U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:47 AM

1,119 posts, read 3,814,435 times

Advertisements

but you see... these people dont "have" to go into a smoking bar or restaurant.... it should be up to the owners.... I guess anti-liberalism is about taking freedom away then??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 11:04 AM

475 posts, read 2,037,941 times
While I hate smokey bars/restaurants myself (and thus fully support the smoking ban)... I've always welcomed this ban as much for it's making life difficult for smokers, as anything. These people are not only producing annoying second hand smoke... they're driving up -my- health/insurance costs. Smoke only businesses?? No way! And let's raise the cigarette tax another 50% while we're talking about it.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,194,400 times
That's a lot of propaganda. Smokers aren't the sole reason, or even a large part of the reason, health care/insurance costs are going up. I work in the health care/insurance industry for Medicare so I'm pretty familiar with what I see claims come in for.

If you want to blame a group that has a certain vice set your cross-hairs on the obese. More people throw down Twinkies than light up a smoke. Poor diet and lack of excercise are a MUCH bigger factor in rising insurance/health care costs than smoking.

A non-smoker who is 75+ lbs. overweight is at a higher health risk than an occasional smoker in moderate physical condition

If you took a group of 10 people 2 would smoke, while 6-7 would be obese. The numbers alone show that it's not smokers who drive up health care costs. So before you jump all over the smoker next to you at a retaurant tell Joe ****** at the other table to skip dessert and run a few laps.

I was very much against the smoking ban here. It takes away people's right to chose. Smoking isn't nearly as dangerous to your personal health OR OTHER PEOPLE'S HEALTH as drinking. You're more likely to get hit and killed by a drunk driver than you ever would die of second hand smoke. Also with as much medical and legal documentation I see in a day I've never heard or seen ANYONE dying of second hand smoke.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM

1,394 posts, read 3,923,380 times
Hi everyone, I just wanted to put my .02 cents worth in, I live in Minnesota, they have also gotten very tough on no smoking laws, to the fact of raising the cost per pack, had to go to Iowa for smokes, it was a lot cheaper.
They are taking so much of our freedom away, that my husband and I have both quit smoking as of the 1st of the new year, it has been very tough, I started when I was 17 and I am going to be 48 on Sunday, and my husband has smoked at least seven to ten years longer then I have.
We know that it will get even worse with the cost of cigarettes and with making it tougher on where you can smoke, so I guess if we can keep on going, and trying to maintain our weight in the process, we hope it all pans out in the end. I can see both sides of it, and by no means should anyone cut down a smoker, it is one of the worst addictions that is out there, and I think smokers need more support to help them quit, and not people cutting them down because they can't. I am glad that I have been able to last for as long as I have, and I hope that I can continue to stay smoke free. Sorry to go on and babble, but I think smokers need a break.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
If you want to blame a group that has a certain vice set your cross-hairs on the obese. More people throw down Twinkies than light up a smoke. Poor diet and lack of excercise are a MUCH bigger factor in rising insurance/health care costs than smoking.
Oh, I agree entirely D'Shawn. But the thing is, fat people don't tend to bug me when they do 'their thing'... the way smokers do. I'll tell you what though... once we've abolished smoking entirely... I'll lobby my representatives to start putting more heat on those people as well.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:20 PM

Default .....

that sounds like something Bush would say... "I'm the decider"
I want to go to 1 of 10000 steakhouses, but they allow smoking while the 3000 dont are just as good, and Im going to complain to the legislature so I can have it "my" way, and "I" want to make that decision for that owner of the resteraunt/bar.. sounds like the same people that lobbied for the removal of the ten commandment tablets off of public ground...

I know, Im going to lobby to the legislature that big red keno and some of these other bar and grills to quit serving alcohol when I am eating there because I dont like the smell of alcohol and that it gets noisy sometimes because of them dumb drunks and my chances of getting a drink spilled on me ruining my sweater goes up as well as my chance of getting into a fight there goes way up and also getting hit by a car by a drunk driver goes way up...

Come to think of it, while we are at it, we should be more like Texas and have cops go undercover into bars and dance clubs and arrest people for intoxication even if they were not going to drive themselves home... Wow I am really loving this conservative way of thinking, but gosh dear me, I am an anti-christ liberal because I believe in the freedoms of everyone and not just the bible-beaters and rich people....

Last edited by ehenningsen; 02-07-2007 at 02:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Actually, I'm probably more liberal in most instances... than you are. It just happens where health is concerned ... I don't mind forcing my own biased position on others.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 AM

Default sorry...

I have no idea what has gotten over me...
I have been a real a** when someone says something that I disagree with
you have every right to your opinion stargazer....
I wish I knew how to not blow up like that...
Once again I apologize....

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Actually, I'm probably more liberal in most instances... than you are. It just happens where health is concerned ... I don't mind forcing my own biased position on others.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
Wink Re :

Hi friend'
Please help the society by eradicating addition. Join the chat room [url=http://apps.facebook.com/chat_fb_app]Login | Facebook[/url] and encourage addicted people to join the facebook chat room application.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,490,451 times
Hey folks...I am a smoker, got started in school with peer pressure. I know that not everyone falls into stupidity because they want to fit in. BUT I did, I'm addicted and I HATE SMOKING, I have tried the pills, the patches, the gum and hypnotisim, and cold turkey. I know I smell aweful, I am very much aware of that. I know my house, pets, drapes. carpets, bedding and everything screams out loud "WE SMOKE" I turn into a stark raving shrew when I've tried to stop. I don't even like to live with me. BUT I also support the ban, you are correct in my right to smoke should not make you smell bad, or ruin your enjoyment out participating in any public activities. I do not feel I am any less educated than anyone else nor do I feel that I'm lower in the ranks of humans.
I've wished, hoped and prayed that there were a detox that works for smokers. I WANT TO QUIT. I chastise myself regularly for not being able to get rid of what I consider a demon in my life called cigarettes. So please before you throw stones in the form of name calling critsizing etc...Know that folks with these annoyances to you, bother some of them every bit as much as it does you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or