Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:02 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
For what it's worth...

Coming from rural Iowa in my younger days, I have to tell you there is plennnty of racism. I don't think anyone actually dislikes black people, but I know they dislike the whole "thug culture" that many younger generations of blacks display. They seem to look the other way when it's a white kid though, or just look at him like he's a dumb@ss.

Also, I think the racial comments and jokes are just too easy because they don't have to look over their shoulder to tell one.
Man, ain't that the truth. Greasy white kids trying to look and act like black thugs. Funny thing is, a lot of the black kids that enjoy that look aren't thugs at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 62,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
I'll play along. The Minneapolis area has:

* 18 Fortune 500 companies (31 Fortune 1000 companies total).

* Some of the largest private companies in the country

* MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, WNBA, NLL, and WPFL. There's also also minor league baseball, plenty of DI sports and of course, roller girls.

* Lakes

* Excellent music scene; local, national and international

* Two skylines

* Transit

* One of the largest college populations (public and private) in the country at over 100,000.

* Nicollet Mall

* Miles and miles of bike lanes

* Radio stations that play REAL music (ex. 89.3 the Current and 90.3 KFAI)

* Largest urban, Native American population in the country

* Largest Somali population in the country

* Largest Hmong population in the country

* Largest Oromo population in the country

* Second largest Liberian population in the country

* Second largest Tibetan population in the country

* Hundreds of thousands of people that could care less about zoos.

I'm already bored with this game. I'm sure someone from a different city/metro is more than willing to play.

Thanks!!! Someone that understands!!!!

The thing about Omaha that bothers me is that there is no variety. Not in people, restaurants, culture, sports, anything.

When we moved here I thought that it was going to be like the Twin Cities just with less people. But it isn't. The Twin Cities got a large population of refugees from different countries, not because of its weather but because the people were welcoming. They welcome change. In Omaha I (from a different country) do not feel welcomed.

I do enjoy the commute my husband has to work: 5 min. I like the school my daughter is attending. I like my husbands job.

So... we travel. We try to go out of Nebraska. Most of the people from here do not see why they would want to see something different and see us weird when we tell them we like to travel. But you know... try to live your life and don't care what red necks think .

Old 01-22-2009, 11:12 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
I don't doubt it happening but what how do people treat you differently with being from another country? I'm genuinely curious?

Old 01-22-2009, 11:14 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noe_7kl View Post
The thing about Omaha that bothers me is that there is no variety. Not in people, restaurants, culture, sports, anything..
Take it from someone who ended up moving from Omaha to more "variety" in Tampa...it's all overrated.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:08 PM

17 posts, read 62,636 times
Ok. I speak Spanish. I have two daughters and they speak Spanish too. In the TC, people would approach me to congratulate me in teaching my daughters another language. In Omaha, when people hear me speak Spanish, they avoid me, move as far as they can.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:27 PM

61 posts, read 183,256 times
* 18 Fortune 500 companies (31 Fortune 1000 companies total).
* Some of the largest private companies in the country
* MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, WNBA, NLL, and WPFL. There's also also minor league baseball, plenty of DI sports and of course, roller girls.
* Lakes
* Excellent music scene; local, national and international
* Two skylines
* Transit
* One of the largest college populations (public and private) in the country at over 100,000.
* Nicollet Mall
* Miles and miles of bike lanes
* Radio stations that play REAL music (ex. 89.3 the Current and 90.3 KFAI)
* Largest urban, Native American population in the country
* Largest Somali population in the country
* Largest Hmong population in the country
* Largest Oromo population in the country
* Second largest Liberian population in the country
* Second largest Tibetan population in the country
* Hundreds of thousands of people that could care less about zoos.

I dont care about tall buildings full of douchely bussiness men, I'm sure they are more cultured than anyone, just like I dont care that Omaha has "six fiber optic networks that converge here" I don't even know what that means. If I like a sports team i'll travel to see them, its more exciting anyway. We sell like 55,000 season tickets to the Huskers with holders in 49 states including yours amazingly. We have great colleges to and there is also people that go to them, most college kids are tools anyway, especially frat guys, they have tons of culture. I can fish too :O. I can ride a bike too :O so culturific! We have great classic, oldie and modern music stations, and even a CLASSICAL station! :O We have more local shows than you can go to and plenty of national acts play at over CONVENTION center :O Transportation?!?!? NO WAY! And I'd be willing to bet you actually know a Native American, Somali, Hmong, Oromo, Liberian, and Tibetan person too! I never go to the zoo.

What will you say next that you have more Wal-Marts than anywhere on earth? And I bet you've even drank some African coffee at STARBUCKS!

If you want culture read a book, go to the opera, go to a record store, go to your arthouse theatre, get political, travel.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Thanks!!! Someone that understands!!!!

The thing about Omaha that bothers me is that there is no variety. Not in people, restaurants, culture, sports, anything.

When we moved here I thought that it was going to be like the Twin Cities just with less people. But it isn't. The Twin Cities got a large population of refugees from different countries, not because of its weather but because the people were welcoming. They welcome change. In Omaha I (from a different country) do not feel welcomed.

I do enjoy the commute my husband has to work: 5 min. I like the school my daughter is attending. I like my husbands job.

So... we travel. We try to go out of Nebraska. Most of the people from here do not see why they would want to see something different and see us weird when we tell them we like to travel. But you know... try to live your life and don't care what red necks think .
Yeah, I hope one day we can attract huge refugee populations

Seriously, go back to Minn if you hate it hear so much. the notion that Omahan's don't travel is laughable and you sound like an idiot saying that.

If there were 2 million more poeple here then maybe Omaha could offer you some of the amenities you lack.

If you dont like it please leave, you sound like such a whiney baby. Your a parent, you should try to set a better example.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:36 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Ok. I speak Spanish. I have two daughters and they speak Spanish too. In the TC, people would approach me to congratulate me in teaching my daughters another language. In Omaha, when people hear me speak Spanish, they avoid me, move as far as they can.
Yay, you speak Spanish. Who cares? Seriously, who really cares? I know plenty of poeple who speak Spanish and never feel the need to brag or beg for validation on how great they are because they know Spanish.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:42 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
Quote:
I know many people that speak spanish and don't know anyone who would avoid them or go away from them. There are tons of spanish speaking people here and many immigrants from Mexico and other latin countries.

Omaha is also the largest non-US/Mex. border city to have a Mexican Consulate. Omaha is also a large focus market for spanish speaking television and the only one outside of the southwest US.

Where were you when this has happened?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,377 times
Burgerflipper, your hostility towards this poor poster is seriously out of line. Why are you so defensive when you learn that the experiences of others do not mirror your own? Have you seriously never lived somewhere that you did not enjoy? I suppose if you have not there is no way for you to understand, but that does not fully explain your snide lack of empathy.

Personally I hate it here too...but y'all knew that!

If you don't like it, leave? What a horrible, childish thing to say! Unfortunately leaving is not always immediately possible. Believe me. Life happens.

Perhaps a more constructive approach would be to ask the poster what she misses most about Minn. and see if you can suggest anything she can do here that might alleviate her homesickness a bit. You know be FRIENDLY and WELCOMING instead of a bunch of defensive *******s.

Noe, I feel your pain having also moved here from somewhere much more culturally diverse. My quest (to alleviate my homesickness and boredom) has been to find restaurants that don't suck. I'm happy to report that today I actually tracked down good Korean food in Omaha! Yeah! Its the little things that count. (For all the curious out there its at 96th and L streets).

Actually the one classical station here bites. Don't get me started on NPR...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha