taxed state in the nation because we have no tourism and nobody wants to come here. The cops here get no real action like gangs and drug dealers so the lose there minds when it comes to little things like a seat belt violation they act like you punched a baby in the face. The nightlife is that of a retirement community and often bars are covered with wood paneling and the clubs are a joke if i wanted to listen to the radio i would stay home and listen to the radio and if anything is played that isnt the latest dance craze people act like it is the worst thing they ever heard. We are paying millions to keep a ball park here that we use once a year and thus we are going to take more parking out of downtown. And the solution to pay for it is to tax the few businesses down there even more because once a year they are going to make more money. And we still havent paid off the renovations at the old Stadium. The ncaa gets a huge amount of money off the top even before the stadium is paid for so we wont make money on it for years to come and thus taxes will be even higher here. The qwest center is a joke the whole mentality of if you build it they will come is crap because the city is not known for its cutting edge thinking on music or the arts. On top of it if you dont open an Italian restaurant or Steak house non chain restaurants die here. People here actually think olive garden is fine dining. Any other questions ill be right here to bad mouth this crap whole of a city. People want to have pride in a city be proud of austin or san fransisco or new york how about san antonio, tampa, Miami, seattle or an entire laundry list of other cities who try something that hasn't been done before. I know omaha now and its the worst city ive lived in in my life and ive lived in Johannesburg(at least they have tourism and culture).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
they remember the omaha of ten or twenty years ago, when it was just another average city, not without it's charm, but certainly without it's new life, and now Omaha is really a different place.
I've said this WAY too many times for you to not have heard this rant before.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:38 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,277,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by putz85 View Post
I live here currently and the is extremely little to do in downtown omaha it has to be one of the most baron downtowns ive ever been in. We are the 8th highest taxed state in the nation because we have no tourism and nobody wants to come here. The cops here get no real action like gangs and drug dealers so the lose there minds when it comes to little things like a seat belt violation they act like you punched a baby in the face. The nightlife is that of a retirement community and often bars are covered with wood paneling and the clubs are a joke if i wanted to listen to the radio i would stay home and listen to the radio and if anything is played that isnt the latest dance craze people act like it is the worst thing they ever heard. We are paying millions to keep a ball park here that we use once a year and thus we are going to take more parking out of downtown. And the solution to pay for it is to tax the few businesses down there even more because once a year they are going to make more money. And we still havent paid off the renovations at the old Stadium. The ncaa gets a huge amount of money off the top even before the stadium is paid for so we wont make money on it for years to come and thus taxes will be even higher here. The qwest center is a joke the whole mentality of if you build it they will come is crap because the city is not known for its cutting edge thinking on music or the arts. On top of it if you dont open an Italian restaurant or Steak house non chain restaurants die here. People here actually think olive garden is fine dining. Any other questions ill be right here to bad mouth this crap whole of a city. People want to have pride in a city be proud of austin or san fransisco or new york how about san antonio, tampa, Miami, seattle or an entire laundry list of other cities who try something that hasn't been done before. I know omaha now and its the worst city ive lived in in my life and ive lived in Johannesburg(at least they have tourism and culture).

you can disagree with me if that is the way you feel, but frankly I think anyone can look at a lot of good things and find what's wrong with them. You could go anywhere and do that. Maybe the clubs and the atmosphere here don't fit you. Maybe you don't like low crime rates, maybe you don't like to see a city hold onto one of it's oldest traditions, then Omaha isn't for you. Hell, I don't think Omaha want's people like this, who only blatantly overlook the good in a place so they can slam down on those with civic pride. Tourists do come here. and they almost always praise the city in ridiculous numbers. There are high class resteraunts in town that get business. Ever heard of the Flat Iron? The Qwest Center did get a lot of big name productions that suprised people and brought in a whole range of tourists.
Omaha is not without it's flaws. I know this, but it is not even a mediocre place in my opinion, and it only is in yours because you choose to view it with a blindfold on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha